I Find The Term "gg" Extremely Offensive.

87 replies to this topic

#21 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:05 PM

Probally feeding the trolls but GG stood for good game long before it stood for "git good".

To me it always has and always will stand for good game. If you choose to interpret it as the other.....well as others said get a thicker skin.

#22 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:09 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 06 June 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

Dude, you must've smoked some bad granola.

GG is only rude if you rofl stomped the enemy.

Even then its not rude. Even when we crushed a team, or were crushed by a team in hockey we went and shook the other teams hand and said "Good game".

Saying good game after a rofl stomp is not being sarcastic. You are accknowlaging that they played their best and what happened happened. Often times one small tactical error is what causes a rofl stomp and it happens to every unit now and then.

Taking GG as anything other than "good game" is nothing more than being a pissy poor sport who needs to learn how to lose.

GGclose however, when used after a rofl stomp.....that is a douche move but only when its at least a 12 to 4 win. Ive seen some 12 to 5 or 12 to 6 wins where the remaining mechs are sticks and it could have easily swung the other way.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:18 PM

View PostCementi, on 06 June 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Taking GG as anything other than "good game" is nothing more than being a pissy poor sport who needs to learn how to lose.

this.

So much this. IDK if it's video gamer culture in general, or a generational thing, or too many people never actually played real sports or what. But the attitudes amongst today's gamers, and how quickly they take offense to ANYTHING, is pretty sad.

#24 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:32 PM

It had to be said.
Posted Image

#25 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:33 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 June 2015 - 10:18 PM, said:

this.

So much this. IDK if it's video gamer culture in general, or a generational thing, or too many people never actually played real sports or what. But the attitudes amongst today's gamers, and how quickly they take offense to ANYTHING, is pretty sad.

That's this current generation of Americans. They've learned that being offended quiets their opposition, so as soon as they hear something they dislike they cry offense.

#26 Questia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn permanent 250+ ping mode

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:34 PM

I admit, I find GG sometimes offensive. But usually, that's after a long day of losing streaks and frustration.

But still, they're being sportsmanlike, offering to shake your hand even after beating you to a (proverbial) bloody pulp. It's things like this that make games more fun and friendly...

tl;dr, lighten up sir, we're not here to toss insults at each other, and if you got that feeling, we're sorry, that's not what we meant.

PS. I know the real person can be quite a ***** (I've played with him and can vouch for that, ask me and I'll tell), but man you're blaspheming his name. And I think this is violating the name-and-shame rules?

Edited by Questia, 06 June 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#27 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 06 June 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

That's this current generation of Americans. They've learned that being offended quiets their opposition, so as soon as they hear something they dislike they cry offense.

Sad, but true.
Cowboy up my friends

#28 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 06 June 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

It's more or less the whole western society, not just Americans.

#29 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:52 PM

'Good Game' congratulates the other team for playing well. Of course if it's a stomp you shouldn't say GG in the "All" chat. In stomps you say GG to your teammates, but there are no rules.

It's hilarious in some MMO's how players howl absurd profanities for five or more minutes in the global chat when they lose a pvp match. All you hear in MWO is GG. How cool is that?

#30 Cool will never die but you will

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIn a Cockpit

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:52 PM

i have a feeling that some one in this thread was on a no-fly list.

#31 Weztside

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:56 PM

No one cares.

#32 SnowDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 476 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:02 PM

GGclothes

..Because I took them

Because you are bad at MWO

<3

#33 3CLIPZ3

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:12 PM

in all my years of gaming I have never heard of "git good"

#34 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:16 PM

Most of the people who type 'gg' at the end of a match don't even know what it means. It's some some stupid, meaningless gesture they learned by rote, something as mindless as an auto-executing macro. Which some people do, in fact, set up to completely automate their 'gg's and thus take all the human element out of them.

Used to bother the hell out of me as well, to the point where I started a similar thread back in the day. Heh...I got much the same responses, of course. I suppose to me, real sportsmanship is saying actual words that have actual meaning to them. A "Good fight all, nice game" can't be brushed off or misinterpretted, nor is it used cruelly or sarcastically. Nor can it be mistaken as a meaningless throwaway gesture with no impact.

Shaking your opponent's hand face-to-face in a sporting event, or at a card tournament (full disclosure: sucked at sports, hated them with a passion, played a metric buttgrip of TCG tournaments and so still has something resembling a clue) is a great little ritual because it makes you look that guy in the eye and offer your thanks for the chance to play. I always shook my opponent's hand at the card table, or offered a "nice game, bro!", or whatever else the player in question was most comfortable with.

Heh, it's why I refuse to 'gg' in MWO. Typing 'gg', then disconnecting within two seconds before you even bother to read anything anyone else might say is - to me, anyways - a perversion of proper sportsmanship. Hollow, empty, meaningless, pointless. Some people see it differently though, and to them a match isn't complete without that last 'gg' thrown out there for the three players in twenty-four who actually know what it means.

Let them have it. If they're mocking you they're doing a poor job of it, and if they're actually trying to be legitimate good sports then they don't deserve your scorn. You're never going to change it, and all you'll get for trying is...well, two pages of p!ss and vinegar.

#35 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:22 PM

Perhaps so, okay I will type the GG words out.

#36 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

View Post1453 R, on 06 June 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

<snip>

Heh, it's why I refuse to 'gg' in MWO. Typing 'gg', then disconnecting within two seconds before you even bother to read anything anyone else might say is - to me, anyways - a perversion of proper sportsmanship. Hollow, empty, meaningless, pointless. Some people see it differently though, and to them a match isn't complete without that last 'gg' thrown out there for the three players in twenty-four who actually know what it means.

<snip>

And this is exactly why 'gg' is used so often instead of "good game" or something much longer, it's quick and most people disco 2-3 seconds after a match and won't see a typed long, thought-out message.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 06 June 2015 - 11:25 PM.

#37 Questia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn permanent 250+ ping mode

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

View Post1453 R, on 06 June 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

- snip -

/thread
Well said, sir.

#38 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:52 PM

I usually compliment my team mates in team chat with a "gj everyone", or "well played team" on a win.

Very, very seldom do I type anything at all in the general chat after a win - precisely because I dislike having "gg" thrown in my own face by the stomping team after a 12-0 defeat. It wasn't a "good game", it was a stomp, and I got rekt. No need to rub my face in it.

On the odd occasion where it's a close game (12-11 to 12-8 or so), there's usually "gg everyone" coming from both sides. That's sportsmanship and thanking your opponent for a good game.

But the "gg" on 12-3 or 12-0 stomps? Not necessary, not wanted, and not sporting in the slightest.

#39 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:22 AM

It's not 'offensive', that's just stupid.

It is, however, incredibly annoying and irritating to see 'gg' after an extremely one-sided game (e.g. 0-12, 1-12, 2-12).

That's not the same as 'I'm offended'. If you're 'offended' then there's something wrong with you.

View Post3CLIPZ3, on 06 June 2015 - 11:12 PM, said:

in all my years of gaming I have never heard of "git good"

Clearly you've never played Call of Duty.

Edited by Yosharian, 07 June 2015 - 12:23 AM.

#40 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:23 AM

GG after a stomp is rude and from what I've seen by now it has been used more than once after a stomp to insult the loosing site even more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users