Community Warfare Hardcore Unit Event

285 replies to this topic

#181 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

View Postquantaca, on 02 July 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

So ehm spectre do those SWOL 12 mans actually win matches then ? Because with those numbers i feel you should be at least near MS on the leaderboard if not past us. I dont have a lot of time to play this week so i dont really know how many 12 mans are on in US primetime and i only get home from work at the start of EU/US ceasefire, but i can say for sure that for the first 3 hours in US prime MS had "only" about 2.5 teams running and that was with a few CWI guys mixed in.
At the hight of BoT (which was far more challenging and popular) we did hit our TS server limit of 90 a few times but that was also with visiting players we were kind of the wolf hub at that time :P and with people that use our TS for other games some never played mwo some still do and others have quit (yesterday we had more people in the ARK rooms then in our dropships)

swol, winning drops? lol
they overwhelm with their cannon fodder, that's all

i recall how i saw swol pilots with 50 damage in assault mechs in pugs several games in a row. different pilots

#182 GeistHrafn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMB, Canada

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 03 July 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

I agree with you, although I'm told it may just be me. A few of the people in my unit can apparently see our standing. Seemed to be about 50/50 last night.

Yea I noticed this too. I can see our standing (which isn't good, we're a very small unit, and folks are playing a lot of Ark right now), but most of my unit mates couldn't. Odd.

#183 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

View PostThumper3, on 03 July 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

Dude, how LITTLE do you value your TIME? I mean, playing since closed Beta? Right around 4 years? For $30? On any assumption of your play time that means you value your time less than like a penny an hour. If you are that miserable man just walk away, $30 dollars for 4 years.......

I expect a large number of hours of fun per dollar spent on computer games. it's the biggest reason I play them in the first place.

Time spent in a game that is not fun is of next to no value.
There have been times when the game was actually fun, but those times have become depressingly rare.
Meanwhile 2,692 MWO games at an average of 7 minutes = 314 hours. $30 divided by 314 = 10 cents per hour.
Compared to 261 hours of Fallout New Vegas that I bought on a steam sale for $7.99 = 3 cents per hour
I plan on playing Fallout New Vegas again using a mod, so by the time I am done with it, it should be closer to 2 cents per hour.

I find it very sad that I have obviously gotten my moneys worth in time spent, but emotionally feel I have been cheated in the quality of the game. (This is an emotional value assessment, and logic and math is often kicked to the side in these cases.) It seems to me that as irrational as my feelings may be, there are way too may people that feel the same way.

Edited by Smith Gibson, 03 July 2015 - 04:11 PM.

#184 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostTina Benoit, on 02 July 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

This is as designed, large units need to protect their planets.

Curious about design here. When the event is over, should I avoid taking planets or playing altogether because they might come back and hurt the unit during a future event? CW is struggling to populate during non-events as it is. With that said, I think Mercstar should not auto-win everything, but the way PGI went about this seems so wrong.

Not only did this hurt large units it also hurt some small units(some are negative pts). Seems like it lacks any design whatsoever.

I am sure Mercstar will figure out something for next time and will probably involve camping one faction all next season. Not sure if if I will have the same drive to take planets during non-events.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 03 July 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#185 Desintegrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:39 AM

Great event !

The Clanners are so overnerfed that they loose ever single game !

Thanks PGI for that great fun.

#186 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:59 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 03 July 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

I agree with you, although I'm told it may just be me. A few of the people in my unit can apparently see our standing. Seemed to be about 50/50 last night.

I wonder if it only shows to those who were in the unit at the beginning of the event. I joined my current unit shortly after event start.

#187 bleedingme

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAschaffenburg, Germany

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:37 AM

View PostTheStrider, on 04 July 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

I wonder if it only shows to those who were in the unit at the beginning of the event. I joined my current unit shortly after event start.

That is not the reason. Several members of my unit including myself cannot see our ranks, and we all are members since the founding of the unit.

#188 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:06 AM

View PostTina Benoit, on 02 July 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

This is as designed, large units need to protect their planets.

YES!

aaaand, I really would like to do it, but I cannot.
Since as clanners we cannot protect our IS planets...

#189 Bulvar Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

Answer to the last poster is.....do not switch allegences then.

