14 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:06 AM

I have reason to believe that the Cauldron Born will likely be relegated to fire support, thanks to its ballistic hardpoints. Ideally, I'd first like to try a triple C-UAC/5 build, and see how that works out for fire suppression.

I don't know how much it can carry with max armor, so I was wondering what is known about it.

#2 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostVaskadar, on 11 June 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

I have reason to believe that the Cauldron Born will likely be relegated to fire support, thanks to its ballistic hardpoints. Ideally, I'd first like to try a triple C-UAC/5 build, and see how that works out for fire suppression.

I don't know how much it can carry with max armor, so I was wondering what is known about it.

With max armor, it has about 28 tons of pod space.

#3 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:34 AM

So you can definitely mount 3 UAC5's and have sufficient space left over for ammo and a couple of lasers as backup.

#4 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:45 AM

This 'mech's hardpoints are too similar to Timberwolf's so you can just put many of TBR's loadouts here without much difficulties but it's also boring.... One thing it can't do is multiple SRMs and small (pulse) lasers.

Another noticeable difference is that EBJ doesn't have 2M hardpoint on the side torsi but it gained a single M-hardpoint (for what it's worth) on each arm and you can always put 2 or 3 MGs with 1 ton of ammo on any build.

#5 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:24 PM

2 UAC/5, 3 ERML, 1 ERLL - I am become death, destroyer of worlds.

I don't recall ever having posted 300,000+ C-bills and 110 points multiple times in my first five matches with any mech, ever. I think that this thing may be a bit OP with the scaling - a mech shaped like a medium with the weaponry of a heavy. I wouldn't object to it being bigger along all three axes, just because those weapons on a mech smaller than the Nova is probably not right, even counting how overly-large the nova itself is. Swap the sizes of the two and it'd be perfect.

You mention the TBR, and that is definitely an obvious parallel, but while it is the same speed and can run similar load outs, it doesn't *feel* like a Timber - it feels like a Stormcrow of all things, at least to me in terms of how I play it. A dwarfen, slow SCR with stupid amounts of firepower.

I am in love!

#6 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:49 PM

Personally, I think the EBJ is going to become the new meta. It's agile as anything, 10 tons lighter than a TBR, and has some great hardpoints/can do laser vomit well. Those 10 tons saved by running EBJ/EBJ in CW could go a long way. I could even forsee a drop deck of something like EBJ/EBJ/HBR/IFR or EBJ/EBJ/WHK/KFX. Just spitballing, but it could happen.

#7 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

EBON JAGUAR EBJ-A "Ankou"
Ran this one to moderate/decent success.

EBON JAGUAR EBJ-PRIME "Dagda"
Ran this one fairly successfully. The high-mounted large lasers make it a great sniper. Recommend toying around with alternate builds and possibly rearranging hardpoints to your liking.

EBON JAGUAR EBJ-B "Balor"
The predictable laser vomit setup. Assume it will do well.

EBON JAGUAR EBJ-B "Balor" Mod 0
Same alpha as the other Balor, better sustained DPS, and slightly better cooling.

EBON JAGUAR EBJ-C "Chulainn"
The streak boater. Want to vaporize lights? Suppress foes at a distance? Here you go.

EBON JAGUAR EBJ-C "Chulainn" Mod 0
More for fire support and long-distance suppression. Slightly less ammo-dependent than the previous build.

Edited by Vaskadar, 16 June 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#8 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:48 AM

I figure I'll list some of my builds I've toyed with...

EBJ-PRIME
Fast Dual Gauss along the lines of the Yagers. You can trade some ammo for lasers, but... You probably want the extra double shots.

EBJ-A
Triple UAC5 with a triplet of SPLs for some extra close in punch.

EBJ-B
Absolutely brutal and massively overly hot... 4xLPL+3xMPL. You constantly run the redline of heat, but you can literally strip a mech apart in seconds.

EBJ-B
7xMPL... I run a Timbie with the same loadout in nearly identical positions...

