Strategy Preference For Ecm (Particularly Lights))

16 replies to this topic

#1 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:22 AM

Do you prefer ECM mechs, particularly light ECM mechs to shadow the group (which in pug matches "group" may consist of only a few mechs as everyone else is spreading out/scattering to the four winds), or do you prefer that they try and run around and flank/snipe/actively harass the enemy?

In CW I have no problem scouting or staying with a group, playing a roll as directed (I love to snipe). I do what I am told.

But in pug matches I just don't know what the expectation(s) is (are). I try to support the group by sticking with the biggest mass of mechs I can (especially if I am the only ECM mech present), but that doesn't last long in most matches as the "group" scatters and runs all over creation. When that occurs should I just run and gun (which is what I often can't help myself and end up doing), or stay the course and stand by my companions -even if it is merely one companion?

Any constructive comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

When I'm cruising in my Pirates Bane, I bring the ECM blanket to our big guns, stay out of the way, and focus fire on whomever they are targeting. If there is additional ECM for the main group, I will flank and backstab, but I rarely chase off solo unless they are legged and 80% cored already.

Commando 2D was a little different, more of a search and destroy mode - he's better for flanking and charging in to take off a leg or a weak opponent.

The ECM Spider makes for a good sniper or PPC.

The only clan I have experience with is Mist Lynx, and I preferred to play like the Pirates bane - blanket your team with ECM and plink at opponents from behind the chunky friends.

Bottom line is that ECM does not make you invincible or invisible, but it can help mitigate damage to more than one of your teammates, and that is generally the most beneficial to your side.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 21 June 2015 - 07:36 AM.

#3 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

If you're the only one around, then you should stick close to provide cover for whoever is currently the most vulnerable. Don't just pick one person to cover and stick with them; go where you're needed most. That'll take a lot of situational awareness- keep your head on a swivel, look for incoming missile warnings over your teammates, UAVs, and so forth. It's a lot easier when everyone sticks together, but if you're reasonably fast, you can still put out a lot of fires and make a major difference. It won't always be best to stand with the largest group of allies you can find; often it's the guy who's out of position who needs your help more. If you can give him some cover until he pulls his head out of his ass and regroups, then you've denied the enemy a kill and helped your team win (meanwhile the main blob of your team will still have strength in numbers, despite losing your ECM for a short time).

Do what you can to keep yourself alive, too- avoid peeking and only shoot enemies who expose themselves. That will often mean a lower score at the end, because the game economy hardly rewards support play at all, but the win is what you need to focus on and, the way things stand right now, you're pretty much the team's most valuable asset if you're the only one with ECM in a pug. It's just that powerful.

What 'Mech do you normally use?

#4 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:11 AM

I will vary my ECM strategy depending on the situation. Typically at the beginning of the match I will scout to try to find out where the enemy is going. Once I relay that info to my team I will head to the fatties to provide ECM. Generally all of my ECM mechs are brawler/harasser builds, so staying close to the team works for me.

One thing that I do that I have only seen a few ECM mechs do is observe your team mates. If they are getting lurmed get over by them to break the lock. Once the lock is broken look around again, lather, rinse, repeat.

Also, keep an eye out for UAVs because those things can really ruin your day.

Edited by mailin, 21 June 2015 - 09:34 AM.

#5 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

Deadguy, I typically play the support role in a RVN-3L. I've tried lots of different load outs but (from 2 LRM5s and 3 MLs, to SRMs and MLs) have just settled on 2 ErLL so that I can snipe as well as support.

Thanks for the feed back all.

#6 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

From what I was told in another thread ECM will not protect you if your opponent has a lock. ECM makes it harder to get a lock especially if you are facing a flock of Mechs all with ECMs. Lots of times however I get a lock pretty fast and start shooting and my reticle will flash red registering hits for every volley I shoot.

#7 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

I follow the group usually and cover the poor guy getting LRM'd to death if I can. I will run up and give him ECM until he gets to cover. Also I look up a lot if I see other enemy lights nearby cause chances are they popped a UAV. I don't typically scout on my own unless I have support with other lights. I have had too many times where I get jumped by 2-3 other lights and have no way to escape with ECM or not.

In group ECM cover I take my chances getting shot by my own team by keeping myself moving and weaving around around the group. I try to stay back but sometimes that's not always happening.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:36 PM

If you scout with an ECM mech, the key is to NOT fire when the enemy is looking at you, unless you are certain you can take him on solo. This also applies if you scout in a group. DO NOT FIRE until everyone in the group agrees. All too often I have scouted with another light only to have my excellent spotting position given away by some overzealous yahoo who decides to take potshots at an enemy formation.

#9 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:48 AM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 21 June 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

Commando 2D was a little different, more of a search and destroy mode - he's better for flanking and charging in to take off a leg or a weak opponent.