Stick to one faction and be happy with that. Loyalty should be its own reward (well that and the rank awards)

Being a merc/freebooter in CW was ever thought out as well as it should have been, here is hoping pgi get their heads together with a larger pool of players and thrash out something more dynamic, exciting and fun, for all our sakes.

#190 Nyuuu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

View PostBulvar Jorgensson, on 04 July 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

Answer to the last poster is.....do not switch allegences then.

Stick to one faction and be happy with that. Loyalty should be its own reward (well that and the rank awards)

Being a merc/freebooter in CW was ever thought out as well as it should have been, here is hoping pgi get their heads together with a larger pool of players and thrash out something more dynamic, exciting and fun, for all our sakes.

So if we want to stay mercs, we should use our psychic powers, expect that such an event would come up and not play CW until it happens? CW certainly has a large enough playerbase to make that a good idea....

#191 Bulvar Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:41 AM

No just play mercs with longer contracts....6 months, 3 months...heck even a year.

Flip flopping around like some merc units do to get planet tags,(which mercs should not hold) defeats the purpose of playing a merc unit....prestige is a merc units contract power.

Complaining you cannot defend your opposite faction planets whe you switch factions, smacks of a certain i want all the sweeties, no one else is getting any.

#192 GermanPartisan

• PipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

The biggest beef I have with this event is that its again a "strengh in numbers"- thing. As a smaller unit you cant possibly beat bigger units just because they manage to field more players ( we run 5-8 players most of the day - rarely a full 12 men, they at many times of the day manage to field 2 or even way more full groups - depending on the unit). No matter how hardcore of a CW unit you are - with 80 points as the score you have to achieve units that have 150+ players will always be ahead.

you really need a system that rewards higher individual scores. maybe have 80 as your bare minimum but have a TIER approach to the points, lets say:

80 points = 1 Evenpoint (EP)
120 points = 2 EP
150 points = 3 EP
180 points = 4 EP
200 points = 5 EP
220 points = 6 EP
300 points = 12 EP
.... and so on - the higher the score gets the better the reward needs to be cause it gets procedurally harder to achieve a better score the higher you get - the better you are the harder it gets to get even better.

at least that would adress one part of the problem and prevent some others.

One particular problem we as a unit (DW) ran into was - that prior to the event we discussed joining in some people from a even smaller unit to bolster our ranks - which are particular good players individually. They, in the end - in part - decided to join with a bigger unit for the event - probably (just guessing here) because they had a better chance at winning this way .... if their individual class as a player would be more of a factor they might have decided to join with us.

In the end this isnt the solution for all problems there are, sure, because bigger unit still have high class players that easily can achicve scores over 200 but still I really think you need to incorporate a system that adresses individual class as a factor.

Not just for the events but for CW as a whole. People that are in smaller units and do good games, get REALLY frustrated about the fact that in the end no matter how good they are and how often they wreck certain people one on one ( or per game basis) they still lose in the long run against units that have strengh in numbers.

This and the fact that holding planets has no benefit at all, are for me THE two most prominent problems that hinder CW. That and the GENERAL design flaw that is CW as a whole right now.

But as it stands right now ( even if you wouldnt adress the underlying problems in the general, the way CW is working right now, and the somewhat flawed map design - you guys and gals try to fix by moving spawnpoints around and buffing dropships into a absurde level ) these two things probably keep the most players away from CW - even if said players have way more problems with CW than just these two.

If you have a deeply flawed approach to a game mechanic at least make it so that people have an incentive to play anyways ( thats what you try to achieve with your challenges, I know) - make one or two incentives outside of challenges - they will still bi*** and moan about the underlying problems (rightly so btw!) but at least they would play the gamemode and maybe they would feel better about their individual contribution to it.

so long
Seb

Edited by GermanPartisan, 04 July 2015 - 12:00 PM.

#193 Spectre195

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 03 July 2015 - 03:17 PM, said:

swol, winning drops? lol
they overwhelm with their cannon fodder, that's all

i recall how i saw swol pilots with 50 damage in assault mechs in pugs several games in a row. different pilots

Uhmmm we win just about every game unless we are against another unit where its like 50/50......

#194 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 03 July 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

Curious about design here. When the event is over, should I avoid taking planets or playing altogether because they might come back and hurt the unit during a future event? CW is struggling to populate during non-events as it is. With that said, I think Mercstar should not auto-win everything, but the way PGI went about this seems so wrong.