EBJ-B
Higher than cockpit ER PPC for hill hump sniping. Everything else is for up close brawling and if you can manage your heat well you should take people apart.

EBJ-B
Three ER PPCs specifically for sniping, the SPLs are solely for close up work against things like lights.

EBJ-A
This is actually a build I made for close in brawling style work. The Triple LB2-X is for range or once you've striped the armor off of someone and with their brutal ROF anything without armor is doomed. The 2xMPL and 5xSPL makes you a solid hitter up close.

#9 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

EBJ is never going to replace the TBR imho:
1. 10 ton lighter with the self-evident weaknesses that imposes on a chassis
2. No JJs
3. No arm movement
4. It's not fast

Yep, I think it's good but it's not a game-changer.
1. It's short (by the way, it's meant to be DON'T CHANGE IT)
2. Very flexible builds
3. Relatively high mounted hardpoints
4. Medium mobility on a heavy chassis (so, is it a heavy medium or a light heavy?)
5. Great cockpit

It is a great addition to the Clan heavy stable but in no way replaces the Hellbringer or Timber Wolf.

#10 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 17 June 2015 - 07:07 AM, said:

4. It's not fast
4. Medium mobility on a heavy chassis (so, is it a heavy medium or a light heavy?)

I'd argue that it's equally as fast as both HBRs and Timbies (all do 81/89 kph). Except for lack of ECM it has a better set of mounts than the HBR does and can hold as much fire power as a Timbie does (both have 33 tons for weapons default). The only downside to it compared to the Timbie is the lack of JJs as an option and less armor (because it's 10 tons lighter and max armor is based on weight). I'd also argue that the very open torsos with their high mounts are strongly competitive against the very limited torsos of the Timbie.

The Ebon Jags best role is probably mobile fire support and while I don't play clan in CW... I'd say a CW deck with Ebon Jags replacing some of those HBRs (usually huge ECM overlap anyways) could cause major problems for IS players as the Ebon Jag hits harder than the HBR does. Combined with the Artic Cheetah next month which can compete with IS Firestarters, the clans will have a much heavier punch then they do even now.

Edited by Shadey99, 17 June 2015 - 12:20 PM.

#11 SN95Mustang

• Pip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

Totally agree, tho I could see in the future that they will release the champion a 65 ton is mech similar to the ebon jag

#12 Mordecai McTiernan

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:31 AM

I like my Lasers, I like my EBJ-B :D
No wasted tonnage, no wasted slots, works well for me all around.

And as for Drop Deck: 3 x EBJ + 1 x ADR :D

#13 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:20 PM

It looks cool and carries more weapons tonnage than a Timber Wolf but my impression so far is that it's not as tough.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cc89d80d651a7f0

Edited by LMP, 18 June 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#14 Mordecai McTiernan

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:19 AM

Here is another one I tried out recently and really enjoy:

2 x ERLL | 3 x A-SRM 6 w/ 4 tons of Ammo | Active Probe | 21 DHS

Lasers for longer range (they are also just below the cockpit so you do not need to expose too much).
When it comes to close up fighting, which, at least for me, happens in most matches, the A-SRM provide a nice punch.

Edited by Mordecai McTiernan, 20 June 2015 - 04:19 AM.

#15 Thorn Fidelis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFixing Weaponry Like Sharpening Knifes For Efficient Kombat Effectivness

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

Vaskadar I Added You Because You Seem To Build Mechs Like I Do What I Can Tell You The Couldron Born Was Make For Brawling Like The Vulture Was Make For Missile Support And The Timber Wolf Was Make For Support The Daishi Was Make For Alpha Strike And Brawling 1vs1 The Gladiator Was Make For Alpha Strike Sniping The Cheetah Was Make For Peeka Boo And Harass Mechs The Hellbringer And Summoner And Gargoyle For Brawling The Stormcrow For Close Fire Support The Adder For Sniping With 2 PPC's The Nova Cat Was Make For Chain Laser Fire Those Are All Good Clan Mechs The Rest PGI **** Up And Need To Remake Them

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users