Clan Vs Is Mech Info For New Players

14 replies to this topic

#1 Endbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

Hi all,

There've been a few changes since the initial clan announcement and I was hoping to find an updated thread to explain the Clan mechs to a new (or pre-Clan) player in regards to customization in the mech lab.

Does that exist anywhere? If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

If not, do you think it would be beneficial to have such a thread stickied in this forum?

Thanks!

Edited by Endbringer, 01 July 2015 - 07:26 AM.

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:06 AM

I think Spikebrave has a video about it.

However, I don't think we have an official thread on that.

Would you like me to give you a non-heavy quick and dirty version?

#3 Endbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:26 AM

That would be awesome. Thanks!

#4 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

Okay. You know how IS mechs work. Here's how clan mechs work:

1- Upgrades: Only Artemis can be chosen, if you want it on or off.

Endosteel, and Ferro each take 7 slots instead of 14. However, they are both locked to the chassis, so you can't switch them off, and their slots are static, unlike the IS dynamic ones.

This means if an ST has 4 slots of Endo in it, they can't be moved around (You can move them around in IS mechs.)

2- Pods: Clan mechs are built by assembling 8 pods (head, CT, RT, LT, LA, RA, LL, RL). The different variants of a chassis can swap the pods between one another. You don't need to own the other variants, to purchase their pods, and put them on the ones you have (For example, my DWF-Prime has the Side Torsos of the DWF-B. Even if I don't own the DWF-B.)

This is the biggest difference, as that means clan mechs can pick and choose which hardpoints to put on the mech. It also means you can run the exact same loadout, across multiple variants. The CT pod is the only one that can't be changed.

3- Engines: Clan mechs come with XL engines, and they are hardlocked into the chassis, they can't be changed. However, these XL engines take only 2 slots in each side torso, instead of 3, so when you lose a side torso in a clan mech, you don't die. Unlike IS XL engines (The rule is that if an engine loses 3 slots, it's dead. That's why IS XLs die to ST loss, while clans don't)

4- Weapons: (Generally speaking ALL clan weapons use less tons, and slots than IS ones)

4.A - Ballistics: Clan Ballistics come in 3 varieties:

AC, Ultra AC, and LBX. They differ from IS ones in 2 aspects: 1- The variants exist for all classes (2,5,10,20). 2-They are burst fire.

Burst fire means that unlike IS ACs, they don't fire one single shot. A Clan Ultra AC 20 (C-UAC20) fires 5 bullets, each dealing 4 damage.

4.B - Missiles: Clan Missiles come in 3 varieties,: SRM, Streak SRM, and LRMs. They differ from IS missiles in the following ways:

1- Streaks come in 2s, 4s, and 6s. While IS has only 2s.

2- They have no tube counts. All clan missile ignore tube counts, so you can put an LRM 20 wherever you want.

3- LRMs fire differently. Their fire mode is called "ripple fire" or "stream fire" where the launcher files one missile at a time, at rapid speeds.

4.C - Energy: Clan energy weapons share the same types as IS ones, except for one difference: Clans don't have a PPC. They only have the ERPPC. However, their ERPPC deals 10 damage to the section it hits, and 2.5 to one section adjacent to it on each side (If I hit the CT, then the CT receives 10 damage, and each side torso receives 2.5)

Also, clan energy weapons tend to be hotter than their IS counterparts., but with more range.

5 - Equipment: Clan equipment is usually lighter, and smaller, but functions similarly to their IS counterparts with slight differences:

1- Double Heatsinks: Clans only have double heatsinks. However, they take up two slots instead of 3, while weighing at 1 ton. Another difference is that some clan mechs come hardwired with several DHS that can't be removed (the WHK has 20 that it can't move)

2- Active Probe: Clan active probe is lighter than the IS one, but it doesn't passively jam ECM. You have to lock on to the ECM mech to disable it's ECM, and even then, it only jams it under 200 meters. (I need someone to double check that for me, because I heard it might have been removed recently)

3- CASE: Every section on a clan mech has CASE built into it's structure, so it takes no slots, and no tons from the mech.

4- Jumpjets: They come hardwired on the pods that have them. Otherwise, they work the same as IS ones, and take up the same amount of tons, and slots.

5- ECM: Smaller and lighter than the IS one, but works the same way.

6- Command Console: Unique to the IS.

7- Targeting Computer: Come in 7 sizes ranging from the 1 slot 1 ton TC1, to the gigantic 7 ton 7 slot TC7. Unique to the clans. They increase the speed of projectile weapons, (including ERPPCs, and Gauss), plus the ranges of all weapons in the mech, and their crit chance (crit chance bonus does not apply to MGs, LBXs, and Flamers).

I think that's about it. I hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, post them here.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 01 July 2015 - 07:51 AM.

#5 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 01 July 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

[color=#959595]3- [/color]Engines[color=#959595]: Clan mechs come with XL engines, and they are hardlocked into the chassis, they can't be changed. However, these XL engines take only 2 slots in each side torso, instead of 3, so when you lose a side torso in a clan mech, you don't die. Unlike IS XL engines (The rule is that if an engine loses 3 slots, it's dead. That's why IS XLs die to ST loss, while clans don't)[/color]

Clans mechs are destroyed by ST loss, but only if BOTH side torsos are destroyed.

