134 replies to this topic

#121 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

View Postjjyn, on 18 June 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

If had watched the posts on executioner with mask it showed IS masc stats, so something has too be able too carry it, why not this mech. But if i read it correctly mask will be able too go in any mech in the allowed weight class for the mask unit.

No, only certain mechs can have it, like ECM and JJs. There are no mechs in the game right now that have MASC but the Koala, and the Shadowcat next month.

There is a terrifying variant of Cataphract that has it in time line, as well as 2 wolverines, which is it as far as I know. Exempting mechs that will never be, like the Flea, because it would run almost double the current speed cap :P

#122 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 22 June 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

No, only certain mechs can have it, like ECM and JJs. There are no mechs in the game right now that have MASC but the Koala, and the Shadowcat next month.

There is a terrifying variant of Cataphract that has it in time line, as well as 2 wolverines, which is it as far as I know. Exempting mechs that will never be, like the Flea, because it would run almost double the current speed cap :P

Mercury has one - definitely in the timeline.

#123 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 22 June 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

Mercury has one - definitely in the timeline.

Well.... Yes and no.... The Mercury was extinct by 3050... Plus, it does exceed the speed cap, albeit not by much... It's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it any time soon.

#124 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 22 June 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

Well.... Yes and no.... The Mercury was extinct by 3050... Plus, it does exceed the speed cap, albeit not by much... It's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it any time soon.

It wasn't extinct, it just wasn't being actively produced and was "extremely rare". They still existed past the current time line, and I believe they got resurrected later as well? Don't we have another very rare mech model in lore in this game as it is? And, don't forget we all can get the one of a kind hero mechs... (and we all live as Princes and princesses with how freely we can customize our mechs...)

Anyway, being a relative of the Crab, I'd love to have a Mercury.

#125 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostTesunie, on 22 June 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

It wasn't extinct, it just wasn't being actively produced and was "extremely rare". They still existed past the current time line, and I believe they got resurrected later as well? Don't we have another very rare mech model in lore in this game as it is? And, don't forget we all can get the one of a kind hero mechs... (and we all live as Princes and princesses with how freely we can customize our mechs...)

Exactly - if we have the Crab, Black Knight, and King Crab, we can have the Mercury.

#126 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostTesunie, on 22 June 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

Per Sarna it was flat out extinct:

In the Succession Wars which followed, the Mercury factories were destroyed and the design teetered on the edge of the abyss. Of those SLDF units which stayed behind, the 3rd Regimental Combat Team had the highest concentration of the 'Mechs, with twelve Mercury's gathered together in the 8th Recon Battalion. All of them were ultimately lost during fighting on Sendai in 2798.[1][5] As the years wore on those desperate few Mercuries still clinging to existence were increasingly rebuilt in haphazard fashion with less advanced and more shoddy parts until they ceased to look quite like the noble 'Mechs they once were. In the end nothing could be done to stop the decline of the Mercury and it eventually became extinct in the Inner Sphere.

ComStar did indeed have some squirreled away however, and started manufacturing them again after the clan invasion. So, it's possible they'll appear. But their speed potential makes them unlikely, unless they aren't allowed to use any engine greater than stock. The stock engine, with MASC is exactly the game's speed limit. Though, in-game MASC doesn't provide the same speed as TT, so one or two levels higher engine is feasible...

#127 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 22 June 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Per Sarna it was flat out extinct:

ComStar did indeed have some squirreled away however, and started manufacturing them again after the clan invasion. So, it's possible they'll appear. But their speed potential makes them unlikely, unless they aren't allowed to use any engine greater than stock. The stock engine, with MASC is exactly the game's speed limit. Though, in-game MASC doesn't provide the same speed as TT, so one or two levels higher engine is feasible...

Though Sarna is good, and that does sound about right (and don't forget we can also draw upon Comstar for mechs for use in MW:O), I'd like to remind that Sarna can be altered by just about anyone.

As I said here though, your quote sounds about right. Just mentioning this fact. (As I've actually seen someone bring Sarna into an ECM debate, and before they linked the Sarna article, the ECM section of the article "strangely changed" to describe ECM as implemented in MW:O. Basically, the person altered Sarna to say what they wanted it to, to support their argument, and then linked their altered section.)

I still see, even if it was extinct at this time in the story, having the mech in the game. After all, we are playing a game, and the game is suppose to cover everything from "this point in the timeline, back". Maybe... it could be described as a hidden catch of them was found?

As far as engine cap, speed cap and MASC, do recall that MASC doesn't boost your top speed as much as it does in TT. It could also just have a speed cap, and once it hits that speed cap, even if MASC would take it over the cap, it just stops there. At least till they find a way to increase that cap again.

#128 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostTesunie, on 22 June 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

Though Sarna is good, and that does sound about right (and don't forget we can also draw upon Comstar for mechs for use in MW:O), I'd like to remind that Sarna can be altered by just about anyone.

As I said here though, your quote sounds about right. Just mentioning this fact. (As I've actually seen someone bring Sarna into an ECM debate, and before they linked the Sarna article, the ECM section of the article "strangely changed" to describe ECM as implemented in MW:O. Basically, the person altered Sarna to say what they wanted it to, to support their argument, and then linked their altered section.)

I still see, even if it was extinct at this time in the story, having the mech in the game. After all, we are playing a game, and the game is suppose to cover everything from "this point in the timeline, back". Maybe... it could be described as a hidden catch of them was found?

