World Of Warships Vs Mwo

143 replies to this topic

#21 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:31 PM

View PostCathy, on 08 June 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

You say its going to be good, but world of tanks is less complex than this, effectively only three weapons of different sizes, and the pro russian bias is so obvious, its laughable.

World of Warplanes terrible and with more russian bias

I dare say world of warships will be just as weak, lots of over powered imaginary russian vessels, against the weakest fits of other nations

Given how they've not yet released any of the free to play russian (or German) ships this could very well be. But at the moment the US and Japanese factions seem to have a very good balance going. We will see I guess.

#22 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:05 PM

Don't like the grind to win games, sooner or later they build layers on the game to keep the grind oriented players and then they become unbeatable and everyone else leaves. I like that in MWO a player of one month can have the same mech as a player of 3 years. It places skill as the primary determining factor.

#23 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

View PostGayang3, on 08 June 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Given how they've not yet released any of the free to play russian (or German) ships this could very well be. But at the moment the US and Japanese factions seem to have a very good balance going. We will see I guess.

Russia had a navy in WWII?

:ph34r:

#24 Buzzkillin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

View PostKhobai, on 08 June 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

This is how MWO should be. Lights shouldnt be obsolete as soon as you buy a heavy. We need bigger maps so lights can actually scout.

When did lights become obsolete?

#25 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 June 2015 - 01:05 PM, said:

I've complained about Paranormal Heat a lot over the years... I've just slowed down on it because of begrudging acceptance that it's a Legacy Feature™ now.

Sigh... i agree. at this point it's take what ya get. I've been hopping since double armor was implemented that some sort of step wise optimization http://www.jmp.com/s...on_Models.shtml was being performed behind the curtain.....over time it seems like its not.

Whats not being said by the OP is a compare and contrast between the WOT developers who brought us "gold" rounds and PGI.... paranormal heat. Being part of this game from almost day 1 has been so incredibly painful since i do optimization work professionally. I literally optimize development projects by executing multiple factor DOE's http://www.jmp.com/s..._Workflow.shtml

The other element is that WOT is making money. granted its for 2 games following the same line of development. but thats whats key. The design scope for development included all tanks from WWI to Korea and built models governing performance. PGI had full access to clan tech and beyond before friends and family night. huge difference between the two development studios.

#26 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

View PostGayang3, on 08 June 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

well not really. At least the way it worked when I played it, they group similar class ships when matchmaking. So when I go in my level 6, only 5/6/7 levels were there (and similar when I went in my level 2s and 3s).

it sure makes it more grindy. But it keeps one motivated

Hey sorry man, I thought this was a free country and all...... didn't realize I had to post only the things you approve of. :P

No but seriously, why? Because I think there is a lot that MWO can learn from that game.

Hey careful buddy, if Novakaine isn't interested, nobody is. Just ask, he'll tell ya.

#27 Desorem

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:35 PM

At least WoSmthing has a distinctive icons for each type of smthig on minimap and a special color for lance mates.
:rolleyes:

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

View PostGayang3, on 08 June 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

5)match making works much better. Since the matchmaker works based on the class of the ship, you get a much "fair" game. So if you have progressed out to level 7 but want to have fun in a fast, light armored early age cruiser, you can hop in one and have a blast. Unlike in MWO where elo is a big deal I found this to be better. In MWO if you have high elo and you go in with a fun build, your team will probably loose and it will not be fun for anyone :(

It's a closed Beta, with minimal population, not sure one can really gauge the MM, just yet.

#29 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

When did lights become obsolete?

when hit reg became good enough that they actually got hit

#30 Leiska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:59 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 08 June 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

Isn't Mechwarrior online the game that invented stuff like Ghost heat. That says everything that need to be said....

Why are you trying to compare apples to oranges? Heck, these features are so different they aren't even both fruits. Gold Ammo is a blatant P2W scheme, ghost heat is a balancing feature.

#31 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:06 PM

View PostLeiska, on 08 June 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Why are you trying to compare apples to oranges? Heck, these features are so different they aren't even both fruits. Gold Ammo is a blatant P2W scheme, ghost heat is a balancing feature.

A balancing feature that was unneeded if a proper heat scale and heat scale penalties were applied in the original balance scheme...like the source material.

#32 Leiska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

View PostMirkk Defwode, on 08 June 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

A balancing feature that was unneeded if a proper heat scale and heat scale penalties were applied in the original balance scheme...like the source material.

Doesn't matter if it was needed or unneeded. His argument was nonsensical.

Besides, nobody cares if it works in the source material. Lots of weird stuff works in the source material because it's not an FPS.

#33 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostLeiska, on 08 June 2015 - 03:08 PM, said:

Doesn't matter if it was needed or unneeded. His argument was nonsensical.

Besides, nobody cares if it works in the source material. Lots of weird stuff works in the source material because it's not an FPS.

Funny, for most mathematical systems a direct port tends to work.

At least trying a direct port would've been more interesting that having a system that doesn't make sense and is not intuitive to the user. Plus having many of those elements from the user be hidden for a long time so they don't get why they're being punished with more heat than what the math says. Admittedly that's fixed now and there is a tiny warning when you have too many of the weapons equipped but the whole thing is just a poor idea.

#34 CptGier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 08 June 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

Russia had a navy in WWII?

:ph34r:

Its WG, if Russia didnt, they will just start by giving the Russians the Kuznetsov class Aircraft carrier and a trio of nuclear subs.

Edited by CptGier, 08 June 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#35 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:38 PM

It looked super slow paced and boring to me to be honest.

#36 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostGayang3, on 08 June 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

So I finally plonked down $34 and got a premium pack for Word of War Ships (since its in closed beta you have to pay to get in).

...and based on this Im no longer interested in it.

burnt once by leg pack thx

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 08 June 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

It looked super slow paced and boring to me to be honest.

theyre warships.... not speedboats... Kinda goes with the territory

#37 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:45 PM

Im wondering... will the next PGI game be Aerospace Online? Then Tanks online?

#38 solid matt

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

The NDA has been lifted. I have about 500 games and let me tell you. I am bored with it. I got in before the pay to play and it is just not as fun. I loved CVs and DDs. But it is just boring. Just saying but my feelings are thus way. But your mileage may vary.

#39 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

World of Warships is a 3D version of a game called Navyfield that has been around for a decade.

Check it out.

http://www.navyfield.com/

I was literally playing World of Warships close to 10 years ago. Its nothing new to me.

#40 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:35 PM

The Coolant, Artillery and Airstrikes in MWO are the equivalent of Gold Ammo in WoT. They are consumables to win, either paid in a high price with ingame currency (to make you want to pay Premium time) or direct gold currency. They have the same effect of greatly reducing earnings after a game if you are not using gold currency on them.

World of Warships does not have gold ammo, and there is no lore provision to allow one. In WoT, they take APCR or HVAP ammo as gold ammo. In historical wartime, APCR or HVAP are Tungsten tipped subcaliber shells with extreme penetration but are very costly to produce, which is why only few, if ever, were handed out to tank screws. There is no historical precedent for this in ships, nor in aircraft; World of Warplanes doesn't have gold ammo either. War Thunder has APCR, since this is part of tank lore, but they reflect APCR much more realistically. APCR/HVAP are solid shells without any HE inside them to explode inside a tank. They are essentially dud shells and rely on spalling (the shell and the tank wall breaking up into fragments) or directly hitting a critical part or crew member for damage. You have a much lower chance of an instant kill with APCR/HVAP than you do with a regular APHE or APHEBC shell.

I have been playing WoWS for a month now, and I like it much more than WoT, or even MWO. Heck I like it more than even War Thunder. Its a winner right off. The graphics are incredible, the best I have seen in any game and yet they get a high smooth framerate. The client is solid and I don't experience any disconnections nor graphics glitches. It doesn't feel like a beta and already has a high degree of polish and presentation. The music is wonderful, sounds like the soundtrack of a movie than the military banners in War Thunder. The only thing beta about it is the balancing (still borked) and still lacking sufficient content, such as nations, tech trees, sheer number of ships and definitely needs more maps.

But once again, in my opinion, this is a winner. There is great strategic and positional play --- the first decision you make in the game where you head out to or who you follow --- can be decisive. The strategic play would soon devolve into a series of local tactical battles. This is what I believe war games should play. Even without respawn, games tend to be long, your persistance inside the game lasts much longer than in MWO or in WoT, and stomps are almost nonexistant. Every battle seems to go to the last, and even when you think your side is winning, all of a sudden the tides can change --- and this happens all the time, not a rarity.

Edited by Anjian, 08 June 2015 - 08:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users