18 replies to this topic

#1 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

So, I was reading the patch notes when I saw this sentence.
“The 'Mech Stats window should no longer appear over top of the 'Mech Components when using 1366x768 resolution.”

I was like, WTF? Are anyone really playing on that resolution? I thought I’d better make a thread in the MWO forums and make fun of them. I mean, seriously!!!
Then I read on… *Facepalm…

“Loadout errors should no longer be cut-off when using 1024x768 screen resolution.”

I don’t even know where to start. Last time I used that resolution was on an old 40kg CRT, and I believe my computer was a Pentium MMX 200 with a couple of Orchid Righteous Voodoo 2 cards in a brand new configuration called SLI. Come to think about it, I think I actually might have moved to 1280x1024 by then. My Cyrix 133+ then perhaps.

I don’t know when this was exactly, but you know, it was some time during the last millennia.

Now, trying to save this post by being something resembling serious. Are PGI actually adjusting this game for ppl using that resolution?

Well, nothing bad being supportive and all that. And I really don’t care if ppl play on 1024x768, but it make me wonder, what kind of computers are ppl using with this game, and, do PGI try making everybody happy. Again, in theory this could be great.

However, trying to support every kind of ****** computer in the world will eventually break the development of MWO. I mean, they can only do so much and support all kinds of old HW. I’m hoping for PGI to make a shift in development towards larger maps, more sensors usage, more role based team play and more objective based gameplay. A hint of Living Legends paired with future development of MWO if you like.

Scaling up the game will also have an impact on performance, especially if they also do a visual makeover. Are PGI thinking about cool stuff ending up trashing it because they are afraid of losing players on less than mediocre computers?

I really hope not. One could argue they do this for people using all their cash on computers but not their monitors. Somehow I think people using 1024x768 do not have the latest HW either. I really hope I’m wrong here.

If not I’m going to move this thread to the suggestions thread with the title. “Stop supporting ****** computers holding back development”…

#2 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostSerpentbane, on 17 June 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

So, I was reading the patch notes when I saw this sentence.
“The 'Mech Stats window should no longer appear over top of the 'Mech Components when using 1366x768 resolution.”

I was like, WTF? Are anyone really playing on that resolution? I thought I’d better make a thread in the MWO forums and make fun of them. I mean, seriously!!!

Yes, some laptops are still in that resolution. My hp EliteBook 2570p (it's a business class laptop like ThinkPads and Dell Latitudes), for example.

#3 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

Lower-end gaming notebooks and most "regular" notebooks use resolutions like 1366x768, 1440x900, and 1600x900 depending on screen size and year made. Most higher-end gaming notebooks and most newer notebooks from 2014 on use 1920x1080 or better, though. Still, in the hardware subforum we see people trying to run this game on hardware that barely meets the minimum requirements and is a good 4-6 years old.

#4 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

I do realize older systems are still in circulation, and if people want to use them, it’s ok for me. But if they try playing MWO PGI should be like, “NO, you can’t play our game with that piece of crap computer!” instead of being like, “oh, so the game don’t look great on your 10 year old system? Here, let us allocate valuable resources sorting out all those issues for you. We are confident you did not buy a new system because you wanted to spend all that money on MC instead”.

No, I say draw the line somewhere in this millennia at least.

#5 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

40% of their player base is playing at the minimum resolution, last they posted numbers on this. The more people you support, the bigger your potential player base is.

#6 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

Maybe this explains why they keep the graphics so low quality

#7 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

Agreeing with you Marack.

It leaves a particularly bad taste in my mouth when people feel that they have a right to judge others who may not have the same amount of disposable income.

#8 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

720p or better is HD

#9 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

Hate to tell you this. But some of us can't afford new, top of the line computers. I am working with an older computer, yes it is a laptop, and no it does not have the best graphics. I would love to have a newer comp, but right now unless someone wants to buy me one, for no other reason than I can play MWO, I'm going to have to use the one I have.

#10 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 19 June 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

Hate to tell you this. But some of us can't afford new, top of the line computers. I am working with an older computer, yes it is a laptop, and no it does not have the best graphics. I would love to have a newer comp, but right now unless someone wants to buy me one, for no other reason than I can play MWO, I'm going to have to use the one I have.

But are the players who are too poor to buy a decent computer spending any money on the game and supporting it?

General logic would suggest that people who have money to spend on a good computer would also be the ones who spend money on premium mechs and premium time etc etc and actually paying the bills over at PGI.

So it would make sense for the company to just focus on that, I would think.

#11 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:40 AM

View PostGayang3, on 19 June 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

But are the players who are too poor to buy a decent computer spending any money on the game and supporting it?

Probably. There's a huge difference between saving up $30 for an Mastery package than saving up $1000 for a new rig. Premium time, camo, paint... so many things to buy.

Microtransactions work.

#12 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:36 AM

Ok. I'm going to simply put it this way. I'm sure you just love to show how mighty you are, after all, not all of us have a lot of money. So, then only the rich should be privileged to have fun, in your opinion. Some people live from paycheck to paycheck, scrounging what they can. So, I now Pronounce this thread "Troll".

#13 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

Did you bother reading my entire first post? Yea, made a few jokes about it first even if it’s true, but I also have some serious concerns about this, as I wrote after the part where I said I’d try to be serious. And yes, I might have a hard time being serious sometimes. But I try, I really do.