I usually think of the 2D as being the opposite of search and destroy, though it may just be the way I've constructed mine (3 SRM2). It's not a mech that can really support a potent loadout (I guess you could manage to squeeze in an SRM6 and SRM4 without sacrificing speed or too much armor, though I don't trust my aim enough to rely primarily on alpha strikes), but I've had good success with it supporting the assault lance, particularly when they engage the opposing assaults and heavies.

#10 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

View PostHusker Dude, on 22 June 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

I usually think of the 2D as being the opposite of search and destroy, though it may just be the way I've constructed mine (3 SRM2). It's not a mech that can really support a potent loadout (I guess you could manage to squeeze in an SRM6 and SRM4 without sacrificing speed or too much armor, though I don't trust my aim enough to rely primarily on alpha strikes), but I've had good success with it supporting the assault lance, particularly when they engage the opposing assaults and heavies.

I runmy com 2d as a ecm support mech. I have 1 ml and 2 srm4. I have had some really good games tucking myself neatly behind the enormous legs of a Direwolf and securing his kills while keeping the lurms off his head. I am a little more likely to scout/harass/snipe in my other ecm mechs. Although my record would show that covering the assault lance gets the most wins for me.

Ps. Tucked behind the legs of a Direwolf should not be read as hugging the legs of a Direwolf so he can't back up.

#11 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:53 AM

I just generally stick with the assault lance in the hopes of turning "today at nascar" where everyone runs at full speed to the right and lets the assaults get chewed up by the other team doing the same (for some reason this only happens to one team not both as logic might suggest), then complain about how bad our assaults were- into "everyone run to the ecm- hey look our assault lance!"

#12 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostTanar, on 22 June 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

I just generally stick with the assault lance in the hopes of turning "today at nascar" where everyone runs at full speed to the right and lets the assaults get chewed up by the other team doing the same (for some reason this only happens to one team not both as logic might suggest), then complain about how bad our assaults were- into "everyone run to the ecm- hey look our assault lance!"

It is odd isn't it that if you look hard enough you can find a friendly assault lance in almost every match. Perhaps one of he most underutilized resources in pugs. All my respect to those of you who pilot those enormous, lumbering death traps :)

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:44 AM

3xnihilo, I totally agree. And it's astonishing the damage that those things can put out if they get proper support, like ECM cover. Who knew?

#14 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

I don't have experience with ECM lights, but in my GRF-2N I always find the assaults and provide ECM coverage and LRM fire support (build is 4 LRM5's, TAG, and 1 ERPPC).

I also switch from 'counter' to 'disrupt' when I get 'low signal strength'. You can really ruin the day of any mech that thinks they are safe because of their own ECM.

#15 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:29 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 21 June 2015 - 05:22 AM, said:

Thanks.

Well...expectations and (solo) Pugs...kinda a contradiction there.

A simple breakdown:

If you bring ECM to maximize it, try to cover the blob favoring the assaults. After all they are least likely to run off.
You could conceivably use it to cover mechs flanking...but this is rare.

Now if a teammate is getting rained on hard and not near cover, you could run over to help conceal him...but dont overly risk getting hurt. And dont neglect the rest of the team.
Look for a TAG laser and if you see one, shoot back at its origin...even if out of range you can use your beam to 'show' teammates where the sneaky (usually) Raven is hiding.

On Conquest mode, you can opt to go cap. I usually recommend at the start that 2 fast mechs go STEAL caps(DO NOT FIGHT OVER THEM...save that for later), and the rest ball up and brawl. There are differing interpretations as to how to Pug Conquest but this method is the simplest way to herd cats.

#16 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

View PostDanth Reduviid, on 27 June 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

I also switch from 'counter' to 'disrupt' when I get 'low signal strength'. You can really ruin the day of any mech that thinks they are safe because of their own ECM.

I think you mean you switch from disrupt to counter in this instance. Just something for you all to consider: if presented with two ECM enemies, do not switch off of disrupt unless/until you get countered. If you have 2 ecm enemies near you and one is countering, by switching to counter then, you may be able to counter the one that is still disrupting. The added bonus is that the one countering may not notice that they now have no ECM advantage.

#17 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:15 AM

View Postmailin, on 28 June 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

I think you mean you switch from disrupt to counter in this instance. Just something for you all to consider: if presented with two ECM enemies, do not switch off of disrupt unless/until you get countered. If you have 2 ecm enemies near you and one is countering, by switching to counter then, you may be able to counter the one that is still disrupting. The added bonus is that the one countering may not notice that they now have no ECM advantage.

Yep, I had them switched.

Even if you are providing Disrupt cover for your team it's often worth switching to Counter for a brief time if there is an enemy ECM within range. The payout in CB and XP is pretty good. You get even more if the enemy ECM mech takes damage or is destroyed by friendlies while you are countering.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users