- - - - -

Newbie Pilot

20 replies to this topic

#1 chupacabradiet

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

...I should've come to the forum sooner.
I'm relatively new to Mechwarrior Online, and just recently finished up my first 25 Cadet bonus matches. Yeees, I made the mistake of getting myself a new mech before saving all those tasty c-bills up. But s'alright, I've been having fun in my Jagermech, getting trounced time and time again.
I figured I could make the experience better by actually connecting with the rest of the community and having some regulars to show me the ropes and get a better kill average than "one kill every 4 games."
Though being on the west coast of Canada, by the time I get online at night, the rest of the world is already wrapping it up.
So any pilots out there willing to show me how it's done? Maybe even another newb out there who wants to team up and see if we can grind our way through the molten mech wreckage until we figure out how to pick our fights a little more wisely?

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

Jagers are good mechs, so no worries there. I remember them feeling sluggish when i first piloted them. Stick with it, focus on slow moving targets, find a weapons loadout you like. Go to http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ and build your Jager there then save it so it gives you a link to share and you can post that here and we can help you improve your build.

If you don't know about the mech skills, make sure you unlock those as you go. There are 8 basic skills you can unlock as soon as you get the xp. You will need 2 more different variants to unlock basics in as well before you can unlock the elite skills on any of them. Once you've finished the elite skills, the basics are doubled for that mech which makes a big difference in how good the mech performs.

#3 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

^^ what he said.

Also if you're looking into another heavy chassis, try out the Dragon. The variant 1N has an insane Autocannon 5 Quirk(ability) that lets you shoot faster and further.

Any more questions just pm me (go click on my name and send a message) or ask here, a lot of us will answer your questions.

I hope you find all the questions you want answered are to your satisfaction, and hope you have a great time in game!!!

-Scout Derek

#4 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

jager is a very good is ballistic heavy

you can use links to smurfy here http://metamechs.com...-lists/is-list/ (all mech names are links there) to get some idea how to build them, but consider that that guy isn't the ultimate truth and you may easily find a better build or a build which suits you more, i don't like a plenty of his builds (1 med laser on streakcrow?, no thanks, ppc on drg-1n? ahem) but they give a good idea how to build a mech

you have to buy 3 of them to elite and master them though, eliting a mech makes a drastic difference
it's better to try some of the trial mechs first, may be you will like those more (note, clan trials have terrible stock builds)

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 27 June 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#5 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:41 PM

Welcome to MWO and forums. Don't believe the crap people say in-game that the forums are "evil".

Anyways, you can use the above mentioned smurfy to build mechs then share the builds for feedback.

#6 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:31 AM

Better late than never.
You didn't do a mistake buying the Jaegermech. It's a decent chasis.

If you wish to find people to play with I suggest taking a look at the community warfare section of the forums and there you'll find clan and innersphere sections. Under those sections you find different clans or on the innersphere side different houses and units and teamspeak (etc) addresses. Most units are happy to play and help the new guys.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:44 AM

MWO players come from many different countries and time zones, I will probably be on from about 8pm to 10:30 tonight (UK time), when you made that first post yesterday for me it was about 9pm.
if you want help, send me a friend request (click on the button with 3 head and shoulders silhouette at the bottom near the right corner of the mechlab screen and click add friend) then when I appear on your friends list double click my name and type a message, I will send you details of a teamspeek server we can use, that is if you are interested.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ Mechlab has been mentioned, but that site is a lot more than just a Mechlab, it includes the Maps, a lot of details about each Mech including the Mech Quirks, min/max engine ratings, hardpoints, max torso twist and arm movement angles, price as well as detailed information for every weapon and piece of equipment.
this information is extracted direct from the game files and is usualy updated within 2 hours of a patch.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 28 June 2015 - 02:45 AM.

#8 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:26 AM

Welcome aboard. Here is a link to some tutorials you may find helpful : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxBj2REkWqc&list=PL9gcXb2rsbIkKYY0pjM5iZBc94hAMs8HD&index=1 . If you're having trouble with the link just copy and paste into your browser.

Edited by Spike Brave, 28 June 2015 - 07:30 AM.

#9 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

Just run a generic dual guass build. I am sure you can kill something.

Jagers are pretty fragile, don't feel bad that you are dying in them. You should probably finish eliting the chassis before moving on to something else though.