Me having a shitload of money is not the main point here and it was not my intention to brag about it in any way, and where I live you actually can’t get an decent gaming rig for 800$ either, try like 2000 to 2500$. Nor do I try to talk (or write) down at those of you not being able to buy a new gaming rig. So, if anyone were offended this was not my intention at all.

I’m one of those arguing for MWO to take a turn at the next crossroads, and move in the direction of MW:LL while keeping the good parts of MWO. Larger maps, more objective based games, more in game objects, increased focus on sensor systems and electronic warfare, higher number of in game drops per match, and increased focus on team based gameplay. All this in addition to destructible objects/terrain, better models and better animations. All of which would have an impact on minimum system requirements.

So my question is not whether or not PGI should support low resolutions or not, but what kind of minimum system requirements they try to include when deciding which new features they’re going to add, or not. Are the urge to support the most basic systems available in any way holding back the development in the areas I mention?

I do feel sorry for you if MWO develops in a direction where your systems are insufficient and unable to run the game properly. I really do. I’d like as many as possible being able to play the game.

Mind you that my opinions are colored by my own economic situation, and the general living conditions in my country. However, I’d rather have the game developing further than holding back to support too much of the low end systems in circulation.

Perhaps this is not a big issue. Perhaps lowering the settings can let PGI do both. But if they decide to skip out on certain wanted elements in development I do not think it’s a good thing. And I don’t think they should.

So, if this opinion makes me an *******, so be it. To compensate I save the environment by driving an EV (charged with renewable energy) to save our environment. So, if you think about it, I’m really not that bad a guy. Ok, I bought it because I charge it at work and all taxes are removed or lowered compared to ordinary cars, but the effect is the same.

#14 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:18 AM

I did not say they should move away from the “low-end” market entirely, I was just asking where they draw the line. I never said one should need a 2K$ gaming rig to play the game. I didn’t even say where I thought the lower line should be. However, if features that could largely improve the gameplay are left out just to keep the status quo regarding low end system support I do not think it’s a good thing in the long run.

I do not try to lead PGI, as anyone else on the forums I simply give my opinions on what I think would be improvements to the overall gameplay, and in what directions development should evolve. Nothing I have suggested so far equals cutting low-end support just to do so. I just don’t want the development to suffer because of it. I don’t see any of my suggestions leading the game to its death, unless you think my whole idea is to deny all players not running the latest hardware.

I do however think the game should move out of this arena style shooter. You write this game is not a single player game, and I cannot agree more. This is a multiplayer game, but it’s to COD-like. Players are playing on the same map, but they do not play together. No real tactics, no real strategies. If you have any interest what so ever what I have suggested so far, you could do a forum search for “what should mwo become”. If the game gets better, using money is easier too. I’ve spent quite a few hundred dollars on this game so far, but with the current development I’m not throwing my money at the game.

And you are right, I have no clue on how to use WERE and WAS. I do however usually get my IS and ARE’ right, and I’m pretty happy with that. You are welcome to write posts in Norwegian btw, and then I could promise you responses with perfect grammar. It would be a lie though, I sometimes use wrong grammar in Norwegian to.

You should also know that I tend to write in a self-ironic kind of way sometimes. You know what they say, those able to make fun of one self…. Ok, I don’t know what they say either. But I think it’s a good thing being able to. My initial post was 50% fun and 50% serious, not intending to elevate myself or mock those not able to by a descent computer, even if it’s more than 15 years since I played on those resolutions.

I also failed to mention that my other car uses 2.2 liters (0,58 US gallons) per Norwegian mile (6,2 miles), and I come from a cattle farm.

So, no hard feelings I hope.

#15 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:46 AM

800$ for a Gaming PC ?! my old AMD Phenom 2x4 840 PC is 5 Years old, cost in2009 only 500 €
has 16 GB RAM
NIVIDIA Geforce 650 Ti
and run very good with PGi in 1920 x 1080

1024x768 is MW4 Period before 15 Years !

Edited by CSJ Ranger, 03 July 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#16 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

I'm betting a lot of the people running low resolutions actually have pretty new PCs. Just not gaming-oriented ones. I.e. modern CPUs and plenty of memory, but not-so-great GPUs. I play on a ThinkPad, and can get 60 FPS at 720p, but only half that at the native 1080p.

I don't really play other modern games, and can't justify buying a game-dedicated rig just for MWO. I suspect some of the TT BattleTech veterans (of whom there seem to be many here) are similar. Plus when you get older, any major purchases need to be cleared with the CEO (wife), and good luck with that.

#17 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

View Postjss78, on 03 July 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

I'm betting a lot of the people running low resolutions actually have pretty new PCs. Just not gaming-oriented ones. I.e. modern CPUs and plenty of memory, but not-so-great GPUs. I play on a ThinkPad, and can get 60 FPS at 720p, but only half that at the native 1080p.

I don't really play other modern games, and can't justify buying a game-dedicated rig just for MWO. I suspect some of the TT BattleTech veterans (of whom there seem to be many here) are similar. Plus when you get older, any major purchases need to be cleared with the CEO (wife), and good luck with that.

What ThinkPad?

#18 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:38 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 04 July 2015 - 08:31 AM, said:

What ThinkPad?

It's an E540 ... Core i7 and a Geforce GT740M.

#19 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

View Postjss78, on 04 July 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

It's an E540 ... Core i7 and a Geforce GT740M.

Ah, you have a dedicated graphic card. I thought you play with Intel HD like me (Elitebook 2570p).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users