• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 July 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

Mediums: Literally all of them

This and this and this again. Everything in the medium class over 45 tons (I think the 'cadas 'jacks are in a good place) needs a major scale reduction.

View PostCarrioncrows, on 03 July 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

Yet another reason why clans have trashed MWO.

Gave you a +1 'cause you reminded me of my Battletech TT youth. We said the same thing about the clans, then. Guys who always wanted to play clan in TT were straight munchkins (you know, the type who won't play DnD unless he can bring his 30th-level, Excalibur-wielding, wizard/assassin/warrior/monk/cleric ). And the game went downhill from there.

At least in MWO an attempt is being made at balance, different but not munchkin. Wish fasa had tried that from the beginning. Maybe then I wouldn't have a knee-jerk dislike of all things clan. The concept ruined one of my favorite games, as far as I'm concerned.

#43 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

The Hunchback is okay, I think- not tooooo big for a medium. If the Cent were the same size as the Hunch and the Hunch were just a touch smaller, I would be okay with that.

#44 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 July 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

While Treb and Quickdraw do need rescales, the Treb is skinny compared to the Centurion...

But honestly, on the left is MWO's Centurion. On the right is the same Centurion rescaled to match the limb and body thickness of the concept art.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The pose it has in game always reminds me of sumo wrestlers. The concept art is so much better than what we got.

Edited by Grey Ghost, 03 July 2015 - 11:20 PM.

#45 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:17 PM

By "rescaling", I really wish that they just make the Cent and Awesome thinner (remodel them) and not necessarily smaller all over.

#46 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:21 PM

I like to believe, that only a few percent of people playing MWO visit these forums.

And the fact that the polls are buried somewhere, doesnt help when the normal attention span of a human is less than a goldfish ones nowadays

You know, UI 2.0 could have been an chance to integrate important polls like these into a HTML 5 platform In-Client, but noooo

#47 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:28 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 03 July 2015 - 11:15 PM, said:

[...] The concept art is so much better than what we got.

Which makes ZERO, absolutely ZERO sense by the way.

The 3D designers get not only the concept art we get to see, they get orthographic views to directly model the mech with.

So the concept artist either thought "eh, f**ck it" and made the Orthos way wider than the painted concept art we have, or it was a decision on purpose.

Either way, it shows you how much love went into that.

#48 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:32 PM

View PostIqfish, on 03 July 2015 - 11:28 PM, said:

So the concept artist either thought "eh, f**ck it" and made the Orthos way wider than the painted concept art we have, or it was a decision on purpose.

Either way, it shows you how much love went into that.

Alex himself draws the concept arts AND their orthos. He said it on the last 11th dev VLog.

#49 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:35 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 03 July 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

Alex himself draws the concept arts AND their orthos. He said it on the last 11th dev VLog.

Okay that makes even less sense then. If he drew the concept art, he had the exact shape of the mech in mind. Why did the model end up being so wide, then?

#50 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:43 PM

View PostIqfish, on 03 July 2015 - 11:35 PM, said:

Okay that makes even less sense then. If he drew the concept art, he had the exact shape of the mech in mind. Why did the model end up being so wide, then?

No idea, man. Sometimes I also wonder the same question. One possible explanation that I could think of is, that some internal changes must happen between the early release of concepts arts and the 3D modeling, like for example: "Oh, we forgot that players can mount LRM20 on Cheetah's shoulder pods, let's make them bigger!". But things like Enforcer's head must be simply lost in translation.

#51 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:45 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 July 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

I wish more people would vote to rescale the mechs that really, really need it, and have needed it for a long time.

Instead of voting for the mechs that are already pretty good, but would be great if they were just a little bit smaller.

Posted Image

Enjoy your smaller Novas, guys. I`ll just be in my Centurion, crying and listening to Linkin Park.

The one 'Mech that really really needs it the most is the Nova.
Sorry but happy crying, Alistair :(.

Even if in the end, it doesn't even matter ;)

Edited by Paigan, 03 July 2015 - 11:46 PM.

