9 replies to this topic

#1 MaximusPayne

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 96 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

Hey guys,
I'm a former Mech2, Mech3, Mech4 (and a little MWLL) player that just recently had the mechfire reignite inside me. I know this a F2P game but I have no problem investing money into a game that I enjoy to play. I also feel the team behind the curtain should get paid for their hard work on a product we're all using. I've been out of the game for a while and am looking for some sound advice on what to invest some MC into in order to get caught up. I'm not in useless aesthetics like dashboard monkeys or fuzzy dice, or even paint jobs that place a massive bullseye on my back. I'm leaning towards champion mechs or mechbays, or something in that line. I purchased my first mech last night ( Stormcrow-B ) and have been tweaking its build around my play style. I'm more a support player on the battlefield and like to rely on speed over size for defense, so I stick to the smaller mechs. Any and all friendly advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

Mechbays should be one of your top priorities for MC.
Don't buy a champion. It only gives you an xp boost for that mech. It's not very helpful after you've mastered that mech. Instead, look for a Hero mech.

If you really want to stretch your dollar, look at the Mastery bundles. It includes one Hero, one Champ, and one standard variant, a month of premium time, and 3 mechbays for the mechs. Some bundles come with a statue too. They are 50% off the contents so they really are a great way to get going if you like the contents and are willing to spend that much MC. Otherwise, Hero mech. Some are on sale now for 50% off.

#3 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:32 PM

Completely agree on the Mastery Bundle. Try some mechs, play a good amount of matches and see what you like.

#4 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

mech bays

hero mech

mastery

or spend pure cash on reinforcement / clan pack

#5 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

The mastery packs were a good deal even before the sale. Depending on how much you plan on playing, premium time may also be something you want to take a look at. It makes the grind a lot less tiresome. Either way, at the very least you're going to want more mech bays.

#6 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:20 AM

I vote for mechbays.

I should add another as well (not to be missed) : Pre-order early release mech packs (for example the upcoming llC mechs). These packs are for MWO players to get their "hands" on the latest shinies before they are released to the general public a month or two down the line. In addition to obtaining exclusive use of them shinies you also get mechbays that come with them, as well as fluff (the earlier you pre-order the more fluff you get). These packs come with bigger price tags compared to other items. USD $20/30 per tier up to $80/120.

Edited by dragnier1, 30 June 2015 - 04:20 AM.

#7 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

Alot of people adivse you to buy mech-bays... depending on your plans I would hold off on them.
As already mentioned mastery packs and reinforcement packs have mech bays included for everything you buy, furthermore you can acquire mech-bays by doing community warfare, simply fight for each faction for a few weeks and you should get plenty mech-bays.

I speak from experience, i have 23 empty mech-bays because i bought a bunch, then received loads for free when doing events and such over time, and I am a wolf loyalist so i have not even collected extra from the other factions through loyalty points. at some point you have more bays than you will kow what to do with...

In the situation that you have 5+ hours of gametime everyday, and plans to collect every single mech, go ahead and buy a ton of mechbays though.

#8 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:00 AM

Mech Bays ( I have 20 open) You can purchase them, (sales at 30% and 50% off.) Or win then in the grab bag events (you can get a few or none.) Then Community warfare awards mech bays at level 2, 6 10 and I think one or two more. Mastery bundles and preorders come with the mech bays.

Master packs good idea, I think everything is about half off when you look at the full price.

Clan/IS packages - If you purchase them early before release there are more items given out, including premium time. Figure $80 for any IS package and $120 for clan packages. These may be the best deal to purchase, expecially the pre-order

If you buy colors, go for grays, blacks or the camo colors. Some thing dark to help shadow the mech and keep someone from targeting specific locations.

Anything that you purchase do it on a sale. For $99.95 get 30,000 MC instead of 25,000. Hero mechs at 50% or 30% off. Colors or camo patterns at 50% off.

Mechs, Griffins are good (3M, 2N and Sparky) and the shadow hawks. The storm crow will excel at what you want to do. Try the wolverines, but play them to the quirks and they excel.

Cockpit items, well you will win those through just playing or from the mastery packs or clan/IS packages. The one but is the air raid war horn or isobaric are great to hear upon killing someone.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 30 June 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#9 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:37 AM

Mech bays can be earned pretty easily by doing a 7 day contract with each faction for Community Warfare (CW). It is included in the level 2 reward, which you can get in 2-6 drops depending on skill. Now is a good weekend to get yourself at least one, it should be busy. During the rest of the time CW population seems to be pretty low, but you should be able to get enough games over the 7 day contract..

Mastery packs are a good investment, after you decide your play style. You get the mechs, mech bays, 30 days premium time, and some goodies. Some of those mechs come with the really expensive XL engines.

Since you said you like the smaller, faster mechs, the Cicada Master Pack might be a good investment. I believe all three come with XL engines. They are a bit tougher than lights, while still able to keep high speeds. But, since you took a clan contract. you can also purchase clan mechs a la carte. Since you already purchased one Stormcrow, you may want to skip that one. The Shadowcat may also be a good fit, and are due to be delivered July 24th. But, that purchase does not give you premium time.

#10 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 479 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:01 AM

Like TheCaptainJZ said, mech bays and mastery packs are the way to go, Maximus. The mech bays will let you get the extra mechs of each chassis type that are good but do not come in the mastery pack for a given chassis (or when a chassis does not have a mastery pack).

Of course if you did not know, the purpose of the mastery packs is to give you the three variants of a given chassis necessary to fully master/skill up that chassis, allowing its full speed, agility, torso twist rate, etc.

Given you mention smaller mechs I would say go with lights and mediums. If clan definitely medium, not light. Lots of choices for inner sphere lights, but at 35 tons, the IS is pretty good w. Ravens, Panthers, Jenners and soon Wolfhounds. A tough medium that behaves like a light is the Cicada at 40 tons, deserving mention. Inner Sphere mediums have a plethora of options, I am partial to centrurions but they are a bit old and behind the times so I probably do well w them due to experience rather than them being good. Griffins and Wolverines I think are currently pretty good for IS mediums, each I think having a good mix of laser and missile, or laser, ballistic, missile w jump jets, allowing you to learn the MWO VERSIONS of these mechanics/controls.

I said if clan, go medium for a reason. Not.because clan lights suck, but because to play THEM right, it helps first to have experience in medium mechs, to know how to use cover more than speed, which clan lights so far do not have alot of. Despite nerfs, the Stormcrow is still a damn fine clan medium.

A last piece of advice, take or leave... is put some serious thought/effort into learning/playing the game w mouse and keyboard rather than joystick. I know some purists who have really great stick skillz from previous games who are doggedly sticking to joystick input for immersion, or versimilitude, or cause they remember that in the other games using joystick started hard but eventually could be better... what I have seen though is in MWO, despite some nods to these purists, the mechanics decidedly give the advantage to mouse and kb users due to how modern mouses have dpi switching, better integration and more buttons/combinations at easy availability - in addition to a certain economy of motion not available in most joysticks.

I have great sympathy for those who try joystick, respect for those who can make it work for them - but also pity for some I know who are making things hard as hell on themselves, railing against the game, the devs and teamates because they are not the mech gods they know themselves to be from previous games where they were deadshots with their Saiteks and MS Sidewinders.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users