86 replies to this topic

#1 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

Since the Town Hall, I planned to redo these but they took longer than I would have liked. Either way, here are some updated front profile comparisons for mechs to better judge which 5 may need resizing. I know there was another thread, but it didn't start with this sort of profile comparison, so I figured it would be best to get a fresh start and maybe a way to compare these a little better.

Lights
Posted Image
Posted Image

Mediums
Posted Image
Posted Image

Heavies
Posted Image
Posted Image

Assaults
Posted Image
Posted Image

All
Posted Image
Posted Image

My Vote based on the severity of some of these: Kit Fox, Nova, Catapult, Awesome, and Victor

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 04 July 2015 - 01:14 PM.

#2 Queek Head Taker

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

this is why we can't have nice things... cause people cant be happy with what they got. So instead of making new cool content maybe finish destructable crap lets resize mechs!

#3 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:18 PM

Thank you for not mentioning my favorite Mech in the game that has the greatest benefit of being too small...

The Stalker...

The CAtapult is larger than the Stalker... a Mech that is 20 tons heavier (yes I understand Volume has nothing to do with Mass and Tonnage).

#4 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

Could you please put all of them in a row? Or if that will make it too long, you could take a couple of 'Mechs from each weight class and then do the same.

I'd very much appreciate it!

Edited by Hit the Deck, 30 June 2015 - 03:25 PM.

#5 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 30 June 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

Could you please put all of them in a row? Or if that will make it too long, you could take a couple of 'Mechs from each weight class and then do the same.

I'd very much appreciate it!

I can, it will take me a little bit but I should have it up later tonight. The only reason I didn't do it is because the inner-class balance is the main concern.

#6 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

Wow, thanks for putting the effort into rendering those, that looks like it took some time.

#7 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:51 PM

Doing god's work this is the best scale lineup i've seen. Usually thye'r just silouettes

I love how PGI has gotten worse at scaling as they contiue to add mechs. There isn't even any semblance of any scaling anymore like there used to be.

Posted Image

Edited by Tennex, 30 June 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#8 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:55 PM

My votes are... Kit Fox (L), Trebuchet (M), Quickdraw (H), Orion (H), Victor (A)

Why those... ?

Kit Fox: this mech is wider than other mechs and taller than a Jenner (which is 5 tons heavier and infinitely faster).

Trebuchet: as tall as a 55 ton mech and much taller than the hunchback (which is the same weight).

Quickdraw: Taller than similar weight mechs and very blocky for a highly-mobile archetype.

Orion: Taller than similar weight mechs and HUGE legs. This mech is easy to leg (seriously, legs are 2x as wide!).

Victor: Very wide and tall for a mech that relies on a highly-mobile archetype. This is a Quickdraw that ate too many pies.

#9 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

Do you have a way to enclose the models and calculate volume to compare the mechs ?

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

Look at the smug Hunchback and the cocky Epic *******, and arrogant Stalker, among those mechs.

I personally add the Quickdraw and the Grasshopper. So easy to single out the Hopper and shoot at it because it is head taller than the rest of the lance. Make the legs shorter.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 June 2015 - 05:07 PM.

#11 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostTennex, on 30 June 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

Do you have a way to enclose the models and calculate volume to compare the mechs ?

No, looked into it the last time I did this and there are too many meshes that would prove to beyond my abilities.

That said, I don't know that it would be the best way to handle things, but kind of a moot point.

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:12 PM

Wow, that doesn't look right to me. The Adder is tiny, and so is the Nova and Dire Wolf. That can't be the actual scale in game. Do my eyes deceive me?

Edited by Tarogato, 30 June 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#13 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for this.

A line up with arms not showing is needed to show the critical balancing issues.

Edited by Johnny Z, 30 June 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#14 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:18 PM

View PostTarogato, on 30 June 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

Wow, that doesn't look like. The Adder is tiny, and so is the Nova and Dire Wolf. That can't be the actual scale in game. Do my eyes deceive me?

Looks like the lineup is in T Pose. Maybe in game some of these mechs have more bent/straight legs

For example the adder is as tall as the raven with ingame pose

Edited by Tennex, 30 June 2015 - 06:03 PM.

#15 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:29 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 30 June 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

I can, it will take me a little bit but I should have it up later tonight. The only reason I didn't do it is because the inner-class balance is the main concern.

I think this is a very useful idea. It does look like you've scaled each weight class differently. The Adder is the same size as the Dire Wolf which I know is not really the case. Perhaps if you're going to keep different scaling across the weight classes include duplicates of the Mechs from both neighboring weight classes. Like include the 40 tonners on the end of the lights, the 35 tonners and the 60 tonners on both ends of the mediums, that sort of thing.

#16 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:42 PM

Thank you, OP

#17 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:45 PM

Figured I would post my reasoning for my picks while waiting for a CW match.

Kit Fox: Easily the biggest lights which is sad for a mech that can't even attempt to abuse speed. The worst part is that it is larger than its brethren the Adder which share the same legs, though it doesn't have the CT issues the Adder suffers from. Honorable mentions are the Raven and Adder.

Nova: While the Trenchbucket and Centurion are definitely honorable mentions, the Nova is larger than the Ebon Jaguar whereas the Trenchbucket and Cent are at least lithe compared to their heavy counterparts. Other honorable mentions are the Shitaro, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, and Vindicator.

Catapult: Even without the boombox ears it suffers from being large even with a glass jaw. The Stalker is the standard for glass jaw mechs like this. Boomboxes with VCR attachments for ears don't help either. Honorable mentions being all three 60 tonners, the Asshopper, and the Onion.

Awesome and Victor: Larger than a majority of assaults yet the smallest in tonnage, they have larger torsos than even the notoriously broad chested Battlemaster. The only real difference between the Victor and Awesome is the Victor has better mounts and benefits from a triangular torso whereas the Awesome is just a rectangle. Honorable mentions are Mr Gargles, the Battlemaster, Stalker (for being too small), Dire Wolf (for being too small).

View PostDomenoth, on 30 June 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

I think this is a very useful idea. It does look like you've scaled each weight class differently. The Adder is the same size as the Dire Wolf which I know is not really the case. Perhaps if you're going to keep different scaling across the weight classes include duplicates of the Mechs from both neighboring weight classes. Like include the 40 tonners on the end of the lights, the 35 tonners and the 60 tonners on both ends of the mediums, that sort of thing.

They aren't scaled, they are just rendered at different distances. The point wasn't to compare the Adder to the Dire Wolf, it was to compare the Adder to the Firestarter, etc.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 30 June 2015 - 11:23 PM.

#18 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:00 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 30 June 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

They aren't scaled, they are just rendered at different distances. The point wasn't to compare the Adder to the Dire Wolf, it was to compare the Adder to the Firestarter, etc.

Understood, but including 40 tonners rendered at the same distance as the lights would help with perspective. Sort of like including the tiny man in one of the corners. Like:
Posted Image
and
Posted Image
Having both these images lets us indirectly compare the Brachiosaurus (don't care if I spelled it right) to these other smaller dinosaurs.

Edited by Domenoth, 30 June 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#19 Team Chevy86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

Quickdraw. Makes me laugh every time.

#20 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent