World Of Warships Vs Mwo

143 replies to this topic

#41 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:08 AM

I recently wrote a huge impressions article about WoWs. It explains the main components of the game and mechanics in decent detail. Take a look if you have no idea what this game is about.

Overall, it's a very polished experience. The gunnery is really fun, addicting and the battles play at a slower pace with some explosive moments. The matches are real tug of war experiences rather than MWO's matches dominated by streamrolls. Even in closed beta with a limited number of players, the matchmaking is either instant or takes like 10 seconds on average. It's a great therapy after MWO's infuriating spinning wheel. I don't think this game will ever be as deep as MWO simply because it doesn't have a 'Mechlab and the customization is poor, but it doesn't mean it's not fun.

If you enjoy MWO, you'll probably enjoy this too. I'm having a blast playing it during my break from MWO.

Edited by Tahribator, 09 June 2015 - 02:09 AM.

#42 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:22 AM

View PostGayang3, on 08 June 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

well not really. At least the way it worked when I played it, they group similar class ships when matchmaking. So when I go in my level 6, only 5/6/7 levels were there (and similar when I went in my level 2s and 3s).

That's basically the weight class matching we have in pug queue.

But where do they balance a newbie with a lvl2 ship against an experienced player, who drops with a lvl2 ship?

-----------------------------

I really fall asleep, when I watch WoW streams. -_-

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 09 June 2015 - 02:23 AM.

#43 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:35 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 08 June 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

Russia had a navy in WWII?

:ph34r:

Yes... but funnily enough they never had much of a launch :ph34r:
Posted Image

#44 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:56 AM

View PostDoctorDetroit, on 09 June 2015 - 03:08 AM, said:

MWO has way better action and more customization than WoW. That is not likely to change soon.

I am not sure how customization means more fun. The advantages of customizations is mute when you have metas.

WoWs is definitely slower paced but its also a lot more calculating and mentally demanding. Gunnery in MWO is super easy, its point and shoot. Not here, shells take a while traveling 12km and so its important you have to mentally calculate your lead targeting. When you actually get to kill something, and killing here isn't as easy either, it feels infinitely more rewarding.

Edited by Anjian, 09 June 2015 - 03:57 AM.

#45 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:57 AM

View PostTombstoner, on 08 June 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

Isn't Mechwarrior online the game that invented stuff like Ghost heat. That says everything that need to be said....

You mean a system that actually curbed ridiculous builds, lowered TTK, and helped surprisingly, despite being hated by many people? Yep, they made it. Say what you want, but GH actually works, and helps.

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 09 June 2015 - 02:22 AM, said:

That's basically the weight class matching we have in pug queue.

But where do they balance a newbie with a lvl2 ship against an experienced player, who drops with a lvl2 ship?

-----------------------------

I really fall asleep, when I watch WoW streams. -_-

They don't match them. There is no system like Elo to help. If you're in a ship, you'll be grouped with people piloting ships around that tier. They could be newbs like you, or they could be vets out on a pub stomp.

#46 DLFReporter

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationAlpenfestung

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:08 AM

I agree that WOWS is tons of fun, but I fear that the grind and the paywall will only increase as soon as the game leaves the beta.

Don't be tricked by your initial feelings: Stomps and murderballs do happen and that quite often, as in any MMOG. As soon as one team gets its stuff together the other team will fail.

#47 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:58 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 09 June 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

You mean a system that actually curbed ridiculous builds, lowered TTK, and helped surprisingly, despite being hated by many people? Yep, they made it. Say what you want, but GH actually works, and helps.

No such thing as ridiculous builds only bad game mechanics. Nothing wrong with 6ppc's. however 6 ppcs all hitting the same spot with a heat capacity system that lets you function without shutting down on top of no heat penalties. within an ablative game mechanic.... yea somethings wrong with the fundamental design. where as WOW seems to be proceeding well. where as MWO needs a steam release.

#48 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostTahribator, on 09 June 2015 - 02:08 AM, said:

I recently wrote a huge impressions article about WoWs. It explains the main components of the game and mechanics in decent detail. Take a look if you have no idea what this game is about.

Overall, it's a very polished experience. The gunnery is really fun, addicting and the battles play at a slower pace with some explosive moments. The matches are real tug of war experiences rather than MWO's matches dominated by streamrolls. Even in closed beta with a limited number of players, the matchmaking is either instant or takes like 10 seconds on average. It's a great therapy after MWO's infuriating spinning wheel. I don't think this game will ever be as deep as MWO simply because it doesn't have a 'Mechlab and the customization is poor, but it doesn't mean it's not fun.

If you enjoy MWO, you'll probably enjoy this too. I'm having a blast playing it during my break from MWO.

I read your piece, its great.

View PostAnjian, on 09 June 2015 - 03:56 AM, said:

I am not sure how customization means more fun. The advantages of customizations is mute when you have metas.

WoWs is definitely slower paced but its also a lot more calculating and mentally demanding. Gunnery in MWO is super easy, its point and shoot. Not here, shells take a while traveling 12km and so its important you have to mentally calculate your lead targeting. When you actually get to kill something, and killing here isn't as easy either, it feels infinitely more rewarding.

Indeed. It really feels like you've achieved something when you kill a ship in WOWS. Heck, even getting a critical shot feels great. As I said in my original post, I think they've really gotten the "badge/popup" part right. I love seeing all my achievement badges on screen and the art work on those are great too.

#49 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:22 AM

View PostDLFReporter, on 09 June 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

I agree that WOWS is tons of fun, but I fear that the grind and the paywall will only increase as soon as the game leaves the beta.

Don't be tricked by your initial feelings: Stomps and murderballs do happen and that quite often, as in any MMOG. As soon as one team gets its stuff together the other team will fail.

I don't find stomps happening very often in both WoT and War Thunder, although I can complain about short games in WoT. But in MWO, stomps happen so routinely now they are the common rule, and close games the exception. That should not be the case. Most losses in War Thunder tend to occur for example, because one team isn't pursuing the capping objectives, they are not even trying at all, just going for the kills. That's also seems to be true in World of Warships and with games that feature objective based Domination modes. But if both teams are determined, you will see the game see saw back and forth between the teams.

Stomps don't often happen in War Thunder because of respawns and very large maps. Stomps don't often happen in World of Warships because of very large maps, and because each warship has ginormous amount of HP that it takes a very long time (in game time) to kill them.

As for grind, yes they are grindy, but I will have to say, I spent way more money on MWO than WoT and War Thunder put together. MWO is simply my most expensive online game by far. I mean, MWO charges regular mechs in Pay in Advance paywalls for cripe's sakes. None of the other two games do that. Their regular content are packed into tech trees you can grind freely for. You can't compare MWO mech packs with WoT's and WT's premium packages because the mech packs are sellling regular mechs, not hero or elite mechs. You have to compare MWO's hero mechs to WoT's and WT's premium vehicles, as that is a true apples to apples comparison (premiums give you bonuses in cash and research XP which regulars don't).

Edited by Anjian, 09 June 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#50 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostAnjian, on 09 June 2015 - 08:22 AM, said:

I don't find stomps happening very often in both WoT and War Thunder, although I can complain about short games in WoT. But in MWO, stomps happen so routinely now they are the common rule, and close games the exception. That should not be the case.

Stomps don't often happen in War Thunder because of respawns and very large maps. Stomps don't often happen in World of Warships because of very large maps, and because each warship has ginormous amount of HP that it takes a very long time (in game time) to kill them.

As for grind, yes they are grindy, but I will have to say, I spent way more money on MWO than WoT and War Thunder put together. MWO is simply my most expensive online game by far. I mean, MWO charges regular mechs in Pay in Advance paywalls for cripe's sakes. None of the other two games do that. Their regular content are packed into tech trees you can grind freely for. You can't compare MWO mech packs with WoT's and WT's premium packages because the mech packs are sellling regular mechs, not hero or elite mechs. You have to compare MWO's hero mechs to WoT's and WT's premium vehicles, as that is a true apples to apples comparison (premiums give you bonuses in cash and research XP which regulars don't).

My experience so far exactly. With maps so large (no artificial choke points, like in the Community Warfare maps) there is never going to be a case of one team rolling through the countryside focus firing on everyone. What I have seen is smaller fights erupting all across the map with 2 or 3 ships each. This makes for a much more enjoyable situation (getting pounded by 12 mechs vs going on a 2v2 or 3v3 fight).

And also, the idea that MWO is immune to Pay to Win is absurd. How do you explain whole classes of superior mechs being released months in advance for money?

Everyone does this, lets not kid ourselves

#51 Draal Kaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 356 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:08 AM

View Postsolid matt, on 08 June 2015 - 05:43 PM, said:

The NDA has been lifted. I have about 500 games and let me tell you. I am bored with it. I got in before the pay to play and it is just not as fun. I loved CVs and DDs. But it is just boring. Just saying but my feelings are thus way. But your mileage may vary.

Really? NDA lifted? Haven't seen that message in the forums over there...

Regarding boredom: It has the same boredom level we have over here. And with the pace and reload speed on battleships it is the perfect game when drunk.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 09 June 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

They don't match them. There is no system like Elo to help. If you're in a ship, you'll be grouped with people piloting ships around that tier. They could be newbs like you, or they could be vets out on a pub stomp.

Well that's a good point.
The entry Tiers can (or better: will) be frustating when the newbie is meeting the 38209401 Games Player.
I dropped once in Tier 2 Destroyer (did not think about it.. was just for fun) and i was in a match with new players only.

Edited by Draal Kaan, 09 June 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#52 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

I just tried WoWS because of this thread and the gunnery part hooked me instantly. Initial impression was good but it's getting boring fast when I realized that it only has minimal customization (this is pretty major for me - one reason I also like barbie dress up RPG games) and higher tier ships are just better from the few I have seen. I especially dislike the latter if it's true because you will feel that they dangle a carrot in front of your face for you to chase endlessly (like MWO's skill system) and when you finally get the best, what purpose do the lower tiered ships serve? Please tell me that this is not true!

#53 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

View PostAnjian, on 09 June 2015 - 03:56 AM, said:

"Mentally calculate" lol... they give you a circle to aim at. The MWO "meta" is not as monochromatic as you think. Though fads do happen, they are not absolutely better.

Edited by DoctorDetroit, 09 June 2015 - 12:11 PM.

#54 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 09 June 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

I just tried WoWS because of this thread and the gunnery part hooked me instantly. Initial impression was good but it's getting boring fast when I realized that it only has minimal customization (this is pretty major for me - one reason I also like barbie dress up RPG games) and higher tier ships are just better from the few I have seen. I especially dislike the latter if it's true because you will feel that they dangle a carrot in front of your face for you to chase endlessly (like MWO's skill system) and when you finally get the best, what purpose do the lower tiered ships serve? Please tell me that this is not true!

Yes there is little by way of customization. But since each of the ships handle and fire so differently (with different AA and Torpedo capabilities to go along with that) each ship feels very very custom. To me this is comparable to MWO where, sure, you can customize each mech, but once in the battle field you are still firing a UAC5 or a MPL (the build maybe different but the gun and the firing characteristics are the same)

Personally I found it playing low tier ships as much fun as playing the high tier ones (I am still at level 6). For example, I have the level 5 Cruiser Omaha but I still run the level 4 Phoenix (for its speed) and the level 3 St. Louis, because of its 16 guns.

And the opponents I am pitted against are all in the same level too. So I don't have to go against a level 7 behemoth in my level 3. I am more likely to be tangoing with another level 3 (or a 2 or a 4).

#55 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

View PostGayang3, on 09 June 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

Personally I found it playing low tier ships as much fun as playing the high tier ones (I am still at level 6). For example, I have the level 5 Cruiser Omaha but I still run the level 4 Phoenix (for its speed) and the level 3 St. Louis, because of its 16 guns.

And the opponents I am pitted against are all in the same level too. So I don't have to go against a level 7 behemoth in my level 3. I am more likely to be tangoing with another level 3 (or a 2 or a 4).

Well, thanks for the answer! I guess I'll be playing it more.

#56 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 09 June 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

No such thing as ridiculous builds only bad game mechanics. Nothing wrong with 6ppc's. however 6 ppcs all hitting the same spot with a heat capacity system that lets you function without shutting down on top of no heat penalties. within an ablative game mechanic.... yea somethings wrong with the fundamental design. where as WOW seems to be proceeding well. where as MWO needs a steam release.

Hence why they implemented heat penalties. Pin point convergence isn't even a problem. Instant PP convergence is. Which can't be fixed on the Stalker, since it has no arms, so it's not impacted by any fixes to the convergence system. The scaling heat cap is a problem too (a solid 30 heat cap across the board with DHS heatsinks that cool at 2Hps each instead of 0.2 could help). All I can say is that you don't see 6 PPC stalkers anymore, or even 4 PPC ones. You don't see 9ML HBKs firing all 9 right into your keyster either. It helped put some control on many builds, without making them very restrictive.

