First Assault Mech?

32 replies to this topic

#1 DA BAWSS

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

So after looking at www.metamechs.com, Ive been deciding on an appropriate assault mech for my playstyle.

Keep in mind, this is my first assault I am purchasing. from the Trial assaults I have played, Ive noticed problems with the mech class in general:

1: Rediculously slow reaction time:
For some reason, 48.6 kph makes you seem like you're in slow motion. It feels like I turned sensitivity down to minimum. This was most apparent with the HGN-733C(C)

2: EXTREMELY UNFORGIVING
At a slow speed, If I decide to poke my head out in the wrong area, I find myself being pelted by laser and autocannon fire. followed by multiple barrages of LRM fire. and since I am so slow, I can't move to a proper peice of cover before taking massive damage.
The only Assault mech I didn't find this issue with was the Victor chassis.
Even at 64.8 KPH, the banshee was too sluggish with acceleration rates to manuver.

With those being said, I typically pilot mechs that move around 70-100 kph like the Centurion, Shadowhawk, Dragon and Griffin, and specialize in Close Quarters to Medium Range combat using Autocannons and Laser

I'm wondering what might be a good assault mech for someone who has never bought one before. I have been reading on Metamechs.com about them, and was considering the
Victor 9B, or Atlas D-DC. Although I have considered the Awesome 8Q and 8T

I have used the Trial Highlander, a rather akward, yet effective mech, trial Atlas, which the gauss rifle didn't fit at all, trial Victor, which I felt that it's loadout's weapons contradicted eachother, and last but not least: the trial Banshee, despite its immense heat, I found myself scoring high damage. (By my standards.)

Builds I am considering:
Atlas D-DC: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified
Victor 9B: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified
Awesome 8Q: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified
Awesome 8T: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified

#2 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

My new favorite assault mech is the Zeus. They tank very well. I drive them with giant 350 or 375XL engines. Right out of the gate with no basics I was getting 500 damage and kills.

I pilot them like this:
6S: 375XL, 18DHS, 4xLarge Pulse - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...080b0535d4c70d6

6T: 375XL, 19DHS, 3xLarge Laser, 3xSRM4 - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1cfb97aaa3b81d9

9S: 375XL, 21DHS, 3xERLarge Laser, 3xMedPulse - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4ea023bac15a7eb

Stalkers are also very VERY good.

#3 Heckbird

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:45 PM

I would not recommend an Atlas for a first assault Mech for the same reasons you had trouble with the assault Highlander trial. I don't have experience with the Victor myself but if you want a more mobile assault Mech you might consider the Awesome if you want more ranged combat (PPCs, LRMs), or the Battlemaster. The Battlemaster is a great gradual step into the assault class from medium piloting. It can mount high speed engines and the vairents in the chassis tend to focus on energy and missiles making it deadly in close to medium ranges.

#4 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

Battlemaster fits the bill perfectly,that big XL engine will eat some cbills,but its worth it.Only bad thing about it is the ultrahorrible torso twist on most variants

BLR-3M for beginners is a good starting point,other variants to get are 1D and 1S

Edited by Cookiemonter669, 24 June 2015 - 07:37 PM.

#5 DA BAWSS

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:51 PM

View PostHeckbird, on 24 June 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

I would not recommend an Atlas for a first assault Mech for the same reasons you had trouble with the assault Highlander trial. I don't have experience with the Victor myself but if you want a more mobile assault Mech you might consider the Awesome if you want more ranged combat (PPCs, LRMs), or the Battlemaster. The Battlemaster is a great gradual step into the assault class from medium piloting. It can mount high speed engines and the vairents in the chassis tend to focus on energy and missiles making it deadly in close to medium ranges.

Thank you, around 60 kph is my minimum speed.

I heard from many players that the Atlas D-DC is the best assault mech for new assault pilots, and that buying one is great for learning how to pilot them. Is this true?

#6 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:08 PM

View PostDA BAWSS, on 24 June 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

I heard from many players that the Atlas D-DC is the best assault mech for new assault pilots, and that buying one is great for learning how to pilot them. Is this true?

NO

Its slow,and really sluggish unelited,if you compare it to a king crab or banshee

#7 Alilua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:41 PM

I would go with a zues 6s or 9s.

#8 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostDA BAWSS, on 24 June 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

Thank you, around 60 kph is my minimum speed.

It used to be!

Other Assaults are now more interesting though.

The D-DC is the strongest variant of the Atlai line up. It can still competite with other mechs. Because of it's ECM.
The Atlas has a hard learning curve. Not all new players are wanting to face the difficulties and the hard learning curve when getting this mech.

Shameful cross posting from another thread:

View PostSarlic, on 18 June 2015 - 12:40 AM, said:

Atlai only owner since beta.

The Atlas is a teamplayer. It needs pilots around the chassis to role effectively. It doesn't matter if you are outfitted as a brawler, supportive and or medium range. See it as a cornerstone.

It's basically a Jack of all Trades. Tradtional HPs loadout.

