World Of Warships Vs Mwo

143 replies to this topic

#1 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

I love big metal things with lots of guns. :)

So I finally plonked down $34 and got a premium pack for Word of War Ships (since its in closed beta you have to pay to get in). I played it all day yesterday and wanted to report back to MWO world with what I found.

1) that game is going to be good. In terms of content its only 1/2 complete (the russians, germans and british are not there, only the US and Japanese are), and I am sure they will be doing a ton of nerfs/buffs to the weapons/ships but without a doubt its off to a very good start. The graphics, audio (the sound of shells firing, wow), maps and the detailed modelling they have done for the ships is amazingly good.

2)maps are large but not too large. You never spend more than 1-2 minutes getting to where the action (even in the slowest ship) but there is plenty of open seas, narrow straits, islands, ice bergs etc etc to navigate around, hide and to strategize for. I think they've gotten that pretty well balanced out compared to MWO.

3)ship tree is restrictive. You have to "research" class 4 to get to class 5. Unlike in MWO where you can go from a Commando to a Dire straightaway, there is a much more of a "grind"

4)they also have MC, C-bills, XP and GXP (of course there are called their own names) and that operates pretty much the same way. On top of this they also have Commanders that can be also "trained up". So consider it another "currency"

5)match making works much better. Since the matchmaker works based on the class of the ship, you get a much "fair" game. So if you have progressed out to level 7 but want to have fun in a fast, light armored early age cruiser, you can hop in one and have a blast. Unlike in MWO where elo is a big deal I found this to be better. In MWO if you have high elo and you go in with a fun build, your team will probably loose and it will not be fun for anyone :(

6)matchmaking is fast. The server had about 3000 players, but I never waited more than 5mts for a game and 90% of the time I am in a game in 1-2 mts. The one time it went to 5mts, they put me in a 1vs1 deathmatch with another similar sized ship in a smaller map. That was fun.

7)the reward/achievement banners and popups look great. For what ever their other faults, games like Call of Duty, BattleField have very addictive reward/achievement popups. Coupled with the right sound effect you really feel like you've unlocked something awesome. WOWS have done a good job with this too. Each critical hit is celebrated with a small flag, I know it sounds cheesy, but it addictive.

8) pay to win - well the "premium" level 4 ship I got sucked. I had so much more fun and better results in the "free" ships. So yes, you can buy a few unique ships if you pay, but they don't feel overpowered. I had flashbacks of how much different this was the case with MWO when the clans first came out. Timberwolves were tearing up non $$ mechs left right and center. Not good times.

so overall, I think that game is shaping out nice. I for one will definitely play it more.

#2 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

Sooooo and why did you post this?

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:48 PM

View PostGayang3, on 08 June 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

3)ship tree is restrictive. You have to "research" class 4 to get to class 5. Unlike in MWO where you can go from a Commando to a Dire straightaway, there is a much more of a "grind"

I don't see how that's a good thing.

It both makes the game feel even more grindy (as you said), and it also creates an obnoxious arm's race (i.e. class 3 mechs only exist to be killed by class 4 mechs, class 4 mechs only exist to be killed by class 5 mechs, etc.).

In general, I really have never understood the amount of hype surrounding World of [Insert Vehicle Type Here]. Isn't World of Tanks the game that invented stuff like Gold Ammo? That says everything that needs to be said...

Edited by FupDup, 08 June 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#4 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

No one is going to buy a hero they can't drive. ;)

#5 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 June 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

I don't see how that's a good thing. It both makes the game feel even more grindy (as you said), and it also creates an obnoxious arm's race (i.e. class 3 mechs only exist to be killed by class 4 mechs, class 4 mechs only exist to be killed by class 5 mechs, etc.).

well not really. At least the way it worked when I played it, they group similar class ships when matchmaking. So when I go in my level 6, only 5/6/7 levels were there (and similar when I went in my level 2s and 3s).

it sure makes it more grindy. But it keeps one motivated

View PostNovakaine, on 08 June 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

Sooooo and why did you post this?

Hey sorry man, I thought this was a free country and all...... didn't realize I had to post only the things you approve of. :P

No but seriously, why? Because I think there is a lot that MWO can learn from that game.