Two more things:
- There are no Hero and Champion mechs for the Clans.
- Weapon Modules for Inner Sphere doesn't work on Clan Mechs and vice versa, but Mech Modules (like Sensor Range, Radar Deprivation) does.

#6 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostAscaloth, on 01 July 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

Clans mechs are destroyed by ST loss, but only if BOTH side torsos are destroyed.

Two more things:
- There are no Hero and Champion mechs for the Clans.
- Weapon Modules for Inner Sphere doesn't work on Clan Mechs and vice versa, but Mech Modules (like Sensor Range, Radar Deprivation) does.

I should have been specific and said SINGLE ST loss. You are correct.

#7 Endbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for the information! This is exactly what I was looking for.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

View PostEndbringer, on 01 July 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

Thanks for the information! This is exactly what I was looking for.

To mention it: All things described by Walker (short of the IS Command Console) here are in regards to Clan OmniMechs, and are not shared with Clan BattleMechs (which a series of 4 Clan BattleMechs have just been announced).

Clan BattleMechs will share identical rules to Inner Sphere BattleMechs, though the equipment will be Clan Tech and not IS Tech.
Clan BattleMechs cannot change hardpoints like Clan Omnimechs. BattleMechs can change engines, structure and armor types.

#9 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:34 AM

One point to add regarding clan lrms. Unlike IS lrms, which have a minimum range of 180m, clan lrms have no minimum range. This is both good and bad. It is good because it means that you can fire lrms at an enemy when he is really close and still have him take damage. There is a caveat and that is that under, I believe 90m, there is a diminishing damage on clan lrms, so that at point blank the enemy takes no damage. The downside to clan lrms is that because they fire in a stream and have no minimum range if a friendly mech walks in front of you while the stream is coming out, he will take damage from any lrms that hit him. You also you need to be very careful if you have friendly units in front of you when firing clan lrms.

Edited by mailin, 01 July 2015 - 10:42 AM.

#10 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

View Postmailin, on 01 July 2015 - 10:34 AM, said:

One point to add regarding clan lrms. Unlike IS lrms, which have a minimum range of 180m, clan lrms have no minimum range. This is both good and bad. It is good because it means that you can fire lrms at an enemy when he is really close and still have him take damage. There is a caveat and that is that under, I believe 90m, there is a diminishing damage on clan lrms, so that at point blank the enemy takes no damage. The downside to clan lrms is that because they fire in a stream and have no minimum range if a friendly mech walks in front of you while the stream is coming out, he will take damage from any lrms that hit him. You also you need to be very careful if you have friendly units in front of you when firing clan lrms.

Only partially true.

Clan LRM's have no minimum damage range, but what they do have is an exponential curb of usefullnes past the standard 180 range.

The damage reduction is on an exponential curb. a few meters off won't be that bad, but once you get past 100 meters, you are looking at around 25% and bellow damage.

The biggest mistake I see people making with clan LRM's is constantly firing them at 20-40 meters out thinking they are pretty much LRM streakes. At that range, a small laser is probably going to do more damage then an LRM 20 launcher. You can shake up the opponents cockpit, but you are probably only going to shave 1% damage off of their armor at best.

REMEMBER this not just for when you are using clan LRM's, but also when you are fighting against them. I've had people REFUSE to charge up and hug LRM boat warhawks at sub 100 range because they where too afraid to get their paint scratched. All the mech can do at that range is scuff up your paint. Remember that and punish them for it.

#11 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

Also, clan energy weapons tend to be hotter than their IS counterparts., but with more range.

Also, they tend to have longer (or in some cases MUCH longer) beam duration, meaning that their damage is more spread out. Moreover, the ghost-heat scale on weapons is very different between Clans and the IS. For full info, go to http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale .

Short and quick version is:
  • Clan smalls and mediums (including pulses) are in the same group, and ghost-heat after 6. [IS mediums are also after 6, but they aren't grouped with smalls or pulses IIRC].
  • Clan larges (including pulses) are limited to 2, whereas IS are limited to 3 (newish change).
  • Clan autocannons and ultra-autocannons are generally limited to firing 2 at once, except for the C-(U)AC/2, which is ghost-heat free, and the C-(U)AC/20 which is limited to 1.
  • Clan streaks are limited to 3 of the two larger launchers (SSRM-4/SSRM-6), and 4 of the SSRM-2
If I got any values incorrect, feel free to correct me. I'm on hiatus and haven't really played much lately.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:49 PM

just to add to Iraqiwalker's excellent summery, most Clan Mechs do not have both Endo Steel Internals and Fero Fibrus Armor, and indeed some have neither, but as the structure and armor types are locked you cannot add or remove them.

#13 Endbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

Lots of good information. Thanks again all!

#14 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

Sorry I'm late to the party. Here's the video IraqiWalker mentioned.

#15 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostEndbringer, on 01 July 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Lots of good information. Thanks again all!

Welcome to the new player help section :) .

Everyone here is always on top of things, and loves helping folks out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users