The low slung arms, the high and big profile and his ST's are very unforgiving. The Atlas has a hard learning curve. You have to know where you are going to position with slow speeds and getting in range as a Brawler is the most interesting part. Because most new players get already shot and or heavily damaged before they're in range to do the damage they want.

Then they proceed to ragequit. Feel bad for them.

Before getting in range you have another thing to do. Protect your STs. The CT and the ST are the most targetted. With all that LL/Gauss meta you see your ST armor stripped in seconds and perhaps even disabled thus losing half of your FP alone. This is the most difficult part and the most unforgiving one as you have to reposition every time with the Assault. Torso twisting is the key: but it's a hidden skill to be mastered. It looks easy, but it is not.

With the low slung arms and the traditional HP loadout you have to expose yourself atleast 50% of your chassis. You will hit dirt. Alot of times. Most enemy teammembers will focus on you first due your big silhouette instead of a medium or a heavy which is smaller.

I dont mean to discourage you in any way, but i would get more experience before getting the Atlas. It's has his odds against him already when entering the battle. The DW and the Stalker is a better choice.

Read the guide:
http://mwomercs.com/...he-new-players/

On the other side: when mastered all keys and you can pilot the Atlas effectively it's a true beast on the field.
Only when it's properly supported and when left alone it awaits a terrible death. The solo que is not very known of it's teamwork. But sometimes you have these matches: Awesome, which you would have loved more of them.

Are you ready to take that hard learning curve?

View PostSarlic, on 18 June 2015 - 12:58 AM, said:

I think that's a good thing to look forward to. The Atlas sure looks great and cool, i agree but the fearsome character couple years ago is unfortunately gone. Most pilots laugh at th Atlas when they see it and are going for the easy kill.

And most new players are that kill because of that learning curve.

Things change when they find out a more experienced pilot is piloting it ;). That's where you should aim for when getting one.

And perhaps read the guide: http://mwomercs.com/...he-new-players/

Good luck!

#9 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGawler, South Australia

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:39 PM

Banshees are bloody good, capable of high speeds for an assault, very tanky, great shield arms, and have some brutal loadouts. Ideal for learning to play assaults.

Oh, yeah, and all 3 cbill variants have some great loadouts, unlike some other assaults.

Very fond of King Crabs too, although not sure if they are as friendly to a novice assault pilot.

Good luck, and good hunting.

Edited by Petard, 24 June 2015 - 11:41 PM.

#10 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:47 AM

Ive been getting some great play out of my, Battlemaster -1g. 7 med pulse, 2 mg, ams, xl 400, endo, double hs, full armor, 21 heat sinks. I put radar dep, seismic , mp cool down, mp range , and the 2 cool shots. Its like a TDR -SS, but with machine guns and 20 more tons of armor. It tops out at 84kph wich is great. The mobility more than makes up for the xl torso ding. Ive gotton out of sure death many times because of the speed. You can maintain a brutal amout of outgoing pulse laser fire, even on a hot map. On a cold one, look out. Its great up close, and can get out of a jam, and on large maps you can cover ground. You can keep up with the mediums and outpace most heavies too. Being able to take a 400 engine is one of the greatest strengths of the -1G. Speed will keep you in the game.

#11 DA BAWSS

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:48 AM

Thank you all so much!

So I have narrowed it down to the Zeus, Victor, Awesome, Battlemaster and Banshee.

I noticed how all of these require big XL engines to function properly. (Except the Awesome)
Isn't that going to be a problem with the giant hitboxes?

#12 SolarCleric

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostTastian, on 24 June 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

My new favorite assault mech is the Zeus. They tank very well. I drive them with giant 350 or 375XL engines. Right out of the gate with no basics I was getting 500 damage and kills.

I pilot them like this:
6S: 375XL, 18DHS, 4xLarge Pulse - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...080b0535d4c70d6

6T: 375XL, 19DHS, 3xLarge Laser, 3xSRM4 - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1cfb97aaa3b81d9

9S: 375XL, 21DHS, 3xERLarge Laser, 3xMedPulse - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4ea023bac15a7eb

Stalkers are also very VERY good.

I also love the Zeus 9S. as an assault mech, don't you think it's risky running an XL engine in it? The standards can take way more damage right? On mine I maxed the armor out, use the stock engine, and only use 2 Er large lasers and 3 pulse mediums. On second thought though, swapping to endo uprade and addding a 3rd er LL makes a lot of sense. Sniper with armor basically. Though I'm still sticking with the 350 std engine.

Edited by SolarCleric, 25 June 2015 - 12:21 PM.

#13 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

I agree with Petard If you look at the Banshee threads you'll see that the laserboats are fantastic with XL engines because the side torsi are very small and the huge shield arms protect them. The BNC-3E is better with a STD350 engine though is on the lower range of speed you are looking for even when elited because you need the slots for the heavy autocannon (3x AC5 or 2x LBX).

