7 replies to this topic

#1 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

The title says most of it.

Any and all weapon quirks (and frankly quirks in general) need to be capped at 25%.

50% cooldown on the AC/5 dragon, SRM-4 Huggin, LRM-10 hunchback and others is absolutely insane. (There are several others, some much less annoying, some more)

It would be bad enough if that was all, but then:

With module: 62.5% cooldown
With fast fire AND module: 67.5% cooldown.

That **** is insane. I'm all for giving the dragon, raven, and hunchback a bit of quirking since they're under-performers in some cases, but they didn't need this. No 'Mech needs this.

Doesn't anyone remember when quirks were supposed to be 5 for a tier 5 mech, 4 for a tier 4 mech, etc? When quirks were supposed to be minimal, just to make otherwise useless/terrible 'Mechs playable?

The power creep in this game is absurd. Once the initial 'Mechs were quirked, all new ones needed quirks, rebalancing happened and now everyone's getting quirked like nuts.

I wish quirks were completely wiped and started over, with the initial system PGI promised they would use. Beyond that, the quirks should only really apply to the weapons/playstyle that 'Mech is meant to use. No more blanket quirking, or quirks that apply to weapons that 'Mech was never known to use.

For example:
The quickdraw, besides being resized, ought to have a structure decrease quirk in it's legs. (It's feet actuators were very vulnerable in the lore), but it should get a smaller archetype, be shrinked down, and get bonus's to acceleration, deceleration, etc, etc.

No other quirks are really necessary.

(BTW, not saying the quickdraw is OP in any way. Love it to death, and it is sadly an under performer, actually, just using it as an example of how to use lore to quirk)

TL;DR: Wipe all quirks for all 'Mechs, use lore/stock loadouts to decide what quirks a 'Mech gets, cap quirks at 25%, limit the number of quirks based on tier.

Thanks for reading.

#2 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

I think a complete wipe is unnecessary. Just focus on the 'Mechs that exceeds 25% on a case-by-case basis. Then where necessary, even them out somehow.

Either way, I await the complete rebalance PGI intends to do.

Edited by Matthew Ace, 01 July 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#3 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostMatthew Ace, on 01 July 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

Either way, I await the complete rebalance PGI intends to do.

You mean old meta will be gone, new meta will arise :lol: Just forget it, use the most effective mech of a month, that's said it. There is no such a thing like "balance" or, contrary, "rebalance"

Edited by DuoAngel, 02 July 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#4 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:47 PM

I blame the Clans !! :wacko:

#5 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:56 PM

View PostNight Thastus, on 01 July 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

For example:
The quickdraw, besides being resized, ought to have a structure decrease quirk in it's legs. (It's feet actuators were very vulnerable in the lore), but it should get a smaller archetype, be shrinked down, and get bonus's to acceleration, deceleration, etc, etc.

I'd be fine with the Structure negative quirks, as long as its Movement Archetype is Small (not Medium, because majority of heavy mechs use Medium and Quickdraw is supposed to be better at climbing hills than them).

But if it'll only get the Medium archetype, the negative structure quirks are not only unnecessary, but would be extremely detrimental, because Quickdraw is extremely easy to leg (it has long fat legs as opposed to TT, where it had extremely thin, almost knife-like legs)

Though, i agree for the most part. Quirks shouldn't be a Clan vs IS balance bandaids, but they should add FLAVOR to mechs, to differentiate them a bit from the lot.

Why the hell is BAND-AlDS censored?

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 02 July 2015 - 10:57 PM.

#6 Wibble in a Clan can

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

Um- no. A blanket quirk cap will do what blanket weapon balances etc did- i.e. disadvantage certain already really $#@ mechs.

My experience exploiting 50% cooldown these mechs shows that generally (although my ping is in the 300 range) you need all the upgrades to make them competitive. ie, even at firing 2x faster- they still don't equal many of their peers.

A weapon firing 3x faster is VERY much more powerful (although not 3x more powerful as alpha counts for a lot). But if the mechs hardpoints make it that much worse then the rebalance is Justified.

Many Mech variants still suck even with a weapon firing 3x faster. Some mechs with these adjustments have become both fun and maybe even viable/unique

I actually think the AC5 Dragon and Huggin are examples of quirks used very well- turning very bad performers into playable- albeit very role specific/unique, battlemechs (Support roles with High DPS but low durability/endurance).

I agree 1 or 2 mechs have become slightly op/invalidate some other builds (I am looking at the LRM 10/15 mediums here) and could have cooldown adjusted to 40% faster (before skill and Module bonus. Although LRM's have had blanket nerfs with intro of more and more effective counters) -. But generally, I don't think PGI were oblivious to the maths involved in cooldown quirks.

Edited by WibbsScrapMerc, 03 July 2015 - 08:06 PM.

#7 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

I think no quirk should surpas 30%.
I think 30% is a generic sweet spot. things over 30% is usually insane...

I also think Armour quirkss and structure quirks should be considered more carefully because at the current bloody moment the battlemaster 2C, 85 ton IS mech, has more armour then a direwolf...

#8 MechWarrior849305

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:28 PM

View PostWibbsScrapMerc, on 03 July 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

I just... LOLed :lol:
DRG-1N and Huggin are "Slightly viable", but LRM medium mechs (I guess, you mean hunchie) "are a bit OP".
You definetly lack a bit of skill in this game, that's for sure :ph34r:

As per topic - 50% cooldown quirks are stupidly insane, magic 3x DPS - has to be gone. Period.

Edited by DuoAngel, 03 July 2015 - 10:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users