To Win In Cw When You Are In A Pug Team

48 replies to this topic

#1 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:09 AM

it is not exactly the brawl that wins, but the ambush and the right moment for IS pilots to hide and fall back
the winning strategy against an equal or stronger Clan team is very specific and only 1
typically IS is following the same routine in games, leading to victory only when the clan has high enough nr. of trial mechs or when using pre-made IS team
i am playing almost always in a total pug team and sadly most of the players are anti-team players but also the occasional match happens when all are team players
the point is not to brag about damage done and how we totally smashed the clan pugs with our pre-made 12man, but to make it possible even for the weak inaccurate pilot to get his 80 points (because this nr. is the minimal contribution needed for victory)
orders like: we move across these 5 sectors of the map then go another 3 sectors cannot work in pug team
when focusing on victory and how you will now slaughter the clanners it fails especially with pugs, focus on the moment - set up the ambush now and here, not on the other side of the map

ambush - fall back - ambush
ambush does not mean always staying behind a corner, but sometimes pushing around a corner and disappearing

all those fancy movements around the map and fighting on their turf work mostly with pre-made teams, so keep those for yourself when having a team of 12 different units/factions

Nota Bene:
if of the 30minutes game 20minutes you do NOTHING and all 12 players hide
10 minutes are much more than enough to be slaughtered by a pre-made clan team and this is to say: stay back and be patient
all team members must do the same and when some of the pugs decide they know better or they want to singlehandedly kill 12 DW in a Firestarter, you have to let them die and accept that you will have a smaller team

P.S.:
we are doing too many solo drops in CW there should be an open neutral TS server to check before we queue like NGNG or Comstar

P.S.S.:
All Mechs you bring to CW should have Double heat sinks and AT LEAST one, but better 2 of these
FF armour, Endosteel

P.S.S.S.:
and a prayer to the mech gods
MAY THEIR TRIAL MECHS BE MORE THAN OUR TRIAL MECHS
May those who bring trial and non-upgraded mechs to CW have the needle of the hard disk draw the word FAIL on it

Edited by multisoul, 29 August 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#2 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

Its okay, im good.

Posted Image

#3 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:19 AM

View PostMycrus, on 19 June 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

Its okay, im good.

-snip-

Good example of a game where we can see how a more balanced team can win in attrition against a team that has a few excellent/good players that have to carry more, if not too much. In the long run bad players have wasted their mechs and last defenders are facing 6 vs 12 or a similar last stand situation.

Both teams had almost same damage:
Winner: 14620 total, 1218,3 avg
Losers: 14517 total, 1209,75 avg

Was not in this match so really cant say for certain, but can speculate that ammount of players able to dish out that magical 1k dmg were cause of this victory.

Edited by Ssamout, 07 July 2015 - 12:20 AM.

#4 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

the basics about MWO and CW
http://mwomercs.com/...-warfare-guide/

#5 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

Most important thing for a PUG team: You have to talk guys.

Share intell, call targets, anything, talk with each other guys. And if someone takes lead and gives orders DO WHAT HE SAYS, even bad orders are better than no orders.

#6 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:41 PM

Yep, talking and someone willing to take the lead. If you can get on a team with Count Zero 74 taking control you will see a great example of what strength a good caller can do, even with PUGs.

Cheers
Eboli.

Edited by Eboli, 14 July 2015 - 11:42 PM.

#7 H I A S

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:40 AM

View PostMycrus, on 19 June 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

Its okay, im good.

%20http://i.imgur.com/Q1fhe1C.jpg

It doesn´t count, its against Wolves.

Edited by HiasRGB, 15 July 2015 - 02:41 AM.

#8 Musashi Alexander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:45 AM

There's something that doesn't feel right about defending outside the gates when playing Counter Attack mode. It's boring, it's embarrassing and it's not actually effective.

#9 JuggernautXTR

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

What i notice most, and it's the most annoying thing ever, watch 1 that's one enemy mech come around a corner, and the entire stinking team scatters like rabbits.
the biggest and most unacceptable loss of team work there is, 12 people on your team and you all scatter from one mech, you just gave them the advantage they needed to win. now they have 12 people scattered across 3 grids and easily take you out one at a time.

#10 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

The best way to win as a pug is to stop being a pug, get on a team and work together for a change. Barring that (looking at you antisocial people :) ) stay as a group. It really is that simple, if you run off by yourself, you are doing it wrong. Don't talk to me about flanking and scouting and yada yada yada, when you run off by yourself, you give the enemy team a chance to take out your friends without you being around to help or you get caught with your pants down. If you are on a team and it's coordinated, fine, but we're talking about pugs and there is just so little communication for this to be effective very often. Most of the time, you just end up losing the game for your team.

