Resistance 1 Mechs

9 replies to this topic

#1 IceLom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hello, I am a founder but have not played to much due to some health concerns. Play on and off. And would like some advice on if the resistance 1 mechs would be a good purchase

Getting back into mwo after a long break, when I left my favorite mech was a dual ac5 shadow hawk. (this was shortly after some of the pheonix mechs were released, but before the wolverine was out). Since coming back 2-3 weeks ago the wolverine has replaced the shadow cat by a long margin. as it stands the WVR-6R(P) is my favorite mech.

For the most part i enjoy, AC's (5 and lbx are my favorite) as well as large lasers and the ocasional ppc or gauss rifle build. I usually dislike medium lasers even though i end up brawling up close often for some reason i just dont enjoy them.

From the stat page the resistance one mechs look like i would enjoy them but i would like some opinons if they are to much like my current mechs to really see value. (at least in the kinds of builds i like)

Currently own:

Light
3x Jenners (jr7-d(f), Jr7-f, Jr7-k)
3x Locusts (Pheonix ones)

Medium
Griffen
Shadow hawk
Wolverine
(just the pheonix varieties, and i have not even touched the griffens yet)
Centurion CN9-AH(L)

Heavy
Firebrand
Jaggermech JM6-A
Thunderbolt (pheonix)
Orion (on1-p, on1-k(c), on1-v)

Asault:
AS7-s(L)
Battlemater (pheonix)
King crab kgc-000(L) i have no idea where this mech came from... its fun though
Victor (vtr-9s, vtr-9b, vtr-9k) I like the victors

My reasoning on the resistance one pack is as follows...

For the light mechs, I dislike the locust it just does not play well for me i do like the jenner but i want some variety in the light department.

Meidums... I have allot of mediums and good mediums at that, i dont think the enforcer will be much different from the wolverine but thats why i am asking you guys :)

Heavy, this is a very hard class for me to find a mech i enjoy the orions have been a really bust for me and i wish i could get my mc back i dont mind the thunderbolts but they feel to clunky. The Grasshoppers appear to be up my ally jj's and large lasers in the hands sounds great.

Assault, I like my victors i like them allot. I find the battlemasters to be meh, I dont know how the zues will compare it looks fun but again i dont really know.

The last thing i noticed is this pack comes with 2 (stealth edit from 0, the enforers run xl's) XL engines, and almost none of the mechs have double heat sinks or endo steel so there is a considerable C-bill requirment for some of these mechs.

Any advice would be appreciated. Do you think they would be a good fit? or will i regret my purchase because my current mechs are to similar but already mastered and with upgrades?

Thank you,

Edited by IceLom, 21 June 2015 - 07:44 PM.

#2 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

I have only the Panther's and Enforcer's, both are good, but not super.

The Panther is good at ducking into and out of cover. It has jumpjets, but not very many so it's not very agile in the air and all the energy hardpoints are in the arm, which if you don't take care, can get blown off easily. It is sort of considered to play more like a fast medium then a light amongst the forum community. It wont boot around like the Jenner, but it is still capable.

The Enforcer is a pretty solid performer, slimmer then Centurion's, shorter then Shadowhawks. It is somewhat tanky if you torso twist, and has jumpjets. One variant comes with dual UAC-5's and thats probably the best loadout it will ever have, the other two are much more flexible.

all in all, I believe they were still worth the money I paid for them.

as for the other two, they seem to do well. The Grasshopper is generally considered to be too tall, but has pretty good energy hardpoints and I respect that when I'm against one, I definitly don't want to be alpha'd by one. The Zeus I don't especially fear on the battlefield, but I don't dismiss it out of hand either.

#3 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:57 PM

Panther, can be played either MPLs & SRMs or mix in large Energy based on variant. Either close range striker or sniper.
10K - ERPPC
9R - PPC
8Z - LL
Use more than one for long range or mix 1 with lasers/SRMs. I have even seen LRM Panthers, up to you. No experience on the 10P.

Enforcer, no experience on the 4P.
4R and 5D are solid and can share some similar builds.
AC/10 & Energy
Gauss & MLs
PPC & AC/5
Some other builds.
5P looks tricky but there are a few builds for it.
2UAC5
ERLL & UAC5, maybe MGs too
(ER)PPC & UAC5, maybe MGs too

Grasshopper, if you do not like pure Energy builds, do not get. I was not good with them so I will not give advice here.

Zeus, some builds floating around but I put these away after Eliting, may go back someday to open that 2nd module slot. Each has its own flavor due not only to quirks but also hardpoints.
6S - Ballistic model.
6T - Missile model.
9S - Energy model.
Do not have 5S.

#4 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:44 AM

From what I have heard the grasshopper is tall but maneuverable. If you like large lasers I think there is one quirked for those.