#6 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

Isn't World of Tanks the game that invented stuff like Gold Ammo? That says everything that needs to be said...

Isn't Mechwarrior online the game that invented stuff like Ghost heat. That says everything that need to be said....

#7 Apewar

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

I've watched a few vids from baron on youtube. its looks great but until it goes open beta its hard to judge the game. they don't have the population to get many scrubs and Baron had mentioned that they might employ limited ammo on the ships. the aircraft carriers seem to be underpowered and destroyers having smoke and the torpedoes to sink anything seems to be the first thing the masses would complain about. I really have enjoyed the vids tho

#8 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

In general, I really have never understood the amount of hype surrounding World of [Insert Vehicle Type Here]. Isn't World of Tanks the game that invented stuff like Gold Ammo? That says everything that needs to be said...

They seems to have reined this back in. A quick search shows they got rid of most of that in late 2013.

#9 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:04 PM

"GENERAL DISCUSSION

For constructive general discussion of MechWarrior® Online™"

This doesn't belong here because you aren't discussing MWO.
Looks to me more like you are making an advertisement for another game.

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 08 June 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

Isn't Mechwarrior online the game that invented stuff like Ghost heat. That says everything that need to be said....

I've complained about Paranormal Heat a lot over the years... I've just slowed down on it because of begrudging acceptance that it's a Legacy Feature™ now.

#11 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

View PostApewar, on 08 June 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

I've watched a few vids from baron on youtube. its looks great but until it goes open beta its hard to judge the game. they don't have the population to get many scrubs and Baron had mentioned that they might employ limited ammo on the ships. the aircraft carriers seem to be underpowered and destroyers having smoke and the torpedoes to sink anything seems to be the first thing the masses would complain about. I really have enjoyed the vids tho

That's how I got hooked too. Thanks to the "auto suggest" gods at youtube. lol :)

This video in particular https://youtu.be/EBK_sjscarI

#12 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostGayang3, on 08 June 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

No but seriously, why? Because I think there is a lot that MWO can learn from that game.

You mean learn a lot from a system that's actively been in use by Wargaming.net since World of Tanks?

Or how about Warthunder with it's physics emulation and internal crew and mechanics behavior?

I could also look over at Star Conflict which has a similarly tiered system as Wargaming.net and War Thunder but gaijin (the developer) opted to make it so the stuff you start with doesn't become obsolete by making it so you just increase in ship classes...Start in recon/interceptor. Work your way up to a battleship. The interceptor is still capable of doing it's role but the battleship has the big guns and it's own defined role...

#13 Draal Kaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 356 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

Ok, comparing these two games isn't working out... Yes, i play WoWs too.
It is similar to the point that in both games you're shoting at things... That's it.
If you want ot compare, then maybe take WoT...

Btw, Gayang: It is still closed Beta at WoWs.... I think there is a NDA over there? Just sayin'...

And: Yes, the gold ammo thing was there in [World of something]. And it doesn't matter anymore.

#14 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostLexx, on 08 June 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

"GENERAL DISCUSSION

For constructive general discussion of MechWarrior® Online™"

This doesn't belong here because you aren't discussing MWO.
Looks to me more like you are making an advertisement for another game.

Yeah, talking about something else is an advertisement for it. Whatever man. Go ahead and ignore all the things that I have said about MWO (how its different, similar, what it can learn from this other thing etc etc). -_-

View PostDraal Kaan, on 08 June 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Btw, Gayang: It is still closed Beta at WoWs.... I think there is a NDA over there? Just sayin'...

oops, didn't really think about this. But there are detailed youtube videos of game play and ships and rewards and everything else with thousands of views. I don't think they care too much. lol

#15 Draal Kaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 356 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostGayang3, on 08 June 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

oops, didn't really think about this. But there are detailed youtube videos of game play and ships and rewards and everything else with thousands of views. I don't think they care too much. lol

Yeah i know, but afaik these video guys do have permission to promote the game with their videos.
But yes, might be the case that Wargaming won't do much about it.
Just wanted to drop a note...

