25 replies to this topic

#1 Rokollus

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 68 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

So, this past week Ive had the chance to alpha test Armored Warfare for a third time. If you like mechanized warfare games this one is great. It uses modern armor from across the globe. Offers pvp and pve with team objectives. (you play as a mercenary, think Black Five) so you are not subject to specific nation type armor
The UI is stupidly easy to understand and navigate.
Windows you can move to your liking and minimize.
Destructible terrain.
Collision damage.
Serious friendly fire. No, serious, your fire does the same dmg to friend and foe alike.
When a MBT (main battle tank) lands a solid hit on a light vehicle, you hope your not the one in the light.
Sadly its not a 'mech' but its more of a thinking mans shooter than some games that lay claim to this title.
Did I mention it was stupidly easy to navigate and insanely clear on descriptions and definitions?

http://aw.my.com/us

#2 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

It is something I have considered in my playlist but I like it to go past alpha and into more of a beta stage. A little busy right now with World of Warships (CBT access and testing), War Thunder and Mechwarrior Online.

#3 Rokollus

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 68 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:39 AM

I think the last alpha test was the final one before beta testing starts. I have beta tested a number of games and to be completely honest AW is more polished in its Alpha stage than most I have played in Beta.

#4 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:38 AM

That sounds very promising indeed.

#5 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

So what makes it different from World of Tanks besides the setting?

Not trolling. I'm serious.

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 06 June 2015 - 01:25 PM.

#6 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:10 PM

From what I have seen in YouTube, things like a much more nuanced use and managment of artillery for example. When targets are spotted, they all have internal warnings, and when they are being artied, they get more warnings. Such mechanics can make AW feel more dynamic, response-reaction driven.

#7 Rokollus

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 68 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:54 AM

My buddies could answer the WoT/AW comparison. I have not played WoT (I like modern/sci-fi games)
I know there is no Gold Ammo. You level up your Armored vehicle and upgrade the tank crew. A new engine, for example will give more mobility and speed (allowing you to dodge the incoming arty a bit easier) Weapon upgrades increase your ammo types (armor piercing, incendiary - 2 for example, there are more) and weapon types, increasing range, speed, and other factors. Crew upgrades increase loading speeds, maneuverability, aiming while moving, ability to extinguish fires before they consume the crew, fix battle damage faster (tracks, engine, stuck turret)

I feel like im short changing the game by not properly describing things. There is a 'pay to gain xp faster' and Founders get a few bonus armor pieces, but even those will be available to general public 12 months after release)
Tanks can (or will, I didnt get that far) drop smoke, and utilize other weapons that become available in the upper tiers.

Cover and light vehicle spotting is crucial to victory. While your Crew gains xp and becomes more efficient at certain processes, you still need to be tactically aware of your surroundings.

One thing I really enjoyed was the fact that a match high score was not always the person with the most kills. Spotting is highly valued and compensated.

Lots of warnings (they can increase effectiveness with a good crew) For example you know when your being targeted or spotted.

One minor 'boo' moment was when a friendly LAV - almost shredded- ran into me and exploded, I was charged with a team kill. - But, ramming is an option that comes in handy when its down to the last and you may be out of rounds or have damaged turret.

edit: The PVE aspect is one huge draw for me and my buds. Being a mercenary unit you can acquire contracts and carry out PVE missions - which is, to my understanding, as much a part of the game as PVP

Edited by Rokollus, 07 June 2015 - 04:00 AM.

#8 Rokollus

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 68 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:03 PM

New trailer introducing new map for Early Access Test 2; starting this week!!

#9 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

That is looking pretty good.

#10 Rokollus

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 68 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:44 PM

Some of the neat things : While driving past an office window you can see pictures hanging on the walls and computers on the desks. When you roll up to a car, it looks like...a car, circular wheels and all; then you crush it. Stone walls and fenced gates? Smash then down and keep moving. See that pile of lumber? When I hit it, it sounds like lumber as the pile splinters to pieces. The stacked tube steel? Yea, sounds like a massive pile of tube steel collapsing as I smash through it. Rolling through some farmland? Thats right, just heard the pumpkin squish and squash under my treads.

Want to just play the game casually yet able to tier up and progress on to big and better things? No problem. Want some cooler bigger and better things? Who doesn't, you say..well..get "X" amount of spotting assists within the first five minutes of a match and your tier progression allows you to branch off and select a different style of scout vehicle. Scouting is for the l2p crowd? Then do "X" amount of damage from 300 meters or more in a MBT (Main Battle Tank) and open other branches of MBT options.....

