Mission Packs/storyline Mode

15 replies to this topic

Poll: Single Player Missions or Campaigns (30 member(s) have cast votes)

How much would you pay for a 20 mission pack?

1. $80 (4 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. $60 (5 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. $40 (7 votes [23.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

4. $20 (8 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

5. $10 (3 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

6. $0 (Or you're not interested) (3 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Iyica de Tylmarande

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:55 AM

I know this has been suggested before but I really think it's a missed opportunity. I would pay good money for something akin to say a mission pack. A lot of my friends who I introduce MWO to tell me they're not interested in the game as the single player campaign was the most fun for them when playing the Mechwarrior series.

I know one of the reasons why MW5 was abandoned was because the cost of making a single player game wasn't as viable as an F2P game. But how does PGI know this conclusively? Why not start a kickstarter campaign to find out what the real interest is in such a project? Also now that MWO has developed to the point where it is now, how much harder would it be to create a single player campaign(s)? This would not only attract existing players but also players who have no interest in a purely multiplayer game.

#2 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:31 AM

They don't have a capable AI yet. They're working on one to drive tanks and stuff for some alternate mission types if I'm reading in between the lines correctly. Once that gets done, you can bet your sweet butt PGI will do it if there's money to be made.

#3 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:49 PM

A single player game is totally different to a pvp game and needs a fifferent balance, skill set and work. The amouny of content neede to be generated is an order of magnitude more. 20 missions would be 20 maps in most games. Thats why its not viable.

#4 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

I will gladly put up 80 bucks to make it happen, but there should be some sort of beta testing and such to squash bugs, hunt glitches etc. Those 20 missions need to be worth the bucks and all the effort into making it happen.

#5 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:54 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 26 June 2015 - 02:31 AM, said:

They don't have a capable AI yet. They're working on one to drive tanks and stuff for some alternate mission types if I'm reading in between the lines correctly. Once that gets done, you can bet your sweet butt PGI will do it if there's money to be made.

What if, for the first campaign, they expanded the current PvP maps? Also there are plenty of dedicated fans who'd love to help.

#6 Fat Jack Murphy

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEuropa

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:13 AM

would prefer more PvP content, since PvP never gets boring. missions get boring after you went through 3-4 times.
more Maps - i put down cash for more and larger maps.

#7 Sir AMcA

• PipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

Why not start a kickstarter campaign to find out what the real interest is in such a project?

I had a flashback of the last crowdfunding campaign started by PGI. And how it went right down the drain. :)

And since they are busy redesigning the maps, creating lots of new champion IS mechs, posting pics on Instagram and balancing MW:O, I don't think we will see a singleplayer campaign anytime soon.

But I'm still hoping for one.

#8 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

Pve was confirmed for 2016 in the last Town Hall.

@OP
Aside from the campaign/story mode, what would we get for investing? Camos? Warhorns? Colors? Are they 20 voice acted missions? Or just 20 different maps where we do stuff?

Edited by TheArisen, 28 June 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#9 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 28 June 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

Pve was confirmed for 2016 in the last Town Hall.

@OP
Aside from the campaign/story mode, what would we get for investing? Camos? Warhorns? Colors? Are they 20 voice acted missions? Or just 20 different maps where we do stuff?

Well we all hope they will do it old-school with actual actors and props and stunning visuals like MW4 was done (I will never forget the intro and the sloughter of the Dresari family). MWO could use some actuall fluff and immersion in the form of actual actors in greatly designes mechs and environments..

Edited by Vellron2005, 28 June 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#10 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

AW now has PVE, though it has quirks, it was quite fun. MWO PVP I find just plain ******** really. THe Alpha everything, mechs melting in 2 seconds.....meta mech build TDM every time. PVE atleast has a missiony feel. Much more fun.

#11 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

We could always in the meantime do a "proxy campaign" with missions. Just write up scripts for a "mission", record a dialogue for it (which you can play with a soundboard), and then use people as stand-ins for the A.I with Stock/Trial mechs. Not perfect (not in a long shot) but I feel that with enough practice with the A.I people going over scripted routes and events it could be fairly similar albeit not as good.

