I Spent $1000 On Star Citizen And Didn't Even Get A Game!

333 replies to this topic

#1 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

Need I continue?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

If we try to use Star Cit as the baseline for game business models, I think we're gonna have a bad time...

#3 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostFupDup, on 11 June 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

If we try to use Star Cit as the baseline for game business models, I think we're gonna have a bad time...

Agreed ;)

#4 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostFupDup, on 11 June 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Posted Image

#5 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

That game may turn out ok or even great but it makes a great point. This forum is being trolled about players asking for what they initially bought into and the trolls say thats greedy.(although not knowing english they are using another word) The trolls also say "now that you paid your money, f off" LOL they work for insurance companies where I am from or what? :)

Much of the industry is selling half made games..... many that never get finished or are worked on with little change for years. I suspect Steam already got in trouble for that actually with recent developments concerning refunds etc.

I will say this much for absolute certainty, no other industry could get away with selling unfinished products like the video game industry has up till now. Thats a fact. How this has gone on for so long is anyones guess. That players are getting trolled so much on all fronts regarding complaining about this is also a wonder.

Edited by Johnny Z, 11 June 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:31 AM

Now you've gone and picked the worst possible example to make MWO look good. :)

EDIT: Just to clarify, comparing MWO to Star Citizen doesn't really put MWO in a good light.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 21 June 2015 - 01:19 AM.

#7 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 11 June 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

EDIT: Just to clarify, comparing MWO to Star Citizen doesn't really put MWO in a good light.

I guess they're yet to fail to deliver what they promised and be declared worst thing after Adolf. It's only a matter of time though.

Edited by Tahribator, 11 June 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#8 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

Lol

You mean all that talk of Star citizen has the 2nd coming of video games and how they always deliver....and they were wrong?

Color me shocked.

#9 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

Ok, I lol'd. I have about $200 invested into SC while I'm up to $1600+ in MWO.

Posted Image

#10 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostTahribator, on 11 June 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

I guess they're yet to fail to deliver what they promised and be declared worst thing after Adolf. It's only a matter of time though.

Oh, I have no doubt there will be many who will be disappointed. It's pretty much inevitable when you have one million players with a million different sets of expectations. Now, they've already failed to deliver what they promised many times, by pushing back release dates, tweaking the rules for LTI, etc.

But even if you disregard what Star Citizen has promised to be (which is just... mind boggling, so ambitious that I don't think many sane people expect them to deliver all they've promised) and just focus on what Star Citizen has delivered already... it's pretty damned impressive. I won't get into detail, but suffice it to say... they have working cockpit monitors ;)

#11 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 11 June 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

Oh, I have no doubt there will be many who will be disappointed. It's pretty much inevitable when you have one million players with a million different sets of expectations. Now, they've already failed to deliver what they promised many times, by pushing back release dates, tweaking the rules for LTI, etc.

But even if you disregard what Star Citizen has promised to be (which is just... mind boggling, so ambitious that I don't think many sane people expect them to deliver all they've promised) and just focus on what Star Citizen has delivered already... it's pretty damned impressive. I won't get into detail, but suffice it to say... they have working cockpit monitors ;)

I heard the game was the second coming of jebus. What happened?

#12 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostEider, on 11 June 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

I heard the game was the second coming of jebus. What happened?

Unless you heard it from me, nothing happened :)

#13 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

Star Citizen's business model, if they even have such a thing, is just loopy. It seems like they're trying to bankroll themselves on a handful of big ticket digital sales instead of appealing to a much wider customer base with much more sanely priced digital items.

The concept of the game is probably too ambitious for it to ever be fully realized, but it does look interesting. Right now it seems like they took the same route PGI did with this game, starting with an area shoot'em up and not a whole lot else.

#14 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 11 June 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

Star Citizen's business model, if they even have such a thing, is just loopy. It seems like they're trying to bankroll themselves on a handful of big ticket digital sales instead of appealing to a much wider customer base with much more sanely priced digital items.

The concept of the game is probably too ambitious for it to ever be fully realized, but it does look interesting. Right now it seems like they took the same route PGI did with this game, starting with an area shoot'em up and not a whole lot else.

The business model is a good point. So many games out because they are being backed by bank loans. Bank loans are given it seems because so much is being made in the games entertainment industry. Anything a game makes in the mean time feeds into all of this. A successfull kick starter isnt enough to make the game or even get it started, but it is enough to prove to the bank theres a market for it........

Star Citizens operating budget is truly impressive at this point.

Most business loans are for 5 years as far as I know, which can explain some of these games taking so long to get developed, and development cycles etc.

Many could possibly be dragging out development to collect their pay cheques from the loan before it all runs out etc.. :) Many businesses, not just video games, operate this way in fact.

Edited by Johnny Z, 11 June 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#15 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Are we just going to flood the forum with the same exact thread? Hell, at least "lurms OP" threads vary in their rage, reason, or story. These threads are just one sentence (at best) "qq harder entitlement scrubs" or "need more pgi".

Step up, macrothread creators.

#16 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

star nerdizen

#17 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

View PostSoy, on 11 June 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

star nerdizen

2nd Life in Space!

#18 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:03 PM

I have $75 invested in Elite Dangerous and am happy with it. You can keep SC.

#19 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:04 PM

I suspect SC will be the next MWT

#20 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:05 PM

I have plenty of ships. Most with LTI.

But anyways. That's a different game that won't be out for ages. And I'm OK with that.

I have MWO to hold me over and Eve Online,or other games like Killing Floor 2.

You bought a capital ship didnt you? Lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users