I Find The Term "gg" Extremely Offensive.

87 replies to this topic

#41 Boris The Spider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:01 AM

The problem is that stomps are often subjective, in a 12-2 match it could be that the 'stomping' team has several mechs that are just one shot away from being dead or crippled, and just because you went down easy doesn’t mean that elsewhere on the battlefield it was a intense and enjoyable fight. Of course, if the enemy mechanically plough their way through your team in under 3 minutes and nobody breaks 200 damage, then that would be stomp.

#42 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:01 AM

Posted Image
op b troll'n hard

#43 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:06 AM

View PostTwenty0ne, on 06 June 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

Why on earth is the MWO community so toxic?

Always telling people to "Git Gud" at the end of a match is a **** move.

Gg

#44 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:22 AM

Troll thread. But Good Game can be used either as actual good game, or sarcastically to rub in the defeat.

If it was an actual close battle then GG will be taken as a polite comment.

But if you have just 12-0 it then you shouldn't say it in all chat because many will just see it as being sarcastic.
Try and say something which won't be considered to be trash talking.
In team chat its fine, because they did do good to stomp the enemy.

#45 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:30 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 06 June 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

It's more or less the whole western society, not just Americans.

Not really. Honestly, the 'I'm offended' is a thing I rarely ever hear in germany, and it's used as a joke most of the times. Generally, it's expected to stand above such things and rather provide a reasoning. Instead of trying to use 'I'm offended' as the main reasoning, since you can't apply a purely subjective feeling to everyone. Especially when it comes to media, which is as easy to avoid as to switch a channel or not play a game.

The recent social media debate is the first time i've ever heard people using it dead serious and en masse as a real argument with only barebones reasoning, going as far as to condemn media and their creators, sometimes crossing the line of pro-censorship views - though often through 'public' (here meaning some angry guys on social media) pressure, than through legal means.
Not to mention trying to search for ulterior motives in every corner. I can tell you, the polish witcher devs surely didn't expect some internet mob to try to create the idea of their game supporting sexist and racist motives.

Edited by Averen, 07 June 2015 - 01:34 AM.

#46 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:44 AM

GG is simply a sportsmanship thing. It's to acknowledge that a game was played, and that there was a victor. If you're a bad sport that gets salty when you lose, that's on you.

#47 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:01 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 June 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

If this is not a troll post, you really need to get a thicker skin, kid.

It's a troll, suiciding himself and trying to teamkill.

Just ignore that guy, it's not like he is important.

in General, GG = Good Game.

But for him, it's really is "Get Good" (you can even use GGM: Get Good Moron)

Edited by KuroNyra, 07 June 2015 - 02:02 AM.

#48 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:34 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 06 June 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

Dude, you must've smoked some bad granola.

GG is only rude if you rofl stomped the enemy. Then type GGClose.

FTFY

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 07 June 2015 - 02:35 AM.

#49 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:31 AM

I find this thread offensive. :blink:

I would hate to have some of you on my side in case of a real life battle, sniveling whining complaining little maggots need to toughen up.

Man up or don't breed, GG and God Bless

#50 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:46 AM

GG is for the unoriginal herd. If you can't be witty just shut up.

Same goes for o7.

You may be saluting a pedo. This is the internet after all.

Join a team if you feel the need to chat or say something other than dronespeak.

#51 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:57 AM

I am reminded of Gilda Radner's skits as,
Emily Litella (http://en.wikipedia....i/Emily_Litella)

at the end, when she realizes that she got it wrong she says meekly, "Never mind."

Edited by Foxwalker, 07 June 2015 - 03:58 AM.

#52 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:05 AM

View PostTwenty0ne, on 06 June 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

Why on earth is the MWO community so toxic?

Always telling people to "Git Gud" at the end of a match is a **** move.

Well, first off you don't even know what "gg" means in the context it is used.

One reason why it might be toxic is that we have people complaining about things they do not even know about.

If you do not care for sportsmanship, when "gg" is used in context, then I suggest you turn off All Chat so you are no longer subjected to it and the rest of us do not have to read you complain about it.

#53 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:16 AM

This post is a troll!
I'm my times G ******* Gmeant a very close game or just gg when it was politeness.

View PostTWIAFU, on 07 June 2015 - 04:05 AM, said:

Well, first off you don't even know what "gg" means in the context it is used.

One reason why it might be toxic is that we have people complaining about things they do not even know about.

If you do not care for sportsmanship, when "gg" is used in context, then I suggest you turn off All Chat so you are no longer subjected to it and the rest of us do not have to read you complain about it.

Well said.

