What Is Mech Should I Get

Question New Player Feedback

20 replies to this topic

#1 hawkhan

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:23 PM

Well hey guys i am having a hard time deciding weather I should get the masakari/warhawk or the mad cat/timberwolf. I cant deicede I am a brawler pilot and I need a mech that can give a good amount of damage and take a good amount of damage. I want a mech that can excel in dog fights or one on ones. I want the mech that can charge head first into battle and give and take the most damage. So which one is the better brawler the masakari or the madcat? Also what is the best clan brawler mech that is fast?

P.S Sorry is i have bad grammer.

#2 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:56 PM

Timberwolf. If you want mobility, I doubt you want to play in an assault. Play some trial 'Mechs to get a feel for it.

There are no good brawling 'Mechs though. Large team sizes, an ass backward heat system and several other terrible game mechanics congeal out in game play to make brawling suicide in most cases.

#3 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:08 PM

Timberwolf, you can brawl with SRMs, lasers still. And the Timber can hit and run, especially if you have some JJ.

#4 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:50 PM

View Posthawkhan, on 27 June 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

Well hey guys i am having a hard time deciding weather I should get the masakari/warhawk or the mad cat/timberwolf. I cant deicede I am a brawler pilot and I need a mech that can give a good amount of damage and take a good amount of damage. I want a mech that can excel in dog fights or one on ones. I want the mech that can charge head first into battle and give and take the most damage. So which one is the better brawler the masakari or the madcat? Also what is the best clan brawler mech that is fast?

P.S Sorry is i have bad grammer.

Timby is the more durable mech.

Warhawk has way more firepower at a good speed but its hitboxes are unforgiving making it a glass cannon. It is fun though.

#5 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:38 PM

Get them all?

One at a time :D

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:56 AM

the Timby is in my opinion the better Mech, however it is also a much higher priority target than the Warhawk. the biggest problem with the Warhawk is that it looks like a Dire Wolf from certain angles, (as a mostly light pilot, who usualy spends the first few minutes at the start of a match scouting , many a time have I misidentified a Warhawk as a Dire Wolf when I have been unable to get a lock) so people will see you and panic thinking "Dire Wolf, Kill it", the Dire Wolf is usualy the most heavily armed Mech in the game, but from what I have seen most people do not consider a Warhawk to be a high priority target

#7 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:22 AM

Most people will say Mad Cat er... Timberwolf. I'll make a suggestion that isn't meta, but that I enjoy and do well with. Take a Masakari er... Warhawk with 2 er ppcs and an lb-x 20.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:04 PM

I my opinion, if your looking for the best clan brawler, you cannot beat the Murder Nova. x4 Machine guns in the torsos, x12 Er smalls, six in each arm, fired an arm at a time to avoid ghost heat. I have face tanked assaults in that beast. Granted, it's a pretty restricted build. All that firepower comes at a cost. You get to be all up in peoples faces, because you need to be up in peoples faces, you have no range.

Ryoken/Stormcrow is faster than the Madcat, and has some decent brawl capacity, but of your two options, I'd say go Madcat. The Masakari is too slow and can't load enough weaponry to brawl it up well. Low hard point count means heavier longer range weaponry, high hardpoint count allows you to spam lighter weaponry for greater, but often closer range effect.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 28 June 2015 - 11:04 PM.

#9 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAny red light district or above 27,000ft on a mile-high club jet

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

LOL the thread says "What IS (Inner Sphere Mech) should I get". the threadstarter derailed his own thread :-D peace.

Back to off-topic (Clan mechs). Get a Hellbringer. Otherwise get a Timberwolf. But really you should get Hellbringers. Don't ask why just get them. ;)

#10 Dr Gonzo316

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 104 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:20 AM

View PostLeone, on 28 June 2015 - 11:04 PM, said:

I my opinion, if your looking for the best clan brawler, you cannot beat the Murder Nova. x4 Machine guns in the torsos, x12 Er smalls, six in each arm, fired an arm at a time to avoid ghost heat. I have face tanked assaults in that beast. Granted, it's a pretty restricted build. All that firepower comes at a cost. You get to be all up in peoples faces, because you need to be up in peoples faces, you have no range.