#5 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

Not sure you would like the Zeus any more than the Victors. Zeus can be tanky often enough to justify STD engines. Took me awhile to find a couple of builds that I like or work for me. But the Zeus will never be able to jump which can be limiting.

The 6S works for me with dual AC/5 LrgPulse in the CT and SRM6 Art in the right arm. Lose one side of the mech, Still have the other.
The 6T with dual PPC and triple SRM in the right arm works well for me too. STD engine.
I do find the extra mobility by being only 80 tons handy from time to time but at the same time it doesn't have the same punch that Banshee, Atlas or King Crab bring.

Agree with Nullmancer said about the Panther pretty much.

Enforcers are OK, JJ do help over the Cent. The 5P with dual UAC/5 is fun, until the ammo is gone or you get focused/out of cover and both guns jam.

I find my Hoppers too be just a bit on the big and slow feeling side. It's an OK heavy

Edited by BigBadVlad, 22 June 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#6 IceLom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostBigBadVlad, on 22 June 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Not sure you would like the Zeus any more than the Victors. Zeus can be tanky often enough to justify STD engines. Took me awhile to find a couple of builds that I like or work for me. But the Zeus will never be able to jump which can be limiting.

The 6S works for me with dual AC/5 LrgPulse in the CT and SRM6 Art in the right arm. Lose one side of the mech, Still have the other.
The 6T with dual PPC and triple SRM in the right arm works well for me too. STD engine.
I do find the extra mobility by being only 80 tons handy from time to time but at the same time it doesn't have the same punch that Banshee, Atlas or King Crab bring.

Agree with Nullmancer said about the Panther pretty much.

Enforcers are OK, JJ do help over the Cent. The 5P with dual UAC/5 is fun, until the ammo is gone or you get focused/out of cover and both guns jam.

I find my Hoppers too be just a bit on the big and slow feeling side. It's an OK heavy

Thank you, this has given me pause and i will consider it more... if i am not likely to like the zues over my victors then this may not be a good idea.

Thank you everyone else the advice is appreciated.

#7 PaeuxP22

• PipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:00 AM

I think I'm right in saying the zeus (with quirks) has more armour and structure than an Atlas and with a stock engine (std 320 doing 64kph) and asymmetric loadouts available it's my goto assault. You can take a ridiculous beating before you go down. I use it as 1st mech in cw and use it as a battering ram, it will die but the 11 guys who get through the gate unscratched behind me mop up pretty easily

#8 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:00 AM

I've only played one panther and just now playing zeus', but I bought Grasshoppers ala carte, so that's all I can really speak to.

The panther seems like a tough little bugger, but it didn't really impress me enough to buy the other variants yet.

The grasshopper is pretty good, but it's quirks are mediocre at this point and the build options are pretty limited. If you love MPLs, the tonnage lines up well on these. They are XL friendly, but capable of zombie mode if you roll standard. I basically fill them up with DHS then mix lasers until I'm happy. The missile eye isn't terribly useful, but using an lrm5 with only a ton (or half) of ammo to get some easy assists while waiting to get into MPL range can be helpful. I thought it was going to be nimble and jumpy but it's not really that great, even with 350XL.

I can really only recommend the GHR if you're wanting to learn or practice straight up IS laser boating. It's decent, but not quite good enough to compete with the tier 1 heavies. It's a pretty expensive purchase to only be using 1 class of weapons on too.

Zeus usually leaves me feeling like I almost could have done something awesome. I'm almost done doubling basics, and will be hoping that feeling changes once I do. Chances are I'll sell two and keep the power fist variant, but I could see myself selling all three.

The gauss and ML Enforcer build looks pretty damn sweet, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Best of luck.

#9 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

Panther - a great light mech - solid size, solid variety, however like some newer lights.. it can suck when losing an arm

Enforcer - a exceptional medium with a compact design, great hit boxes and hardpoint variety... Think of this as a high dps mech but not a burst damage mech. Gauss and AC20 are wasted on thus mech but with the right builds you can balance this mech to average 2-3 kills a math and 700 damage...

Grasshopper - I hate these mechs. Their JJs are nice on Viridian and Canyon however their excessively tall profile is annoying and needs to be scaled down. Remember this is a laser boat and because of it, you will be annoyed with heat until you elite it.

Zeus - A thick and tank assault. Fixed hit boxes make and the profile allow for decent damage spread. CT weapons makes it able to zombie, the Left Arm missile pod makes for some fun SRM builds but really shines as a decent shield arm. Good quirks help this mech as the 3xLL and 1x Gauss build on the 6S is a 1000 scorer in my book.

#10 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

Deleted, didn't know I posted in this before.

Edited by Wildstreak, 04 July 2015 - 07:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users