First Medium Mech?

43 replies to this topic

#1 Coolcat33333

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:02 PM

Hey guys, all I have are Heavies and Assaults, and my unit is telling me I need to start trying mediums.

What's a good first medium, I don't care if it is clan or IS. If it matters I prefer firepower over speed.

#2 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:05 PM

scr

#3 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

If you want an IS mech. THen I can recommend Shadowhawks. They are not the best or the worst, could have used some better quirks but they are versatile and have great hitboxes. Love the underdogs, love Shadowhawks!

Fun fact. Shadowhawks were the only mech the FRR produced as far as I know ;)

If clan. Well Stormcrows, but golly its so boring that most pick that one even if its one of the best mediums, its much more fun to challenge one self with a "lesser" /lower tier mech :P

#4 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

Shadowhawk or Griffin!

Shadowhawk if you prefer a bit more Autocannons, Griffin for more Energy (PPC).

i started playing with a Shadowhawk and never regret it! Still one of my favorites mechs.

#5 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

If you're looking for brute force it's hard to go wrong with the Nova. Its not an easy recommendation because it's probably one of the toughest chassis to use in the game and its got plenty of flaws. Despite that you're looking at a reasonably mobile machine (decent speed and jumpjets) that can boat 12 energy weapons out of the box.

I hated mine at first and gave up on grinding them out when Wave 1 was initially released but returned to them pretty recently and now they're probably one of my favorite mechs.

Edit: Lots of good choices on the IS side but just to name a few: Shadowhawks, Griffins, Wolverines, Hunchbacks, Centurions and Enforcers are all solid choices.

Edited by PowerOfNapes, 30 June 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#6 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:34 AM

View PostCoolcat33333, on 29 June 2015 - 10:02 PM, said:

Hey guys, all I have are Heavies and Assaults, and my unit is telling me I need to start trying mediums.

What's a good first medium, I don't care if it is clan or IS. If it matters I prefer firepower over speed.

If your looking for clan mechs I say stormcrow. Otherwise as IS I recommend Hunchbacks because each one supports a different role/playstyle. I own all except the grid iron. The SP is not what it used to be anymore but the G, J, P, and even the H are very viable.

#7 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

Like previous post, I enjoyed HBK because each variant had a different playstyle. 4J has amazing lrm10 reload speed, 4G packs a nice meatcannon, and the 4SP can missile crit internals.

#8 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

stormcrow is a safe bet - you'l like it no matter what

nova is solid but you need to put a bit more work into doing well with it since it's got the wide-set low slung arms - can't beat the firepower it can unleash out in the open though

although they'r hardly amazing the hunches and the cents are good solid fun with lots of options

blackjacks are a little fragile but i ended up playing hundreds of games in the BJ-1X since it's nimble, fast and well armed with really high mounts

cicadas are ok, but the ECM 3M with dual LPL have been giving me amazing results - ECM greatly enhances your survivability and the high-mount LPLs let you pop up, fire fast, then retreat before they can get a bead on you

#9 FilthyPeasant

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

I am really getting into the Griffin. You can make a really nice 3xML, 3-4xSRM4 brawler with JJs! I like the Blackjacks too as they are the Jagers little brother lol.

#10 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

View PostFilthyPeasant, on 30 June 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

I am really getting into the Griffin. You can make a really nice 3xML, 3-4xSRM4 brawler with JJs! I like the Blackjacks too as they are the Jagers little brother lol.

If you haven't tried the BJ-1X yet, please do so. What it lacks in JJ, it makes up for in quirks and speed. It's the Ferrari of Blackjacks, with a 295 max engine.

#11 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:42 PM

View PostCoolcat33333, on 29 June 2015 - 10:02 PM, said:

If it matters I prefer firepower over speed.

This, this right there makes me think you should try IS mediums. If you really want a challenge, you can down grade IS engines and load up your medium like a heavy. I've done it with my Shadowhawks, and let me tell you, it works. Don't get me wrong, you'll probably die. You just don't have the manouverability a medium needs to survive the whole engagement.

But when you do meet someone and they think they outgun you just cuz they're heavier? Hilarious.

~Leone

#12 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:03 PM

Firepower?

Stormcrows
HBK(any but the H)
Cents(AC20 variants)
Griffin(srm brawling)

#13 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:21 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 30 June 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

If you haven't tried the BJ-1X yet, please do so. What it lacks in JJ, it makes up for in quirks and speed. It's the Ferrari of Blackjacks, with a 295 max engine.

speed and firepower - it's been a while since i sat in one, but looking at it again it's stupidly good for it's size. i used to sit back and snipe at the beginning of the match with the ER while constantly repositioning, then close in and clean up with the 39 alpha which the 18DHS sops up well

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...491e504c7a6bf94

#14 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:03 AM

I'd recommend the Griffin as a fun, close range brawler. I'm currently running two builds. An 1N with 3 medium pulse lasers and 2 SRM 6's and an 3M with 4 SRM 4's (+ artemis). They have decent mobility (with a decent top speed and jump jets) and pack a real punch at close range. I run both of them with plenty of double heat sinks so they can maintain a good rate of fire as well.

#15 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:27 AM

Stormcrow.

#16 Bill Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 354 posts
  • LocationHiding from the Maskirovka

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:33 AM

The HBK series is the perfect chassis for the Medium Mech beginner. The HBK-4G offers powerful short range brawling, The HBK-4J is a great LRM platform, the HBK-4SP is a great dps brawler with SRMs and 4 arm mounted lasers, and finally the HBK-4P is a great laser boat that can easily switch between a 9x ML build or a laser sniper load out.

So when it comes to variety and vicious short range firepower the HBK series is a fantastic start for new Medium Mech jocks.

We don't talk about the HBK-4H.

#17 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:49 AM

clan = stormcrow. obviously (ice ferret plays like a light with more armor and nova is unforgiving)

IS = hunchback. very forgiving chassis and it has a variant for almost every type of weapon.
(laserboat, lrm, srm brawler, ac20 brawler and a gauss sniper hero)

pick any hunchback you like while looking at their quirks and it will work. (except the H)

Edited by mark v92, 02 July 2015 - 04:53 AM.

#18 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:56 AM

Whats with all the HBK-4H hate?

You've got a fast fire AC10 with a nice complement of MLas on a mech that can now actually handle the heat.

Sure, its not as impressive at the 4G but it's still fun and decently effective.

#19 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostPowerOfNapes, on 02 July 2015 - 05:56 AM, said:

Whats with all the HBK-4H hate?

You've got a fast fire AC10 with a nice complement of MLas on a mech that can now actually handle the heat.

Sure, its not as impressive at the 4G but it's still fun and decently effective.

the 4H is a nice mech on itself but the G is simply better when u compare them

#20 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

View Postmark v92, on 02 July 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

the 4H is a nice mech on itself but the G is simply better when u compare them

Yep I agree that the 4G has an edge over the 4H but the comments in the thread just make it seem like it has absolutely no value when that's simply not true.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users