9 replies to this topic

#1 TristramTheRed

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:38 AM

I've been on MWO for about three or so months now, and I'm definitely all for it. I play almost every day, in the very least 5 days a week. I've been striving to improve, finally bringing my favored mech, the HBK-4P, KDR up to 1.46, and my overall up to 0.8. Insofar, I've come to learn that isn't the best around. I'm still proud of it, though, and am quite eager to improve.

That being said, an online game is only so fun when you're alone. I've had a look around (And by look around, I mean the Unit list over on House Davion's forum) and a lot of them either aren't what I'm looking for, or are inactive. From what I've gathered, I'd have more fun with Mercenaries anyway. The question here is, how would I go about finding a good Unit with people I can get along with?

The next issue, is without being in a Unit, how does one become acquainted with others? I've had a bit of banter with other pilots here and there, but nothing every really seems to stick out, and most people I've added on the side don't really tend to want to drop when/as much as myself. Is joining a unit the only way to really get acquainted with other pilots?

#2 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:44 AM

well apparently you choose the strongest and most active unit overall which agrees to accept you
that way you can have free event stuff and a few wins against pugs in cw and may be they will even carry you in the group queue on the ordinary maps

a typical sheep route

#3 TristramTheRed

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:51 AM

I already inadvertently took one sheep route by signing on with House Davion, and that was only because I liked the icon. Didnt even realize they were fairly large in territory. I don't really care if they're the strongest, active is always good though.

That's all a little obvious though, I'm more interested in knowing where I have to go to even find units to join

#4 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

You could try getting on the Davion TS server. You can find the address on the Davion subforum. A lot of units will let you tag along on drops and hang out even if you aren't a member. You can also check out the community run events forum and see what people are doing. I know there are a couple Davion groups that do Wednesday Night Warfare every Wednesday at 8pm ET. And, you an hang out here on the forums and banter with all of us friendly people as well ;)

Edited by 3xnihilo, 04 July 2015 - 03:42 AM.

#5 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:12 AM

Well, the easiest way is to simply hop on the comms, usually TS3 server and try and play with the folks there. See what's the people there about and what their behavior and performance, and what is their active time frame is.

If none of the presumed units has much to offer to you, then consider changing your allegiance. This weekend is especially convenient to make such a choice, since you can look up the Tournament leaderboard standings for either Factions and see which units are more or less active for youself.

Good luck!

Edited by DivineEvil, 04 July 2015 - 04:12 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:47 AM

You can communicate with others on the forum here (there's an entire recruitment thread; one fan-made section of it is called Hiring Hall is where you post your info and let units know you're available for "hire.")

Back in the day, I met people by talking in chat in game. I'd play, and sometimes say stuff. Bit of role play here. Bit of comments there.

Sometimes I'd role play a bit, claiming some artifact on the map for whatever faction I felt like being at the time and warn the other team that they will be destroyed if they approach it.
Sometimes I'd say things like "For every man there is a cause that he would gladly die for. Today is your day to die. What is your cause?" or as I'm about to kill someone who hasn't got a chance, "Pardon me, do you have any grey poupon?"
Then there are times when I'd just play and people would say "Wow!" or "You're good," or "You rekt!" And I'd respond.

Like this one.
Posted Image
Then I'd respond and invite people to join me (or get invited), and add said people and group up. Pretty much how the first units started (beyond bringing your own friends).

Reach out, talk to people. Contact people. Enjoy. ^_^

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

as long as you have a contract with House Davion you will have trouble joining a unit, to join a unit you must ether not have a contract or (apparently) have the exact same contract as the unit, so it you took a permanent contract you will have to ether break the contract or join a unit with a permanent Davion contract.

I do not know for sure (having never tried it) but I think breaking a permanent contract is about 1,500,000 cbills.

if you are after being a Davion Loyalest then look for units here:
http://mwomercs.com/...8-house-davion/

otherwise look in the various subforums here:
http://mwomercs.com/...munity-warfare/

I strongly recommend visiting a variety of units recruitment threads and websites as well as possibly trying to speak with them before making any commitment, you can always leave a unit if you do not fit in but I strongly advise you to try to find a good fit first time (e.g. no use joining a unit who play mostly at a time you are not available, and if you want to be a casual player you do not want to join an ultra competitive unit).

lastly a shameless plug,
I am part of a unit with about 150 players from all over the world, although about half are from North Americia.

we have skill levels ranging from beginners to highly competitive, there are training sessions regularly and we encourage players to join a Lance and practice with the lance at least once a week. there are usualy at least a few players on teamspeek.

the Praetorian Legion are a Merc unit who are loyal to Davion, we do take contracts with other factions but do not take actions against Davion,
if this appeals to you follow the link in my signature.

#8 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

I consider myself an active player (possibly too much now that summer's come along) but I'm not in a unit (I don't have the mental capacity to commit to unit times) (and I don't have a mic). I've found myself seeing several names being dropped with or against me often; my guess is that I've hit my plateau for the ELO of my skill level. I'm not "friends" with them but I acknowledge them when we start getting several games together.

#9 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

The Faction Merc Corps sub-forum is a great place to start when searching for a Unit to join up with. It is home to many competitive and casual groups, all very friendly. My suggestion would be to look there! Good luck in your search.

#10 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

My suggestion, (and what I did,) would be to move about, try each faction, and there in you might end up dropping with a group you really mesh with. (Also lets you nab rank 2 in every faction, for free mechbays.)

I, for instance, found I really enjoyed the Steiner/Falcon border, and spent most of my time there, often dropping with units, and grouping up with them long before I accepted an old offer and asked to join up. You don't have to join a unit to befriend 'em and drop with 'em. Just ask to group up if they're dropping again.

~Leone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users