Who cares about a silly snow capped pine tree? When the tree is knocked over and the snow reacts just like it would in a the physical realm, I do. Its crazy little stuff like this that make me enjoy this game more and more.

Which leaves me scratching my head, because the same game engine was used to create AW as MW:O...........

#11 Rokollus

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 68 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

Another round of early access starting July 1 !!!
Great game.
http://aw.my.com/us

#12 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:08 PM

I'm too lazy to search so I'll just ask: Does this game tax your system more than MWO?

#13 Rokollus

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 68 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 30 June 2015 - 11:08 PM, said:

I'm too lazy to search so I'll just ask: Does this game tax your system more than MWO?

Major patch features
[color=#333333]
[/color]
  • Added Tier 8 vehicles to Dealer Trees
  • Added 'Lowest' setting to graphic options to support more dual core CPUs, as well as some older GPUs
  • Added further optimizations to improve performance for all players
  • Decals are now available to add to vehicles
  • Player versus Environment (PvE) mode: Missions are now available (in easy, medium and hard difficulty)

#14 Robot Kenshiro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:08 AM

Thank you for posting this. I might have to look into this. Cryengine usage here. Which baffles me. This game looks so much better graphically than MWO. And from looking at older pics of MWO I can't understand why they downgraded the look of the game when it never needed changing. I get annoyed every time I think of it. I'm sure everyone that knows Cryengine knows games developed from it look freaking amazing. MWO needs some graphically lift imho. But this game. I'm gonna give this a go. Looks very cool.

#15 Rokollus

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 68 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostRobot Kenshiro, on 01 July 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

Thank you for posting this. I might have to look into this. Cryengine usage here. Which baffles me. This game looks so much better graphically than MWO. And from looking at older pics of MWO I can't understand why they downgraded the look of the game when it never needed changing. I get annoyed every time I think of it. I'm sure everyone that knows Cryengine knows games developed from it look freaking amazing. MWO needs some graphically lift imho. But this game. I'm gonna give this a go. Looks very cool.

I am baffled too. After 3 years and monetary expenditures in the 4 digit range (for me) and they are still talking about balance and tweaks and environment changes.....sad really. AW is by far more polished at this stage than MWO at 3 years.

#16 Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostRokollus, on 01 July 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

I am baffled too. After 3 years and monetary expenditures in the 4 digit range (for me) and they are still talking about balance and tweaks and environment changes.....sad really. AW is by far more polished at this stage than MWO at 3 years.

That's total BS. They have same problems that MWO had in CBT, they already delayed game for over 1,5 years because of it and they have even more problems with the rest more simplified mechanics then MWO have.

They do have a good dev team, but remember those guys released New Vegas - witch was awful mess on realease, they can create good story and atmosphere. But they totally 0% compare to PGI quality wise.

#17 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:00 PM

I don't find tank games having more simplified mechanics, on the contrary, they are more complex, since they incorporate all sort of armor deflection, variety of ammunition types (APCR, HE, APFDS, APHE, APHEBC, HEAT), historical ammunition, historical guns, research on the actual tank's performance, how they handle, details of their armor thickness and so on.

Quality and PGI doesn't belong in the same sentence.

#18 Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:18 PM

Posted Image

All they got from real life are the names and looks of the machines, then they put label ARCADE on top and pervert anything more then Fusion Reactors in our Battlemechs.

More so they gonna BALANCE things the **** out the reality itself - because so real...

#19 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:44 PM

In actuality there is already plenty of public nonconfidential information about these machines, ballistic information and so on, especially among the older types like M60s, T-54s and so on. The more modern stuff, probably will either require filling in the blanks, or working with the tank manufacturer itself, like what Obsidian is doing with the maker of the Russian T-90 tank. The very shape of the tank --- slopes, angles --- that will already provide a good basis for the deflection/penetration mechanics.

This thing right off, comes with destructable terrain. The urban environments I see here are among the best I have seen yet in any game, even better than the War Thunder and World of Tanks.

#20 Rokollus

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 68 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostTank, on 01 July 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

That's total BS. They have same problems that MWO had in CBT, they already delayed game for over 1,5 years because of it and they have even more problems with the rest more simplified mechanics then MWO have.

They do have a good dev team, but remember those guys released New Vegas - witch was awful mess on realease, they can create good story and atmosphere. But they totally 0% compare to PGI quality wise.

Ok

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users