- - - - -

Another Newbie!

22 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfshadow

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hi everyone.

I am Wolfshadow. Been a member for a long time, but haven't played since beta, until yesterday. Been checking out the forums, and all that. Played my first match today. I died very quickly...but we won! I was surprised to see I have 5 months of premium time banked up, and that I had a bunch of mechs like two atlas, one king crab, etc some reason. I bought a Raven Hero mech today with my MC, and I also got the Hunchback ''Grid Iron''.

I found out that using my flightstick joystick is not really that great. I worked good for the other MW PvE games...but wow...I have converted to a mouse user for MWO. lol.

I did the tutorial, and have been running some mechs through the testing grounds. I think Imight need to finally invest into a gaming mouse.lol.

I got the Urbanmech super bundle. Because Urbanmech! :) I'm gonna check around and see if there is any kin of guild type thing in this game now.

Oh...question. Is there some like new player only type battle grounds? I'm just asking cuz today it seemed most ppl were using can tech weapons, and seemed petty decent at the game based on my ''spectator'' observations. Is there someplace I can go to learn the ropes with other new players,or am I just always dropped into a random match with possibly all veteran and elite opponents?

Thanks for any advice, suggestions etc! :)

Edited by Wolfshadow, 23 June 2015 - 05:37 PM.

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

1- Welcome to the game. Save the C-Bills you make from your first 25 matches, and don't spend a cent. That's your cadet bonus, so you have increased earnings for those, to help you buy your first real mech.

2-There is no new player only queue.

3- Head to the faction forums, and look around for groups to play with.

#3 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

PM me if you are up for some training sessions. I can help you with that.

#4 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 June 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

PM me if you are up for some training sessions. I can help you with that.

Grooming another Locust pilot...perhaps???

#5 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:18 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 23 June 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

I love those little monsters, but they are not my recommendation for a first mech, or a first light. If OP ends up liking them, that's not my fault. XD

#6 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 June 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

I love those little monsters, but they are not my recommendation for a first mech, or a first light. If OP ends up liking them, that's not my fault. XD

Well, ya gotta start them on cigarettes or junk food...then the booze, later on some coke. Then at the moment of utter despair...the meth that is the Locust.

It does take a certain type to join...pilot...the Locust.

#7 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:58 PM

Locust is the only way to go my friend.... :)

#8 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

Locusts are actually quite cool, because unless you're alone almost no one ever shoots the Locust.
Even saw a guy in a Pirates Bane take on and beat a Huginn (made the Huginn run away, after doing 30% damage) the other day, my type of pilot.

If you purchased a pack including the Founder pack you received some free mechs from PGI, including an Atlas, King Crab and Centurion, depending what level & how much you purchased you may have all or some of them, possibly 2 of each.

#9 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:49 PM

About that Banked Premium Time. If you activate it through the forums you can turn it on in 1-month chunks. Bit if you turn it on in the game proper then you'll start the whole 5 month countdown!!!! http://mwomercs.com/...onth-at-a-time/

#10 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:06 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 June 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

I agree with Iraqi Walker, the locust is a mech if you really want a challange as if you take a hit you die. So the the trick is to be like a ninja and stealth your way on the field and hit and run with the enemy. It takes a bit of skill to use and lost of "OH MY GOD I"M GOING TO DIE" attitude to play...

Hit me up and we can set something up on practice on a map or something with others....

#11 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:07 AM

If you wish to drop with other players or just recieve help and ideas visit FRR hub teamspeak. We have a lot of friendly players who act like adults and are happy to help you back into the game. Server address: FRRTS3.TK:9725 Password: Dragon.

You can download Teamspeak 3 from here if you don't have it.

#12 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:36 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 23 June 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

Well, ya gotta start them on cigarettes or junk food...then the booze, later on some coke. Then at the moment of utter despair...the meth that is the Locust.

It does take a certain type to join...pilot...the Locust.

So you start with Grasshoppers, then cicadas, to spiders, and finally you get to the hard stuff ... Locusts! (He ready bought Urbies, he's half way in the door already)

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:54 AM

View PostWolfshadow, on 23 June 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

Hi everyone.

I am Wolfshadow. Been a member for a long time, but haven't played since beta, until yesterday. Been checking out the forums, and all that. Played my first match today. I died very quickly...but we won! I was surprised to see I have 5 months of premium time banked up, and that I had a bunch of mechs like two atlas, one king crab, etc some reason. I bought a Raven Hero mech today with my MC, and I also got the Hunchback ''Grid Iron''.

