- - - - -

Co-Op Friendly?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Matrilwood

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:06 PM

I've been thinking of starting playing this game, and wanted to bring my friends into it as well. Two of which are veteran World of Tanks players. I was wondering how easy it is to play this game in groups. e.g. creating your own Lance and going into a match together. Maybe even having a seperate chat for Lances. Stuff like that.

#2 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:20 PM

Let's make sure you don't have the wrong impression.

1. MWO is always player vs. player, every match. There is no single-player mode, and there is no meaningful player vs. environment or player vs. bots action. Most people wouldn't describe MWO as "co-op".

2. MWO has a "minimally viable" set of social functions in-game. This includes a friends list, the ability to form two types of groups (for different game modes), and the ability to form a "unit". A unit is mostly useful for Community Warfare, the "persistent world" game mode.

3. MWO has three chat channels in matches: All Chat, Team Chat, and Lance Chat.

Basic functionality won't be your problem in MWO. Your problem will be the punishing grind to get enough currency to buy mechs (although if you've played WoT, you know a bit about that already) and the lack of useful tutorials or opportunities to practice and learn mech mechanics. If you have friends that want to play, you start at an advantage on the practice piece, since you and your friends can form Private Lobbies to fight each other under whatever conditions you want (any map, any type of mech you own, etc.).

If you and your friends did enjoy World of Tanks, you'll probably warm up to mechs more easily than most new folks. Prepare to have your mind blown by the ability to fully customize your mechs in the Mechlab, then prepare to be wasted on the battlefield for a while until you learn to optimize your mech builds.

Have fun!

#3 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:25 PM

I'd like to add that the above-mentioned private lobby (game) is not free, someone needs to purchase premium time to use it.

Just think of battlemechs as walking tanks (legs for tracks and torsos for turrets).

Edited by dragnier1, 27 June 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:22 AM

you can absolutely team up with a few friends and have matches in the group queue, MWO does have a steep learning curve I would make sure your friends know this before starting.
to form a group click on the social button along the bottom edge near the right corner, it is a button with 3 head and shoulders silhouettes on it, then ensure everyone you want to add is on your freinds list, if not add them, when you have everyone on your list create a group, and click on each persons name and send an invite.
you will all be in a lobby, where the group leader can add more players, when all players have clicked ready you can launch into a public match where you will (assuming your group is less than 12) be placed on a team with other players close to your groups average skill level, against a team with as close as the matchmaker can provide to the same average skill level. at current the only restrictions are that you cannot have 11 players (2-10 and 12 are allowed) and that you cannot take more than 3 Mechs from the same weight class, e.g. 4 heavy Mechs

If you are OK with a 12v12 match with no control of the settings a private match is free.
at least 1 person (the person who forms the lobby) needs premium time to unlock most of the settings,
the leader of each team needing premium time to have team sizes smaller than 12, e.g. for 1v1 duals, 11v12 or lance v lance..
$6.95 (the smallest and worst value MC pack) will get you enough MC to buy 5 "1 day" premium time passes or one "3 day" and two "1 day", or one "7 day", a day of premium time lasts 24 hours, and is counting down weather or not you are ingame

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 28 June 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:11 AM

View PostMatrilwood, on 27 June 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

I've been thinking of starting playing this game, and wanted to bring my friends into it as well. Two of which are veteran World of Tanks players. I was wondering how easy it is to play this game in groups. e.g. creating your own Lance and going into a match together. Maybe even having a seperate chat for Lances. Stuff like that.

Welcome to the MWO forums.
To specifically answer your question:
I found that three simple clicks can start the group, and included the adding people you know tidbit.
Step 1: Select "Social". (Pictured is a Highlander).
Posted Image
Step 2: Choose to create a group.
Posted Image
Step 3: Choose the type of group.
Posted Image

Now add people:
Posted Image
For adding friends you can see the button there and only need to type out their name (not case sensitive).

#6 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:12 AM

I'd just like to add a bit more regarding co-op. If you already have TeamSpeak for use in WoT or other games, you can use it here. Additionally, PGI has fairly recently implemented VoiP in-game, but it is sort of under a beta release. If all you are concerned about hearing you is your buddies, then TeamSpeak is perhaps the better way to go. If you want everyone on your team to be able to hear you, then use Voip. Note that you can use both at the same time.

In non-community warfare, there are two ways to play this game. Either as a pug (solo player dropped with other solo players) or as a group. As a group you will drop into another group or several until your 12-man team is filled. You will be matched against another team of 12, which can be made up of several groups (like yours) or a single 12-man group. 12 man units tend to be very good and very coordinated because they are generally using TeamSpeak, so if you are against them, prepare to be rolled. If you wind up winning, feel confident that it was a well-earned win.

Hope to see you on the battlefield.

#7 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

Let's not forget about community warfare. You can create a unit and drop in teams of up to 12. Here are some videos I made about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users