Terrain Issues / Invisble Barriers... How Can We Help?

2 replies to this topic

#1 2MyBalls

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBamberg

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

Hi Mechwarriors,

I'm very new to MWO, so sorry if this is already existing topic (I did not find any fitting in the forums)

As a new player I find very frustrating getting stuck on invisible terrain, and shooting invisible walls/hills, in a competitive shooting game...

so the question came to mind: "Why this have to be like this?"

I know that new maps take a lot of work and effort to develop, test and optimise.

I'm concerned about the already existing maps. Those are already there, only the textures and terrain need to be more clutch and slick.

My questions are:

- What would it take to "fix" or re-render the already existing maps?
- What can I do as player to help?
- Is it possible that some talented people in the community could "remake" the already existing maps?
- If it is a question of CPU time, can I "donate" my CPU time like in "SETI@Home"?

Fight well warriors

Edited by 2MyBalls, 28 June 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#2 Vegalas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts
  • LocationAt the screen. On my seat too.

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:17 AM

Hey there, I'm not sure if this is the right topic for this discussion but the invisible wall issue has been all over the place for a very long time now. You could get a grasp of the problem by simply searching for "invisible wall" on the forums. I would bet that it's the most discussed gameplay issue on the forums since the beta. I'm not sure what the problem is with fixing them. Somebody speculated that cryengine is simply hard to work with and that could very well be the case. I doubt that it's easy to work with evn with better experience. I remember that there was a thread made for collecting pictures about the spots so that they could be fixed but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Edited by Vegalas, 12 July 2015 - 01:16 AM.

#3 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:51 AM

Send your collision feedback to this thread: http://mwomercs.com/...ision-feedback/

Specifically in regards to CW maps, use this thread instead: http://mwomercs.com/...ision-feedback/

What you need to provide is a screenshot of the collision in question. Have F9 coordinates enabled, be in 1st person so the map grid is visible, and preferably show yourself shooting a laser into the invisible wall.

"CryEngine is simply hard to work with"

Not in regards to collision meshes. Anybody could do this kind of work with less than an hour's training, and it's not a particularly intensive task.

When you send this kind of feedback, somebody pulls up the map in CryEngine, goes to the coords, identifies exactly what asset (object) is causing the issue, and modifies the hidden collision mesh for that object in 3DS Max or similar programme. This change reflects on all maps in the game since assets are shared between maps in most cases, so if you fix a building on Crimson Strait and that same building happens to be used on Mining Collective somewhere, then both get fixed for the price of one.

It's worth noting that collisions issues only happen with objects, they don't occur with the terrain itself. If you experience an invisible wall with terrain at close range, it's likely actually an object, not terrain. If you experience an invisible wall with terrain at a distance, it might not be fixable - it has to do with the Level of Detail (LoD) setting, which determines the distance at which terrain is rendered at decreasing polygon counts to save CPU power. The LoD of course could be raised, but this would have an adverse effect on framerate and LoDs remain constant across all video settings because the whole nature of terrain visually popping out of existence on lower settings could be abused.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users