The BNC-3M Wubanshee is one of the most dangerous mechs on the battlefield with the bigger 400XL running 4x LPL, 4x SM (or 3x LPL and MLs) does 75 Kph and is incredibly nimble. Even when you're arms go you still have all your weapons. The 380XL with 4x LPL, 4x ML is very fast and nimble at 71.3 Kph elited.

Remember that unelited mechs especially Assaults are going to totally suck in speed and movement. I spent MC to convert GXP so I could elite them immediately after getting all three.

I love my LaMalinche the most though and am going to enjoy the leaderboard event this weekend!
Here's a good run in it:

#14 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

The Awesome is an unforgiving mech, but it can work in the right hands. While the Zeus is better in almost every way, the Awesome can still put up a fight, even if it is the weakest assault mech.

I understand your feeling - I'm not a big fan of huge, slow, lumbering things. While I have a few Banshees and Atlas's, a standard 325 engine is minimum to get some life into them. The Awesome, however, is reasonably nimble, though this comes at a price - it is more of a "big heavy" then a traditional "walking fortress" assault mech. Remember that there's only 5 tons separating you from a Timberwolf and 20 from an Atlas, and you see my point.

The Awesome has good torso twist and range of arm motion, and most variants use the left arm as a shield. It does, however, lack high mounted hard-points and its torsos are rather easy to hit. Still, if you keep mobile, hit hard in swift strikes, and don't do something goofy like try to face-tank a Dire Wolf because "we're both assault mechs," you can make them work.

That being said, I still suspect the Zeus is better in almost every way. I know it has better hitboxes, same tonnage and similar weapon loads, but it can do ballistics. Also, for some nutty reason, it has better defensive bonuses even though the Awesome needs those bonuses more.

Anyway, I still enjoy my Awesomes, but they only work for a very specialized niche playstyle - folks looking for a highly mobile "light assault" or "super-heavy." If you're into that, you can make them work.

Edited by oldradagast, 25 June 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#15 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

Stalker is probably the best first assault. Lots of firepower, high mounted weaponry, not horrifically slow, and it's probably the most durable mech in the game.

#16 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

i whould recommend a stalker, ill show you mine

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e4d4e26e8268442

the only "problem" is cooling efficency on this, but since you wont use the srm at all times it wont be any problem if you group up your lasers on 1 and 2 and have srm:s on group 3

it got some extra frontal armor to make it survive longer, the lasers are mounted at the wery top and at the sides so you can just peak out a corner of your mech and fire away. the large lasers provide solid DPS down range, but thats not it. Any assault mech sooner or later comes into close quarter combat and this is where the four SRM6 comes into play, as soon as that enemy mech steps around the corner you will fire away 24 short range missiles at his face and thats gonna hurt as hell. but beware of your heat here as you could easy get overheated, step in, fire off your load and take a step back, or work in short highdps engagements. this mech is maid to stay with the big group and provide alot of dps when needed

#17 Psibelius

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:02 AM

It's good to get a feel for how to be a team player when piloting an assault...with that in mind, complex strategies at the beginning are just too difficult to execute, especially if you only play PUGs and are overly-reliant on people who are going to come and save you if you get ganged-up on.

The current Stalker 4N, with its Large Laser quirks, is fantastic mech to play, because it is extremely simple. The best part is onceyou've unlocked everything and added the highest level modules for LL range and LL cooldown, it's an absolute beast that can do full damage out to 540m and can fire quite a lot without overheating...300 STD engine, 6LL, and heatsinks to capacity. Set your firing buttons to 2 LL at a time (left arm, right arm, and center torso) and just keep dumping on consistent damage 2 LL at a time (don't alpha). Don't brawl...there are other people out there to do that. Stay between 400m-500m away and just keep dishing out consistent damage, get behind cover and shoot using only one arm and the CT so that your speed isn't a liability, and for heaven's sake STAY CLOSE TO YOUR TEAM AT ALL COSTS. :)

#18 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:06 AM

I went with the stalkers for my first assault mechs and I've yet to try any other assaults, they just work really well and they have a great hero mech to.

#19 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:41 AM

View Postgwie21, on 27 June 2015 - 12:02 AM, said:

The current Stalker 4N, with its Large Laser quirks, is fantastic mech to play

really the 4N is a waste imo, the only difference on the 4N and the 3F is that the 4N has one less missile slot and cost 200k less, id rather get a 3F then incase he wanna rebuild for more missiles in the future

or if you want an additional AMS slot the 5S, but thats more than +3 million more expensive

Edited by Plaguetongue, 27 June 2015 - 01:44 AM.

#20 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

I would strongly advise against buying any mech based on Quirks, like the 4N. They are going to rebalance all of that stuff in the near future, and the 4N - were it not for the Quirks - would be totally useless since it's just a weaker variant of another Stalker that is lacking a hardpoint. Now, hopefully they'l do something about that in the future, but again, Quirks can change, so buying junk because it has good Quirks is a bad idea. Buy a mech because you like the overall concept, and the Quirks just help it out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users