#52 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:57 PM

Perspective and comparison, the fact it was much bigger than the Hunchback definitely had a hand in it, but so did the weird angle at which the concept art have.
Here it is with scaled with other 50 tonners:
Posted Image

Both the Trenchbucket and Cent are scaled to 90% their current size, notice how the torso of the Cent is pretty thin, it is just those bulky shoulders that makes the end result wide.

#53 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:00 AM

according to Closed Beta Urban Legend (cannot confirm, was before I got in), the CN9 actually was skinnier, but they had some hitreg issue with the CT, and widened it.

Again, the veracity of such claim I cannot comment on, though the lack of any pictures of it in it's previous state make me leery.

#54 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

My votes were:
Lights: Kit Fox
Mediums: Treb, Nova, Kintaro
Heavies: Quickdraw, Grasshopper, Jagermech
Assaults: Awesome, Gargoyle, Zeus, Stalker

The main criteria for my votes was the survivability resulting from the mechs size compared to the other mechs of its class. That's why I voted Nova and Kintaro over Centurion. The Cent is still a tanky mech even with its size while the Kintaro and Nova gets obliterated very fast.

I dared to touch everybodys darling because I think the Jager is too small compared to the other heavies. The problem with the Cat is the ears after the refit. The rest of the mech is fine. Also it's the Stalker that is too small compared to the Cat not vise versa. So I choose the Quickdraw and Grasshopper over the Cat.

I think the Zeus and the Stalker are too small.

#55 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

View PostIqfish, on 03 July 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

I like to believe, that only a few percent of people playing MWO visit these forums.

And the fact that the polls are buried somewhere, doesnt help when the normal attention span of a human is less than a goldfish ones nowadays

You know, UI 2.0 could have been an chance to integrate important polls like these into a HTML 5 platform In-Client, but noooo

The poll link is in the client when you start the game, in the News section. BTW.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 July 2015 - 12:01 AM.

#56 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:02 AM

View PostNorman Kosh, on 04 July 2015 - 12:00 AM, said:

My votes were:
Lights: Kit Fox
Mediums: Treb, Nova, Kintaro
Heavies: Quickdraw, Grasshopper, Jagermech
Assaults: Awesome, Gargoyle, Zeus, Stalker

The main criteria for my votes was the survivability resulting from the mechs size compared to the other mechs of its class. That's why I voted Nova and Kintaro over Centurion. The Cent is still a tanky mech even with its size while the Kintaro and Nova gets obliterated very fast.

I dared to touch everybodys darling because I think the Jager is too small compared to the other heavies. The problem with the Cat is the ears after the refit. The rest of the mech is fine. Also it's the Stalker that is too small compared to the Cat not vise versa. So I choose the Quickdraw and Grasshopper over the Cat.

I think the Zeus and the Stalker are too small.

actually, the Cat is too big, and the Stalker is too small. Don't feel like pulling up all the volumetric work that was done on it, but no, the Cata is considerably too large.

Also, if you are pointing out mechs that are too small? King Crab.

#57 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:03 AM

Kit Fox is favourite Light for rescaling? REALLY???

Proof for Clans break everything!

:P

#58 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:04 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 04 July 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

Kit Fox is favourite Light for rescaling? REALLY???

Proof for Clans break everything!

:P

or that the kitfox is really poorly scaled?

#59 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:05 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 July 2015 - 12:02 AM, said:

Also, if you are pointing out mechs that are too small? King Crab.

Lolwut.....the Dire Whale is currently smaller than the King Crab.

#60 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:09 AM

View PostKoniving, on 03 July 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

While Treb and Quickdraw do need rescales, the Treb is skinny compared to the Centurion...

But honestly, on the left is MWO's Centurion. On the right is the same Centurion rescaled to match the limb and body thickness of the concept art.
Posted Image

Tweet this to Russ.
Spam his twitter with this!

P.S.
I voted for the Kit Fox and Raven for lights ( i don't pilot either of them, but they're obviously too large. And if Raven gets decreased in size, it might not need so many quirks )
Trebuchet and Centurion for mediums.
Quickdraw for Heavies (I am sort of surprised that Catapult is getting much more votes, but it's probably because it's a more popular mech. Biases and all)
Awesome and Stalker for Assaults (awesome too big, stalker too small)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 04 July 2015 - 12:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users