Allow Us To Select Which Hardpoint A Weapon Takes Up. The Exact Position

48 replies to this topic

Poll: Hardpoint selection (291 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to be able to select in which hardpoint a weapon falls?

1. I'm fine with the current way of ordering hardpoints. I don't mind having to use more weapons to get the slot I want. (28 votes [9.62%])

Percentage of vote: 9.62%

2. I would rather be able to choose the specific hardpoint slot a weapon goes into. I don't like wasted tonnage. (263 votes [90.38%])

Percentage of vote: 90.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KalTorak18

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

Take a mech like the EBJ-A. It's left torso has 1 low mounted energy hardpoint and 2 higher mounted energy hardpoints, but the lower mounted hardpoint is the first to be filled out when dropping a weapon into that torso.

I know that you can just use a 'spacer' weapon like a small laser as the first weapon then put whatever you want in the upper two hardpoints in after. I really think this removes some of the flexibility we have in creating mechs. I don't want to have to have an extra half ton of weapons just to use the hardpoint locations on the mech that I want.

Please allow us to select which hardpoint a weapon falls into. Maybe have just a little up and down arrow on the weapon bar on the mech when there are more than 1 hardpoint location it can go?

Edited by KalTorak18, 23 June 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#2 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

The Orb agrees.

#3 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:08 AM

Ha ha. You know I had exactly the same problem with my EBJ. I ended up putting in a flamer as a spacer so I could get my large lasers into the top hard points. Some players just look at me weird when they see me use the flamer but other EBJ drivers understand. :)

#4 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:31 AM

Im glad spacers even work now, weapons used to have a mind of their own during placement. Some you could systematically add and remove to get them into the wanted slot(still using spacer weapons) others would become sticky and refuse to take another slot under any circumstance..

It caused me to abandon some of my mechs for more than a year.

#5 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

Here's hoping PGI adds this.

#6 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:10 PM

This exact subject has always bothered me about the wolverine. Why have giant box on shoulder when a perfectly good hard point in the chest.

+1

#7 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:20 AM

I am against It.

It's the same with my IMs Torso, but if the mech design only allows that ....

NOT that i do NOT like it myself

, but if the schema for that mechs only allows a 1 slot Weapon on that point, then it would make a meta mech more meta.

OK, you say the slot system is not implemented, but then when we are at that point (MAYBE) then it would be changed back again, and you are again are not satisfied.

#8 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:05 PM

O_o

#9 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:40 AM

I think this should be a given. I want to be able to put weapons where I want them without needing a loophole or to game the system.

This wouldn't really buff meta mechs because they already have high mounts as standard.

#10 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:08 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 22 August 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

This exact subject has always bothered me about the wolverine. Why have giant box on shoulder when a perfectly good hard point in the chest.

+1

Lore. Table-top Wolverine art has the SRM-6 in the shoulder box, thus why its default in MWO.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

Even if PGI could not allow us to select which weapon goes into which hardpoint, just reverse the order so that weapons load in the upper slot first.

#12 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:58 PM

This shouldn't even be a debate, but a "put in on next patch, as of two years ago".

#13 W31rdWarrior

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 93 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:57 AM

As a EBJ pilot, i'm with you!
If I want to put a single ERPPC on top of the left torso, why I have to waste 1 ton with useless (for me) weapons to have it in the right place, rather than put a useful DHS?

Edited by AlfaLuke, 19 November 2015 - 07:02 AM.

#14 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:22 AM

View PostAlfaLuke, on 19 November 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

As a EBJ pilot, i'm with you!
If I want to put a single ERPPC on top of the left torso, why I have to waste 1 ton with useless (for me) weapons to have it in the right place, rather than put a useful DHS?

Think about it from an engineering/tactical view. Why would you want to high-mount a weapon system when it would increase the target profile and further complicate the design of the 'mech when there's a nice space in the torso you can use?

What's that? You want to hill-hump and shoot-and-scoot? As an EBJ pilot you should be ashamed of yourself. You bring dishonour, not only to yourself, but to your entire clan!

#15 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:23 AM

This needs doing, I don't see any real reason other then dev time to do this. Would it take very long? Doesn't seem like it should.

#16 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

+1 more SUPPORT from me. Had some real positioning problems on several of my mech builds, both IS and Clan. Would be really nice to be able to just click it into place. B)

I just hope PGI fixes what they did wrong to Faction Contracts first, however. That's much higher of a priority than this. :(

~D. V. "Want the idea, even if it isn't high-priority..." Devnull

#17 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:45 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 27 May 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Think about it from an engineering/tactical view. Why would you want to high-mount a weapon system when it would increase the target profile and further complicate the design of the 'mech when there's a nice space in the torso you can use?

What's that? You want to hill-hump and shoot-and-scoot? As an EBJ pilot you should be ashamed of yourself. You bring dishonour, not only to yourself, but to your entire clan!

having CHOICE doesn't stop people from putting the weapon in the low mount if they wanted to

#18 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 733 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:44 AM

Posting just to keep the thread up. This needs to happen already.

#19 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

Yeah, I agree. We should be able to select the hardpoint we want to load. This really shouldn't even be a debate.

#20 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

Before that happens, I know that there are some examples of hardpoint harshness that just doesn't do it for me.

For example, the LRM Battlemaster. It's got two missile hardpoints in one torso. I wanted to make a Narc+LRM boat. Unfortunately, no matter what order you try to plop them in, if you use both missile hardpoints, the NARC always gets put in the low-slung bottom hardpoint. In order to do what I wanted to do, I had to limit myself to only having arm-based launchers. The resulting build was really just sub-par, and as a result, I barely ever use it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users