And yes, as mentioned above, stand your ground. If you have seen Jack Reacher yet, go watch it and look for the fight scene he has outside the bar. It's 5vs1 but Jack insists it's only 3vs1 and he explains that the moment the fight starts, he is going to take out the ring leader and when the other 4 see that, 2 of them will chose to run. It's the same thing in MWO, 4 mechs come around a corner and there are 8 there. If the 4 concentrate fire and immediately take one down I can almost guarantee that 3-4 of the remaining guys will panic, miss shots and then turn and run, leaving the fight now a 3-4 vs your 4. I'm telling you if you hold your ground longer, and you can trust your buds to hang with you, you will win a lot of matches this way.

Stop running away, all that does is give the enemy free damage as you turn tail and run. Face the enemy, back up if you need to but keep putting out damage, you never know if that last little bit of damage will be the deciding factor in the engagement. If you are going to die, (which most people do when they try to run, especially IS mechs as they are typically slower) try to either take one with you or damage him so badly that the next friendly who engages him has it easy.

#11 Heart of Storm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 155 posts
  • Location[Redacted]

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:54 AM

Also running away vs clans is a fail tactic, clan mechs run hot, taking advantage of that is what wins games,strike-retreat-strike is exactly what the clans want as it gives them time to cool down between alphas

#12 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

40 minute clock makes it hard to be the attacker and try to push and fall back or setup traps. Really with 10 minutes waves when 3-5 minutez of that grouping or getting into posistion you only have time to push.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 01 August 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#13 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:16 AM

This was my last CW drop before taking a break... rare moment that i told my team i was taking drop command and issued instructions on in game voip...

#14 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:02 PM

View PostHeart of Storm, on 31 July 2015 - 04:54 AM, said:

Also running away vs clans is a fail tactic, clan mechs run hot, taking advantage of that is what wins games,strike-retreat-strike is exactly what the clans want as it gives them time to cool down between alphas

I would agree with you it also helps to know what the clan meta mechs are which does help when it comes to focusing fire targets of opportunity and taking down said target in a timely matter. I would also say bringing in decent loadouts and being aware of the current IS meta certainly does help. It's quite saddening to see the sheer amount of either poorly optimized mechs or trial mechs attempting to go against organized groups that usually will bring optimized drop decks

While possible to beat organized groups while pugging as displayed above it can happen if you work together as a team and make good use of the in game Voip the clans organized groups are not invincible

#15 Papio Giorgio

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:23 AM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 14 July 2015 - 06:56 AM, said:

Most important thing for a PUG team: You have to talk guys.

Share intell, call targets, anything, talk with each other guys. And if someone takes lead and gives orders DO WHAT HE SAYS, even bad orders are better than no orders.

Not true, met a guy named dark something II that always tries to take command and he is truly awful at it, after he's dead he's still talking in his mic telling people what they are doing wrong. I don't need the distraction.

Also Text commanders, get a microphone or point me to your TS server because otherwise you're about as useful as a chocolate frying pan.

- Papio

#16 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostPapio Giorgio, on 13 August 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

Not true, met a guy named dark something II that always tries to take command and he is truly awful at it, after he's dead he's still talking in his mic telling people what they are doing wrong. I don't need the distraction.

Also Text commanders, get a microphone or point me to your TS server because otherwise you're about as useful as a chocolate frying pan.

- Papio

True there are people while pugging that do need to lay off the microphone but Communication is a key factor in this game and one of the reasons the organized teams are consistantly winning. This is a team game and people need to stop trying to rely on Solo pug tactics which do not ever work and start playing as a team member so I would highly advise people if there is not someone trying to lead to consider taking that role. Leading a drop isn't that difficult even with a full dropship of pugs once you get the hang of it and everyone is willing to play the drop as a team

#17 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:32 AM

stop coming to CW in trials you IS coward*******CENSORED**********. it should not be allowed to have more than 1 trial in the drop deck
get your c-bills in regular matches you *******CENSORED********* anti-team players, also have at least the basic tier efficiency

Joke of the day:
what does a pug team of IS pilots do when they see a lance of Clanners playing poker? They crap themselves so badly that the auto-eject system activates

posted in an outbreak of helplessness

Edited by multisoul, 03 September 2015 - 09:05 PM.

#18 Depressing-Fire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNew Tasmania, Kikuyu

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:03 AM

Dooky OP plz nerf.

#19 AntleredCormorant

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

There is really no reason to ever match a PUG team against a 12-man premade like I've run into in CW. Give us a lobby or something and bar anyone not in a group of 4+. Solo PUGs in CW are a waste of everyone's time.

#20 Munkeyed

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostAntleredCormorant, on 10 September 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

There is really no reason to ever match a PUG team against a 12-man premade like I've run into in CW. Give us a lobby or something and bar anyone not in a group of 4+. Solo PUGs in CW are a waste of everyone's time.

Ok, I'm sorry, but I've been in at least 2 different 12 man PUG drops that beat 12 man pre-mades. I can tell you there is no better feeling. Yes, those were the exceptions not the rule, but it is still worthwhile. If this game ran Honor Points, there would be FAR more for the PUG win than the pre-made. Every action is stored in the Codex. Your reward awaits you in Valhalla.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users