7 replies to this topic

#1 Baphomech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

*If* MWO is ever able to advance far enough in the timeline that Rotary Autocannon can be added, I suggest making the weapon sound like the real-life GAU-8 Avenger rotary cannon that is mounted on the A-10 Warthog. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it sounds pretty cool.

Brrrrrrrrrrt.

#2 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:40 PM

Rotary AC's were my favorite weapon in MW4 Mercenaries, I hope we get them soon...

#3 MarineTech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

Rotary autocannons didn't appear until the early 3060's. We've got a few years to go before they're available.

#4 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

If you also give them the same level of recoil as the GAU-8 that would be cool. If it fires too long, the plane can stall out :D

Having a temporary drop in your speed while firing would be hilarious.

#5 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

I prefer not to turn a ac in to a hit scan weapon because that's what it would be.... another noisy laser.

#6 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:42 PM

It would be sweet to have it sound like that once we see RACs.

And as we've seen with Clan AC's it's quite possible to have the dakka like that, with that sound, and have it work.

And it's gonna spit out tons of lead since our base DPS in MWO is way higher than in TT so I don't think that they'd have to end up as hit scan weapons.

For example, if we fit the RAC/5, DPS-wise, between AC/10s and AC/5s with a value from a base 3.00 DPS up to 4.00 DPS (or higher) that we could see projectiles to be 1 to 3 damage each and an extremely short cooldown (ranging between ~0.50 to ~0.85 without a built in burst, a built in burst like Clan ACs than that cooldown will be a tad longer and use a short delay between rounds in a burst).

The main challenge at that point would be to make sure that the net code could handle that volume of dakka, which I think should be.

And gameplay-wise, I'd utilize the current Ultra firing pattern since RAC's can easily unjam in lore as Ultras currently do and simply tweak the jam chances as needed.

Than what I'd explore is adapting the MASC damage system to Ultra Cannons, where firing in Ultra mode raises the heat/stress bar and once you hit critical the actual weapon starts to receive damage until its destroyed if you keep firing too long, to make RACs different from Ultras and ideally add more to MWO.

The values for how that adapted system would work, would obviously need some tweaks, but the code already exists and hopefully could be adapted to more situations like actually having Ultras being more true to lore with ideally beneficial tweaks to weapons (need to test the ideas right?).

#7 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:23 PM

what would be a difference between rotary and uac?

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 29 June 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

what would be a difference between rotary and uac?

Faster fire rate, more jam chance. It's a UAC on steroids.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users