#10 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

Jagers are decent, you definitely picked a good first purchase. I would recommend either a dual-gauss or dual-ac20 build if you want to rack up some c-bills with kills. Do get 3 of them and finish unlocking the elite tier items on at least one before moving onto another chassis (where I would suggest going either medium or assault for a little variety in game play experience). Maybe think about joining a unit that is very active on teamspeak, people on voip are usually not shy about giving directions and guidance.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:43 PM

View Postchupacabradiet, on 27 June 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

I'm relatively new to Mechwarrior Online, and just recently finished up my first 25 Cadet bonus matches. Yeees, I made the mistake of getting myself a new mech before saving all those tasty c-bills up. But s'alright, I've been having fun in my Jagermech, getting trounced time and time again.
I figured I could make the experience better by actually connecting with the rest of the community and having some regulars to show me the ropes and get a better kill average than "one kill every 4 games."
Though being on the west coast of Canada, by the time I get online at night, the rest of the world is already wrapping it up.
So any pilots out there willing to show me how it's done? Maybe even another newb out there who wants to team up and see if we can grind our way through the molten mech wreckage until we figure out how to pick our fights a little more wisely?

It won't be until around 4 AM before I can get online tonight (EST; I'm on the East side of the US) but likely that's well within the time you'd get on.

Also, don't fret about the Jagermech. Once you have it sufficiently equipped and armored you'll be wrecking face.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jagermechs: Koniving
Screenshots: Lordred.

Jagermechs are awesome.
I'll be glad to have a Jagermech lance with you to build a firing line. ^_^

#12 chupacabradiet

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:29 PM

woah damn! Guys, I am blown away by the amount of help and support i got right away. I'm glad as hell I came to the right game community. I'll be checking out all those resources and making a double AC20 jaeger to start, and get more involved in the forums here. I look forward to blowing everyone to pieces. Alternatively, blowing up people alongside you guys.

#13 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:04 PM

View Postchupacabradiet, on 28 June 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

I'll be checking out all those resources and making a double AC20 jaeger to start...

Are you sure you want to do that? It has a fairly short range, and we've had nearly 2 years of practice exploiting its weaknesses. :D

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:11 AM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 28 June 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

Are you sure you want to do that? It has a fairly short range, and we've had nearly 2 years of practice exploiting its weaknesses. :D

Gotta remember, new player, most likely gonna be facing few vets and some new players.

Still, I kinda like my compilation of Triple PPC Awesomes wiping out AC/40 Jagermechs. Or this Flamer Battlemaster doing the same in slow motion.

That said, I prefer a twin AC/5, twin AC/2 rig. Or twin LBX, twin MG + twin Flamer. Or Twin LBX + Twin AC/5.
In order:
AC/5 AC/2 fire support.
Twin LBX/MG/Flamers
No vid of the last one. But definitely worth it.

(Note: XL engines required to pull these off well.)

#15 chupacabradiet

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:29 AM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 28 June 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

Lol, actually, no im completely uncertain. I made sure to get the JM6-A so I've got the versatility of 4 missile hardpoints, 2 energy and 2 Ballistic. I figure it could make for a decent LRM boat too if i was so inclined. Aside from some trial and error (and some suggestions from you guys on what build would be good), I guess I'll just need to test them out in the pilot's seat

#16 Donnerkeil666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal II
  • Marshal II
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

I play it similar to this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...031aa489608e0df
Also when I do play dual AC20 I use this version as it has range quirks.

@Koniving How do you post those links with a descriptive name like "AC/5 AC/2 fire support"?

Edited by Donnerkeil666, 29 June 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#17 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:29 AM

Welcome on board man, be patient, this is the best advice what I can give you. GL

#18 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

View Postchupacabradiet, on 27 June 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

You've got a lot of talent responding to your post. I'm actually on the west coast of the USA. So I'm on Pacific time. I might be able to help you with your drops, and any other piloting tricks you might need over voice comms. Or even in-game chat.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

View PostDonnerkeil666, on 29 June 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

@Koniving How do you post those links with a descriptive name like "AC/5 AC/2 fire support"?

Quoting would get a far faster response (as I always jump right to any notices that come up).

That said... Type out the descriptive name you want.
Example: The Real Use of Flamers.
Now highlight it.
Click on the icon of a paper clip with a circle (below "Size") above your text box.
It will ask for a link. www.examplelinkofsorts.com (Don't click that).
Once you click OK, you will have this.
The Real Use of Flamers

#20 chupacabradiet

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 01 July 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

You've got a lot of talent responding to your post. I'm actually on the west coast of the USA. So I'm on Pacific time. I might be able to help you with your drops, and any other piloting tricks you might need over voice comms. Or even in-game chat.

well awesome, that'd be a huge help. Mind if I add you up as a friend?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users