#54 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:18 AM

I almost always 07 at the beginning of the match out of respect for all the players on both sides. I always used to gg at the end, out of respect for all players on both sides (many years of coaching kids sports teams kinda ingrains that in your head) until I found out it offends some people now I just gg my team. But, I don't really understand why it is offensive. Maybe I will start ggclose'ing when my team gets stomped...as an insult to the other team for doing better than us.

#55 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:22 AM

View Poststjobe, on 06 June 2015 - 11:52 PM, said:

But the "gg" on 12-3 or 12-0 stomps? Not necessary, not wanted, and not sporting in the slightest.

In professional Ice Hockey, even when one side blows the other out of the water 5-1 all the players line up at the end and shake hands.

They do that even after games where guys got into fist fights.

That's what "good game" is.

When you lose, badly, you still need to man up and shake the other team's hand.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 07 June 2015 - 04:22 AM.

#56 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:22 AM

I admit I do not like it when someone on either team types GG at the end of a match that is not closer than 12-3. I do find it rude. I don't do sports. Deal with it. On the other hand, if I am on the losing team and we get rolled even 12-0, if the enemy had good tactics I will type wp enemy team. I don't need the enemy telling me good game. It wasn't a good game, they had good tactics. PERIOD. If it were a good game it would be a close game. I don't mind losing. I do mind losing badly and having the winner type gg.

#57 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:29 AM

View Poststjobe, on 06 June 2015 - 11:52 PM, said:

I usually compliment my team mates in team chat with a "gj everyone", or "well played team" on a win.

Very, very seldom do I type anything at all in the general chat after a win - precisely because I dislike having "gg" thrown in my own face by the stomping team after a 12-0 defeat. It wasn't a "good game", it was a stomp, and I got rekt. No need to rub my face in it.

On the odd occasion where it's a close game (12-11 to 12-8 or so), there's usually "gg everyone" coming from both sides. That's sportsmanship and thanking your opponent for a good game.

But the "gg" on 12-3 or 12-0 stomps? Not necessary, not wanted, and not sporting in the slightest.

View Postmailin, on 07 June 2015 - 04:22 AM, said:

I admit I do not like it when someone on either team types GG at the end of a match that is not closer than 12-3. I do find it rude. I don't do sports. Deal with it. On the other hand, if I am on the losing team and we get rolled even 12-0, if the enemy had good tactics I will type wp enemy team. I don't need the enemy telling me good game. It wasn't a good game, they had good tactics. PERIOD. If it were a good game it would be a close game. I don't mind losing. I do mind losing badly and having the winner type gg.

View PostGrisbane, on 07 June 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

I know the OP is trolling but in one part he is correct. saying GG in a stomp isn't sportsmanship.. it's being a d!ck. many games will chat ban you for just that. many MMO's organized units will not let their members even speak to the opposing team at all. i find it is a good practice, no one can get upset or possibly chat banned over it.

then the problem is with you, not with the enemy who say GG. You don't do sportsmanship, others do...deal with it.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 June 2015 - 04:30 AM.

#58 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:33 AM

im personally slightly annoyed when people on the winning team say gg unironically
it sounds as 'we won you and now we will rub salt in your wounds'
i personally almost never say it unless to tease enemy, for instance when they r-word as hard but we still won by cap i sometimes can say something like 'gg easy', which is kind of a bad sportsmanship (a bannable offense in lol btw if you do it often)... but :3

#59 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:41 AM

GG use is like cops, Plenty of bad ones the good cops protect then make excuses for. If GG use was so holy they would go after the baddies who use it as a club.

Sorry, you use gg or o7 I pretty much think your a scumbag or covering for one.

#60 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:45 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 07 June 2015 - 04:22 AM, said:

In professional Ice Hockey, even when one side blows the other out of the water 5-1 all the players line up at the end and shake hands.

They do that even after games where guys got into fist fights.

That's what "good game" is.

When you lose, badly, you still need to man up and shake the other team's hand.

A 5-1 ice hockey game can still be a "good game" - a 12-0 roflstomp in MWO cannot. Claiming it was a "good game" is not sportsmanship, it's just rubbing the losing team's noses in their defeat.

As I said above, I rarely type anything in general chat after a game, but on the odd occasion I do it's usually to compliment the enemy team on good tactics if they beat us. I never ever claim a 12-0 stomp on my team's part to be a "good game" - it wasn't.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 June 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

then the problem is with you, not with the enemy who say GG. You don't do sportsmanship, others do...deal with it.

Oh do **** off Bishop. I compliment people who kill me with "good shot" or "well played [whoever killed me]", I compliment the enemy team with a "well played OPFOR" if they beat us in a well-fought game, I compliment my team in team chat with "well played" or "gg" when we win, or "good effort" if we lose but played well, but I would never stoop so low as to call out "gg" to a losing team on a stomp.

It's not sportsmanship, it's just bad form.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users