MWO Primer: everything you need to know in one place

91 replies to this topic

#21 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Updated again, this time with an explanation of how crit slots work.

It looks like I'm going to have to find a more permanent hosting solution for the file since file hosting services and Google Docs actually change the URL every time I update and re-upload the file.

#22 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

In the other components section you may also want to include that XL engines will take up 3 slots in each torso (according to table top construction rules at least) and that ferro-fibrous and endo-steel will each take up 14 critical slots, again (not sure if these will be auto-placed or if you can place them on your own). Also jump jets can go in the legs and torso locations.

EDIT: to add that again the ferro-fibrous and endo-steel crit space values are according to TT values, but again I assume that the devs will continue to use table top construction rules with the only apparent deviation being the doubled armor values that we have seen in the MechLab vid.

Edited by Bobfrombobtown, 05 July 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#23 MoxVoid

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Great post! and a much more covert read from at work! ;D

Edited by MoxVoid, 05 July 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#24 Cid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

great work, this should be stickied!

#25 Untouchable

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Great work and something all new players should take a look at.

#26 00seven

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

Astaroth,
Great document! Well laid out and logical flow.

I see now why being a stand alone document doesn't detract from its quality. There is a good reason to separate "Quick Start Guides" from Support and KB wikis. Very well done!

Mods - Another request to stickify this

#27 Glythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

We should get that link stickied.....

#28 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationCanadia's Royal Reservation

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

The primer was good, I'm new to MWO and the universe it is set in and it helped to get me up to speed. Should actually add on more to the lore, for some of the larger events around this time frame.

#29 MoxVoid

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

This deserves to be pinned... It's way more informative then the other pinned newbie guides!

#30 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Glad some folks have found this useful. Any suggestions for permanent hosting?

#31 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

If I had my own hosting, I would gladly host it. However, I don't. Do you know anyone that hosts a website of any kind? Do you know anyone that maintains a blog of some sort?

Edit: Also, maybe the people that are maintaining the unofficial MW:O wiki can host it or add it as a "quick start" deal on the main page or something.

Edited by Bobfrombobtown, 05 July 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#32 Idzuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostAstaroth, on 05 July 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

Updated again, this time with an explanation of how crit slots work.

It looks like I'm going to have to find a more permanent hosting solution for the file since file hosting services and Google Docs actually change the URL every time I update and re-upload the file.
You can share folders on GoogleDocs, just make a new folder, then go to the main page and tick the folder you want to share, then select share up the top of the page and do what you normally do for single files. This way you can have all the previous versions online too. And you just link to the MWO Primer folder.

http://support.googl...er=2375030&rd=1

#33 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostIdzuna, on 05 July 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

You can share folders on GoogleDocs, just make a new folder, then go to the main page and tick the folder you want to share, then select share up the top of the page and do what you normally do for single files. This way you can have all the previous versions online too. And you just link to the MWO Primer folder.

http://support.googl...er=2375030&rd=1

Ahhh... now that might be a good temporary solution.

View PostBobfrombobtown, on 05 July 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

If I had my own hosting, I would gladly host it. However, I don't. Do you know anyone that hosts a website of any kind? Do you know anyone that maintains a blog of some sort?

Edit: Also, maybe the people that are maintaining the unofficial MW:O wiki can host it or add it as a "quick start" deal on the main page or something.

Actually, I do have admin access to a web server I could host it on, but I'm pretty sure my wife would be pissed at me if I used it since it's for her business. :P

I'll check in with the MWO wiki guys and see what they have to say. In the meantime, Idzuna has (once again) saved the day with a good short-term solution.

#34 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostAstaroth, on 05 July 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Actually, I do have admin access to a web server I could host it on, but I'm pretty sure my wife would be pissed at me if I used it since it's for her business. :P

I'll check in with the MWO wiki guys and see what they have to say. In the meantime, Idzuna has (once again) saved the day with a good short-term solution.

ha! Well as long as you are't limited in bandwidth, and won't incur the dreaded "wife aggro" the web server could work. But beware the wife aggro, I hear that stuff is like a bajillion DPS so... yeah.

#35 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostAstaroth, on 05 July 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Feel free to upload the file to MWOwiki site (upload link on the left hand side). Once you do that, you will have a link on that page to constantly upload new versions of it. Alternatively, having a new player guide section on the front page where all this content is in a page instead of a .pdf document would be something I would like to have on there and editing a page instead of re-uploading a .pdf for every update might be easier for you too.

#36 VX Seraphin

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

holy smokes!
what an awesome ,good effort :P
i am one of those people that gets caught up in the refreshed topics screen,therefore i never find the info i am looking for
in a matter of a few minutes i have learned more about this game and what to expect,than in the last 2 weeks of reading everything
This should be the first thing that comes up on the home page to read
would save ALOT of repeated questions/threads
well done good sir
*salute*

#37 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Quick status update.

On the morrow I'm going to add a little more history to the primer since it was requested, then upload it to the MWO wiki as a PDF. Over the weekend I will work at creating a new version of it specifically for the MWO wiki.

#38 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Version 1.0.3 is now posted. The download link in the very first post has been changed to point to the new version. This link will work from now on.

Changes in this version include additional backstory, system requirements added in an appendix, and a small addition to the Galactic Conquest section.

Look for the wiki version to go up over the weekend. The conversion will take a little time, but should be worthwhile for everyone.

#39 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Version 1.0.4 is up. Added sections on salvage and the Unseen.

#40 HANGMAN1962

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 277 posts
  • Locationnew hampshire usa

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

good work done here m8.
dont stop now this has good use later on down the road!

sincerly the"hangman"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users