Good choices. The Huginn (Raven Hero) is fun for the lols; I personally gave mine an AC/20 and like to stand on or near an ally and play 'turret'. Urbanmech would be good for this too. The Grid Iron makes a good sniper with backup brawling weapons.

I found out that using my flightstick joystick is not really that great. I worked good for the other MW PvE games...but wow...I have converted to a mouse user for MWO. lol.

Sadly this game's joystick support is... abysmal to say it nicely. I personally use a combination throttlestick + mouse or if lazy PS3 controller + mouse.

I did the tutorial, and have been running some mechs through the testing grounds. I think Imight need to finally invest into a gaming mouse.lol.

Logitech has some affordable mice. I'm using the G300 which I got about a century ago (exaggerated), still haven't broken it (I used to have to replace mice every two to five months) and it's got 6 main buttons + the wheel button thingy.

I got the Urbanmech super bundle. Because Urbanmech! :) I'm gonna check around and see if there is any kin of guild type thing in this game now.

There's guides. Some dated, some up to date. Look for the "Handbook." It's an awesome guide. Spike Brave also has a great series of videos. Far as the Urbie, all hail the Urbie! You didn't just Urbie, you over-urbied! Enjoy the trash can (it's a lot better than people think).

Oh...question. Is there some like new player only type battle grounds? I'm just asking cuz today it seemed most ppl were using can tech weapons, and seemed petty decent at the game based on my ''spectator'' observations. Is there someplace I can go to learn the ropes with other new players,or am I just always dropped into a random match with possibly all veteran and elite opponents?

Nope. PGI felt people can't learn that way. Thing is most of the players in your field are likely a lot newer than you might think.
Trial mechs include Clan mechs. And no IS mechs have Clan Tech (not allowed to mix them).

Thanks for any advice, suggestions etc! :)

You're welcome, and welcome back to MWO.

#14 Wolfshadow

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:02 PM

I've been playing with the Hunchback grid iron the last few matches. I got 5 kills, and 7 assist in those two match! I am getting...BETTER! lol :)

#15 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:45 PM

View PostWolfshadow, on 24 June 2015 - 05:02 PM, said:

I've been playing with the Hunchback grid iron the last few matches. I got 5 kills, and 7 assist in those two match! I am getting...BETTER! lol :)

Glad to hear it. The HBK-GI is a wonderful mech (Dat Gauss quirks :wub: ) its an amazing sniper that can sling Gauss rounds like no ones business. Its amazing how this mechs in the right spot can stall an enemy advance.

On a more personal note, I hope we get to see the HBK-5SG, come stock with Gauss, 2x MLs, and, oh, whats this? ECM & Null Signature Armor? Yes please. :P

#16 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

The horror.... Why can't I stomp on pesky lights with my Atlas!

Edited by purplewasabi, 25 June 2015 - 05:35 PM.

#17 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

View Postpurplewasabi, on 25 June 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

The horror.... Why can't I stomp on pesky lights with my Atlas!

Silly! Altas is Locust food. You need Dual Gauss to squish bugs.

#18 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:08 PM

Hello Wolfshadow. Welcome back to the fight.

Couple of things you need to know.

1) Clan tech and IS tech has a kind of dynamic balance where clan tech is lighter, has longer range, and does more damage, but runs much much hotter. So don't worry about seeing clan tech in solo queue, it's not that big a deal.

2) You are going to die. A lot. It'll probably take 50-100 matches to get up to speed, but you'll get there.

3) Take Iraqiwalker up on his offer. He's a damn good pilot and he'll help you get up to speed faster.

4) While it's a good idea to look at the meta builds, don't worry about sticking to them. Experiment, find something that works for you, and you'll have way more fun.

5) Don't give up on a mech before you've elited it because it's character will completely change once you have double basic efficiencies and speed tweak.

#19 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

Welcome back.The game has some joystick support in the settings you can adjust sensitivity and assign buttons there.

#20 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

so, one thing that took me a while to notice, little icon on the Bottom right of the launch area, looks like three silhouettes an might be flashing blue.

You can make friends, group up and chat there. A good way to learn a few things, out side of in game chat, which I've notice many a folk are happy to answer. Problem is, most people are probably launching for or in games, so responses could be slow, but it's something to think about.

~Leone, Raid leader of the Crimson Hand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users