And: My Yubari rocks. :D

#16 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

View PostDraal Kaan, on 08 June 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

Yeah i know, but afaik these video guys do have permission to promote the game with their videos.
But yes, might be the case that Wargaming won't do much about it.
Just wanted to drop a note...

And: My Yubari rocks. :D

Thanks. Aaah, the Yubari. That's what I should have taken, not the Gremyaschchy (which drives like a Ferrari but then shoots duds) lol

#17 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:22 PM

could also look over at Star Conflict which has a similarly tiered system as Wargaming.net and War Thunder but gaijin (the developer) opted to make it so the stuff you start with doesn't become obsolete by making it so you just increase in ship classes...Start in recon/interceptor. Work your way up to a battleship. The interceptor is still capable of doing it's role but the battleship has the big guns and it's own defined role...

This is how MWO should be. Lights shouldnt be obsolete as soon as you buy a heavy. We need bigger maps so lights can actually scout.

#18 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

View PostGayang3, on 08 June 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

I love big metal things with lots of guns. :)

So I finally plonked down $34 and got a premium pack for Word of War Ships (since its in closed beta you have to pay to get in). I played it all day yesterday and wanted to report back to MWO world with what I found.

1) that game is going to be good. In terms of content its only 1/2 complete (the russians, germans and british are not there, only the US and Japanese are), and I am sure they will be doing a ton of nerfs/buffs to the weapons/ships but without a doubt its off to a very good start. The graphics, audio (the sound of shells firing, wow), maps and the detailed modelling they have done for the ships is amazingly good.

2)maps are large but not too large. You never spend more than 1-2 minutes getting to where the action (even in the slowest ship) but there is plenty of open seas, narrow straits, islands, ice bergs etc etc to navigate around, hide and to strategize for. I think they've gotten that pretty well balanced out compared to MWO.

4)they also have MC, C-bills, XP and GXP (of course there are called their own names) and that operates pretty much the same way. On top of this they also have Commanders that can be also "trained up". So consider it another "currency"

5)match making works much better. Since the matchmaker works based on the class of the ship, you get a much "fair" game. So if you have progressed out to level 7 but want to have fun in a fast, light armored early age cruiser, you can hop in one and have a blast. Unlike in MWO where elo is a big deal I found this to be better. In MWO if you have high elo and you go in with a fun build, your team will probably loose and it will not be fun for anyone :(

6)matchmaking is fast. The server had about 3000 players, but I never waited more than 5mts for a game and 90% of the time I am in a game in 1-2 mts. The one time it went to 5mts, they put me in a 1vs1 deathmatch with another similar sized ship in a smaller map. That was fun.

7)the reward/achievement banners and popups look great. For what ever their other faults, games like Call of Duty, BattleField have very addictive reward/achievement popups. Coupled with the right sound effect you really feel like you've unlocked something awesome. WOWS have done a good job with this too. Each critical hit is celebrated with a small flag, I know it sounds cheesy, but it addictive.

8) pay to win - well the "premium" level 4 ship I got sucked. I had so much more fun and better results in the "free" ships. So yes, you can buy a few unique ships if you pay, but they don't feel overpowered. I had flashbacks of how much different this was the case with MWO when the clans first came out. Timberwolves were tearing up non $$ mechs left right and center. Not good times.

so overall, I think that game is shaping out nice. I for one will definitely play it more.

Im interested in World of Warship too but remember that everyone is new and much of the novelty will fade away when everyone decide what is the best way of action on each map.

#19 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

This should be in the off topic forum.

You say its going to be good, but world of tanks is less complex than this, effectively only three weapons of different sizes, and the pro russian bias is so obvious, its laughable.

World of Warplanes terrible and with more russian bias

I dare say world of warships will be just as weak, lots of over powered imaginary russian vessels, against the weakest fits of other nations

#20 CptGier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

I don't see how that's a good thing.

It both makes the game feel even more grindy (as you said), and it also creates an obnoxious arm's race (i.e. class 3 mechs only exist to be killed by class 4 mechs, class 4 mechs only exist to be killed by class 5 mechs, etc.).

Yeah, I hate WoT and just about everything they have done there. Gold ammo, making armor and heavy tanks useless. Game is just run and gun tank shooter now...auto loader everything.....basically the WoT laser vomit meta....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users