Re-Scales? The Last Mech Model Fix Was Never Even Finished.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Wendigo Vendetta

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

So, re-scaling of mechs to accurately represent their size.... I seem to remember the move to make mech models accurately represent the equipment on them, almost two years ago.

Now, so long after that push was inexplicably abandoned mid-stream for no particular reason, I look at my Commando and Cicada. Those models still look like their beta/release era versions no matter how you change their configurations (except that rendering of AMS systems)... they are dinosaur mech models in a modernized game.

So, why are we even bothering? Will these people finish what they start? Is this just something to mollify the mob? Will it be abandoned too the first time a shiny squirrel runs by?

Mark my words: they will get two done, then they will get distracted and abandon the move to modernize the mech models.

If they want to prove they are serious, maybe they can finish the last great refurbishing.

Edited by Wendigo Vendetta, 04 July 2015 - 09:19 AM.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostWendigo Vendetta, on 04 July 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

So, re-scaling of mechs to accurately represent their size.... I seem to remember the move to make mech models accurately represent the equipment on them, almost two years ago.

Now, so long after that push was inexplicably abandoned mid-stream for no particular reason, I look at my Commando and Cicada. Those models still look like their beta/release era versions no matter how you change their configurations (except that rendering of AMS systems)... they are dinosaur mech models in a modernized game.

So, why are we even bothering? Will these people finish what they start? Is this just something to mollify the mob? Will it be abandoned too the first time a shiny squirrel runs by?

Mark my words: they will get two done, then they will get distracted and abandon the move to modernize the mech models.

If they want to prove they are serious, maybe they can finish the last great refurbishing.

Maybe you should pay more attention to the actual announcements, town hall and command chair posts. They are still setting them up with dynamic geometry, a few here, a few there.

Or, you can rage incoherently and inaccurately.

#3 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:23 AM

What is reading. What is search feature.

#4 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

Some people really do just want to watch the world burn it seems.

#5 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 July 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

Maybe you should pay more attention to the actual announcements, town hall and command chair posts. They are still setting them up with dynamic geometry, a few here, a few there.

Or, you can rage incoherently and inaccurately.

Aren't we getting everything except the Stalker on Tuesday?

#6 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:05 PM

The info is literally right in the Commander Chair... It's not even bumped down from the most recent post.
Posted Image

Mechlab retrofits - Retrofits are complete for the Awesome, Commando, Dragon and Cicada - also the Centurion gets some minor changes to the look of its main right arm weapon.

Source: http://mwomercs.com/...71#entry4473871
Under July 7th section.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 04 July 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

View PostRavensScar, on 04 July 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

Aren't we getting everything except the Stalker on Tuesday?

something like that, yeah. Don't remember if the CMD made the list, but yeah.

#8 OCZ650W

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

The size of the 'mech is more important in terms of game play so rescaling is probably more important than dynamic weapon models anyway, especially when some of that dynamic modelling produces very ugly 'mechs.

#9 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 04 July 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

What is reading. What is search feature.

It's Lostech.

#10 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

What is the proper scale? Where is the source?

#11 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

They should just auto scale all mechs by volume and get it over with over night.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 04 July 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

What is the proper scale? Where is the source?

Basic volumetric similarity. Military machines have little wasted space, so for instance the old Russ gem "the catapults ears are mostly empty space" doesn't hold water.

While by no means perfect, or identical, for gaming purposes, volumetric scaling based on the Internal Structure with overall standardized weapon sizes. Mind you, I would prefer not to have the same exact "box" weapon on every mech (except the the Omnis, which are supposed to be exactly that), so each weapon should probably have several variant models but of consistent scale. And yes, a Locust with a PPC in the arm, should almost look like it's ready to tip over.

Thus, no, a Stalker should not be smaller than a Catapult, and all it takes is some basic common sense when one compares a Centurion to a Hunchback.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users