Not only did this hurt large units it also hurt some small units(some are negative pts). Seems like it lacks any design whatsoever.

I am sure Mercstar will figure out something for next time and will probably involve camping one faction all next season. Not sure if if I will have the same drive to take planets during non-events.

We could make a Mercstar "event" unit (MSEV) next time that would allow us to start fresh on the next CW event and not deal with this shenanigan that PGI (Tina?) has conceived to handicap SUCCESSFUL units that actually bother to play CW. Kinda expensive but I think most people would pay the contract breaking cost to get around this nonsense next time.

Edited by Arkbird Phoenix Kell, 04 July 2015 - 09:34 PM.

#195 BattleHymn

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

View PostGermanPartisan, on 04 July 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

The biggest beef I have with this event is that its again a "strengh in numbers"- thing. As a smaller unit you cant possibly beat bigger units just because they manage to field more players ( we run 5-8 players most of the day - rarely a full 12 men, they at many times of the day manage to field 2 or even way more full groups - depending on the unit). No matter how hardcore of a CW unit you are - with 80 points as the score you have to achieve units that have 150+ players will always be ahead.

you really need a system that rewards higher individual scores. maybe have 80 as your bare minimum but have a TIER approach to the points, lets say:

80 points = 1 Evenpoint (EP)
120 points = 2 EP
150 points = 3 EP
180 points = 4 EP
200 points = 5 EP
220 points = 6 EP
300 points = 12 EP
.... and so on - the higher the score gets the better the reward needs to be cause it gets procedurally harder to achieve a better score the higher you get - the better you are the harder it gets to get even better.

at least that would adress one part of the problem and prevent some others.

I would absolutely agree with you that it would be nice to have a tiered system to the match score, in order to reward excellent play.

This may on the surface attempt to "even the playing field" for small skilled units vs large unskilled units. However, this assumption that large units are always unskilled is quite deeply flawed, even though it is absolutely the popular opinion in the vocal parts of the community.

The community already has made a huge fuss that players in such units are able to score 2 points per match already (1 for exceeding 80 match score and 1 for winning the drop), eventhough this was the first step in "evening the playing field" on PGI's part (that is, to reward good/successful play compared to BoT). Imagine the outrage when they find out that these players would also get credited for 4-12+ extra points per match in this tiered system?

Contrary to popular belief many of these "leading units" in CW are not scraping by with a 50% win ratio and player scores of 81 across the board. This will likely not sit well with some that believe that all large units are terrible, but while they may have "the numbers advantage", to assume that they are not scoring in the range of 200-300+ points in the majority of games is a mistake; the scoreboard would be far more "outrageous" than it already is right now.

Again, I agree with your points made, I just think the community mindset as it stands now wouldn't be able to handle a change like this overall, and will probably fuel further hatred of large units.

Edited by BattleHymn, 04 July 2015 - 09:44 PM.

#196 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:07 PM

View PostArkbird Phoenix Kell, on 04 July 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

We could make a Mercstar "event" unit (MSEV) next time that would allow us to start fresh on the next CW event and not deal with this shenanigan that PGI (Tina?) has conceived to handicap SUCCESSFUL units that actually bother to play CW. Kinda expensive but I think most people would pay the contract breaking cost to get around this nonsense next time.

CW Meta Bro

#197 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:21 PM

This event stinks ... all it promotes are units bigger than 100 active members. At the same time show how pathetic Marik units are ... (if you haven't looked take a glance at their leader board ...).

So while Russ may claim he wants to see units between 50 and 100 active members he promotes units that are bigger with events like these.

What should be done is caps on member count in units ... bust them up some 100 or 150 sounds good.

Edited by clownwarlord, 04 July 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#198 Stitchedup

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 133 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:10 AM

Anyone know why I cant see my units position? (not in top5). Yes logged in.

#199 Nyuuu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:32 AM

View PostArkbird Phoenix Kell, on 04 July 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

I would be more than happy to pay my part for the coffer to avoid problems with badly executed events like this one in the future....

#200 Koshirou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 827 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:39 AM

View PostStitchedup, on 05 July 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

Anyone know why I cant see my units position? (not in top5). Yes logged in.

Because you can't. It's designed that way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users