Ryoken/Stormcrow is faster than the Madcat, and has some decent brawl capacity, but of your two options, I'd say go Madcat. The Masakari is too slow and can't load enough weaponry to brawl it up well. Low hard point count means heavier longer range weaponry, high hardpoint count allows you to spam lighter weaponry for greater, but often closer range effect.

~Leone.

The Nova is way too fragile to be a real brawler. With a 5SS you can take it out with 2-3 salvoes and most of the times it will be a pile of scrap metal until you are in optimal range. I would go with the stormcrow, either with 6 spls + 3x SRM6+A or 10 spls. The crow is very very resilient, fast and the alpha-potential is extremely brutal.

#11 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:30 AM

The best brawlers would be the thunderbolt 5ss, king crabs and atlas DDC. The latter two can also take quite a beating but they are big, slow and lumbering not to mention that you will get focussed on

#12 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:23 AM

View PostJumping Gigolo, on 28 June 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

LOL the thread says "What IS (Inner Sphere Mech) should I get". the threadstarter derailed his own thread ;)

I just noticed that.

In such a situation you need a recommendation based off your thread topic.

I suggest the THUNDERWUB!

#13 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:48 AM

View PostDr Gonzo316, on 29 June 2015 - 12:20 AM, said:

The Nova is way too fragile to be a real brawler. With a 5SS you can take it out with 2-3 salvoes and most of the times it will be a pile of scrap metal until you are in optimal range. I would go with the stormcrow, either with 6 spls + 3x SRM6+A or 10 spls. The crow is very very resilient, fast and the alpha-potential is extremely brutal.

crow is less resilient than timber though
it's significantly more agile though
well, except no jj

#14 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

Timberwolf

#15 DarkonFullPower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostT Decker, on 30 June 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

Timberwolf

You are either trolling, or didn't read the title. IS Mech.

#16 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostDarkonFullPower, on 30 June 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

and you obviously didn't read the post and read the title only :3

#17 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:28 AM

Cool off guys.

The OP meant: "What is the mech I should get next."

To answer the question:
No Mech should rush head on and no Clan mech is more than a mediocre brawler compared to his Inner Sphere breathren.
The real advantage of clan mechs is their high weaponsrange and their ability to lose components without dieing.
I can't stress out this fact enough: You have a high range and the speed to keep an enemy at range.
Those mechs that should be good brawlers and duellants are either hindered by their lack of hardpoints ( Summoner ), by their bad geometry ( Nova ), or their lack of module space in combination with bad hardpoint positioning ( Gargoyle ).
I think the Warhawk is the weakest close range mech in game. He has all three weaknesses, bad hardpoint positioning, bad hitboxes and bad geometry.

The Stormcrow is most likely the best Clanmech for medium to close ranges.

The Nova can be deadly though if it is able to get you off balance or in a moment of unawareness: Rattlesnake
But its a long and painfull process of learning this to use with any effect and its highly specialized.

(p.s. mech geometry means how the general form of the chassis reakts to its environment )

#18 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

View PostDarkonFullPower, on 30 June 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 30 June 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

and you obviously didn't read the post and read the title only :3

Round 1

Fight!

In OP defense he did say he had bad grammer (mine isn't that great either).

I would recommend taking some time to review through the way you play and decide if that mech chassis is for you. Or you could explore other ways of playing and search for the mech(s) that would compliment the new style of play.

Edited by dragnier1, 01 July 2015 - 03:56 AM.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:25 AM

Orion or Grasshopper. Best of both worlds between an Assault and a Heavy.

Of the two I currently prefer Orion. But lets be honest of my 3 grasshoppers I took one out, uh... once, I think. Been spending all my upgrade funds on the Zeus and Enforcer which I got around the same time.

#20 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

The TimberWolf is a good mech to start with for many reasons already stated but also because it has OmniPods which gives you a variety of different weapon hard points. You can build an LRM boat or a brawler or what ever you want, it gives you lots of options.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users