As far as engine cap, speed cap and MASC, do recall that MASC doesn't boost your top speed as much as it does in TT. It could also just have a speed cap, and once it hits that speed cap, even if MASC would take it over the cap, it just stops there. At least till they find a way to increase that cap again.

Hahaha, seriously? Wow... Some people will do anything...

Sounds reasonable. And you would still get the other benefits of MASC with the accel boost and such. It's a neat looking little mech, so I'd certainly welcome it to the fold. Maybe it could get a 10% cbill boost quirk for easy maintenance :3

I hope they do get the speed cap raised at some point... I would LOVE to get a Roadrunner, and scorch the map at a blistering 243KPH XD God that would be fun!

#129 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:04 PM

Other in-timeline MASC:

Fire Moth (SUPER MUCH TOO FAST BROTHERS II: THE LOST LEVELS)

Hermes (waaaaaay too fast)

Vulcan 5S

Wolverine 7D and 7M

Cataphract 3L

....at least, that's all the ones mentioned in the 3050 material printed in or by 1996. My books are oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold.

#130 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:31 PM

View PostTesunie, on 22 June 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

that's why all wikis have a way to check and quickly revert the edit history

hm, i am not sure what exactly you mean, this one? http://www.sarna.net...34&oldid=385445

somebody should fix it if it's wrong, right now it looks just as expanding the article

#131 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 22 June 2015 - 11:31 PM, said:

that's why all wikis have a way to check and quickly revert the edit history

hm, i am not sure what exactly you mean, this one? http://www.sarna.net...34&oldid=385445

somebody should fix it if it's wrong, right now it looks just as expanding the article

The teal column on the top sounds like someone's attempt to alter the article to make it match the MW:O version of ECM (and BAP) to some extent. The basic article itself seemed to be close to it's original TT and lore descriptions, from what I quickly glanced over. (Then again, I'm no expert about these things, but I don't believe BAP was ever used to counter ECM, not even during the Star League.)

I believe the article was reverted back from that person's attempt to "win the argument". I don't think it stood for very long, but it was long enough to convince those who hadn't read the article before hand that ECM always did what it does on MW:O. It was a rather big mess of an argument/debate, and the falsified information really didn't help the situation much.

(In TT, Guardian ECM removed the benefits of Artemis when fired within it's sphere of influence, canceled BAP and NARC, could produce ghost signatures (advanced rules) and made it so you couldn't split fire your shots between one target and an ECM equipped target.)

This section I have serious questions about, and it does not sound correct to me:
"While electronic countermeasure systems had been in use for centuries in the Inner Sphere, towards the end of the Age of War these systems had become ubiquitous, making it much harder for units to find and target each other until it was too late. In an effort to combat this fog of war, the Star League developed the Beagle Active Probe to cut through the haze of electronic jamming and locate units quicker and sooner than before. However the League soon became concerned that it's Member States would acquire the Beagle and use it against them, leading to the development of the Guardian ECM Suite."

If this "magic" ECM was Star League tech, why don't the clans have it? BAP counters one ancient "powerful" ECM suit, but doesn't counter and is shut down by a weaker (Guardian) ECM suit? It just doesn't make sense to me, and doesn't match my understanding of BT lore. (BAP only detects shut down mechs, keeping you safe from ambushes, primarily. It does a couple other things, but was never designed to counter any ECM that I am aware of.)

The Game Rules section sounds spot on to me though.
If someone really want to add in the MW:O ECM description, it probably should be added into the Apocryphal Content section...

#132 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:17 AM

Probably the best IS medium pokey mech.
Ive had many 1k dmg games in high elo bracket. (think my highest was 1350 ish)
Use it in comp also - adding to that its my CW must go mech for whatever map, suprisingly cool for using 3 LPL - good at range, awesome medium range, solid in CQB.
3xLPL, left side dominant so teaches someone how to use cover and use a shield arm and not just the typical right side.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5a427c9985982a8

Just because a lot of people using these mechs are new players doesnt mean we need to build these mechs like 4yr olds.
remember guys - quirks isnt everything, stop relying on them so much, think outside the box, learn how a mech moves, feels, tanks before you start saying 'MUST USE QUIRKS OR I NOOB'

Edited by Arn0ldSchwarzenegger, 25 June 2015 - 04:23 AM.

#133 Ruuki

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:40 AM

View PostTodo Ringman, on 16 June 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

ugly and that is quite cocky. i dont any likes on your post.

It's a proven effective build for the 4R, so yes I'm cocky. Confidence never hurt anyone. So before you go and 'critique'(Flame) my post, take the time to look things over more appropriately. Reason my post has likes is because it's short, sweet, and to the point. Oh, and improve your grammar. :T

#134 Ruuki

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:44 AM

View PostAodh, on 17 June 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Try a lil optimization, buddai! ;)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1fe10dfaea34880

Oh, thanks! I actually will do that, it's way more effective than what I have it seems. I guess I was afraid of running out of slots with Endo-Steel. :o

#135 Ruuki

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:51 AM

View PostRuuki, on 28 June 2015 - 05:44 AM, said:

Oh, thanks! I actually will do that, it's way more effective than what I have it seems. I guess I was afraid of running out of slots with Endo-Steel. :o

View PostAodh, on 17 June 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Try a lil optimization, buddai! ;)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1fe10dfaea34880

Wait, I just went to check my 4R build on MWO not 5 minutes after I read your post and it turns out it was already the same. I must have clumsily threw that one together in a hurry. O.o;

Edited by Ruuki, 28 June 2015 - 06:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users