For example:

Mission 3: Operation Crimson Tide

Map: Crimson Strait

Objectives:
  • Destroy Echo Base
  • Destroy Enemy Patrols
  • Destroy Base Defenders
  • Destroy Star Commander Kotare
  • Destroy Enemy Reinforcements

Briefing: Ops to Alpha Lead, we have located Star Captain Furey's base of operations in the abandoned Gryphon City. He's been using it as a staging ground to launch his recent attacks on the nearby colonies and cities. If we are to drive the Smoke Jaguars out of this sector then Echo Base must fall commander. Luckily, intel suggests that Furey and the majority of his forces are currently out on missions raiding nearby sectors leaving his base under defended compared to normal. Take Alpha lance with you and destroy Echo Base. The local garrison consists of a mixed Medium and Heavy Star. Also, keep a look out for some patrols in area, the current base commander is particularly wary of attacks from the west and southern regions. There is a mountain pass to the north east of your drop point if you wish to avoid them, it should buy you some time before the base defenders come online, but this is up to you. Echo Base is also defended by a small group of defense turrets, nothing special there, but they can prove to be problematic if you were to ignore them. I would advise you to execute the mission quickly commander because Furey will most likely dispatch mechs to reinforce Echo Base.

That is all, Ops out.

Spawns:
  • Player and Alpha Lance F3 (on the slope there)
  • Enemy Scouts 1-2 (A4, D5 respectively)
  • Enemy Defenders 1-5 (C6 area)
  • Enemy Reinforcements 1-5 (E6-E7 area)
A.I Scripts:
  • Alpha Lance (if not co-op): protect Player, shoot Player-designated targets, stay within 400m of Player.
  • Enemy Scout 1: Take water to beach side of A1, stop, wait and scan for 15 seconds, proceed to island off of B2 near C2, wait and scan for 15 seconds, then proceed C3 hill area, wait and scan facing the water for 15 seconds, then proceed back to A4 and repeat cycle. If Player/Alpha Lance makes contact or is discovered engage immediately.
  • Enemy Scout 2: Proceed west to the edge of the upper area, stop, wait and scan facing the water for 10 seconds, proceed to down the ramp on the right to C3, stop, wait and scan facing the water for 15 seconds, then proceed to B2, stop, wait and scan the area for 15 seconds, then proceed back up the ramp to D3/D4 and repeat cycle. If Player/Alpha Lance makes contact or is discovered engage immediately.
  • Enemy Defenders 1-5: Spawn shut down. If Player/Defender makes contact or is discovered wait 30 seconds and then power up. Move to engage the Player and Alpha Lance with a priority of protecting Echo Base.
  • Enemy Reinforcements 1-5: Spawn shut down. Once Player/Alpha Lance destroy Echo Base wait 30 seconds and the power up. Move to engage the Player and Alpha Lance with a priority of preventing their escape via the Player's spawn point.
Here's a visual to help with this:

Posted Image

Key:

Blue area: Player/Alpha Lance spawn and extraction area.

Yellow area: The dotted line is Scout 1's recon route. The yellow circles are where Scout 1 is to stop and scan.

Purple area: The dotted line is Scout 2's recon route. The purple circles are where Scout 2 is to stop and scan. Note that Scout 2 is not to follow the dotted line back to D5 but rather back to D3/D4.

Black area: Limits of Echo Base where the Defenders should stay once activated. If they travel outside of this area then they are to return quickly.

Mech Spawn Points:

Red Jenners: Scouts 1 and 2

Red Hunchies: Medium Defenders (C7/D7) and Medium Reinforcements (E6/E7)

Red Cats: Heavy Defenders (C7/D7) and Heavy Reinforcements (E6/E7)

Blue Atlas: Player

Blue Cat: Alpha 2

Blue Hunchies: Alpha 3 and 4

Edited by TheSilken, 02 July 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#12 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

Yes please?

#13 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:37 AM

I find it quite odd that people would only be willing to pay $10 for a 20 mission campaign when there are hero mechs that sell for more. No way would it be worth it to Pgi to make this and only charge $10, let's be realistic ppl.

Edited by TheArisen, 04 July 2015 - 11:44 PM.

#14 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:02 PM

Looks like $30 would be about ideal, judging from the current votes.

#15 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 05 July 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

Looks like $30 would be about ideal, judging from the current votes.

That means you start at $50 or $60 and those who won't pay full price can wait for a sale.

#16 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:45 AM

PVE campaigns should not be charged... this game is free to play, lets not be a-holes and start charging for the good stuff..

Mech packs that cost as much as full fledged games are bad enough...

I mean, ok, if your gonna charge me for a 40+ mission campaign with a deep storyline, live-acted characters, great soundtrack and great immersive gameplay, then ok, I'll pony up a 20-30$, but then its not MWO, its MW5..

And we all know that ain't happening any time soon..

For a 20 mission campaign set on the same maps, with lame-ass objectives and crazy quirked mechs that MWO has.. no, I would not pay a single cent.

Edited by Vellron2005, 09 July 2015 - 04:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users