You might not like it, but it works, and it got results. Good players still carried like it's not a big deal, and the bad ones flailed and whined, because they couldn't adjust. Literally the same pattern with every single patch/fix.

#57 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostDoctorDetroit, on 09 June 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

"Mentally calculate" lol... they give you a circle to aim at. The MWO "meta" is not as monochromatic as you think. Though fads do happen, they are not absolutely better.

There is no circle to aim at in WoWS. In fact, you DO NOT Point and Shoot at WoWS. You truly have to gauge the speed of the target, its direction, note the same on yours, where you want to land your shots in anticipation where you think the enemy ship might be a second later. You do see multiple circles in your rangefinder but that only shows where your turrets are currently pointed, and not necessarily what you should shoot at. You then wait till they go green, and fairly converged at the point you want to drop your shells into.

As targets get closer and move faster you have to adjust your targets again, from shooting ahead of the ship to shooting right at its bow, so the shells fall into the citadel.

Torpedoes are also something that must be shot with lead target anticipation.

Currently my best regular ships are:
LvL 5 Kongo BB
LvL 6 Fuso BB
Lvl 4 Wyoming BB
Lvl 5 New York BB
Lvl 6 Cleveland CL
LvL 5 Omaha CL
LvL 4 Phoenix CL
LvL 4 Kuma CL
LvL 5 Furutaka CA
LvL 6 Aoba CA

I discovered I like cruisers more than battleships and destroyers, because of their speed, versatility, and rate of fire, which makes them very good for players that constantly react to a fluid game situation (like me) versus players who has a premade battle plan in their heads, which is the tendency for BB, CV and DD players. The Cleveland class and the Aoba heavy cruiser are currently my best ships and I am now in reach of both the Pensacola heavy cruiser class and the Myoko heavy cruiser. I think I will get both. Waiting for the Takao/Atago class to drop presumably in the patches ahead, and kind of looking at the possibility of acquiring the Atlanta class CL premium.

Posted Image

Edited by Anjian, 09 June 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#58 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:24 AM

View PostAnjian, on 09 June 2015 - 07:51 PM, said:

There is no circle to aim at in WoWS. In fact, you DO NOT Point and Shoot at WoWS. You truly have to gauge the speed of the target, its direction, note the same on yours, where you want to land your shots in anticipation where you think the enemy ship might be a second later. You do see multiple circles in your rangefinder but that only shows where your turrets are currently pointed, and not necessarily what you should shoot at. You then wait till they go green, and fairly converged at the point you want to drop your shells into.

As targets get closer and move faster you have to adjust your targets again, from shooting ahead of the ship to shooting right at its bow, so the shells fall into the citadel.

Torpedoes are also something that must be shot with lead target anticipation.

Currently my best regular ships are:
LvL 5 Kongo BB
LvL 6 Fuso BB
Lvl 4 Wyoming BB
Lvl 5 New York BB
Lvl 6 Cleveland CL
LvL 5 Omaha CL
LvL 4 Phoenix CL
LvL 4 Kuma CL
LvL 5 Furutaka CA
LvL 6 Aoba CA

I discovered I like cruisers more than battleships and destroyers, because of their speed, versatility, and rate of fire, which makes them very good for players that constantly react to a fluid game situation (like me) versus players who has a premade battle plan in their heads, which is the tendency for BB, CV and DD players. The Cleveland class and the Aoba heavy cruiser are currently my best ships and I am now in reach of both the Pensacola heavy cruiser class and the Myoko heavy cruiser. I think I will get both. Waiting for the Takao/Atago class to drop presumably in the patches ahead, and kind of looking at the possibility of acquiring the Atlanta class CL premium.

Posted Image

Alright sounds fun. I must of confused it with the other war gaming stuff.

#59 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:27 AM

View PostDoctorDetroit, on 10 June 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

Alright sounds fun. I must of confused it with the other war gaming stuff.

Possibly Warthunder, which on the casual levels has guide sights for air combat.

#60 Draal Kaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 356 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

Regarding the point "which tier to play"...:

If you reach tier 10 and play there you will see a good argument for playing lower tiers as well (or still): Repair&Rearm...
In a bad match at tier 10 you lose money, simple as that.

On the other hand higher tiers usually offer more BÄM and more module slots....

And of course, the ships feel... Most ships do behave differently.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users