• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 05 July 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

Any news on it's engine cap?

Probably the same as any other Thud, methinks.

#62 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 July 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

Every time I see a player playing with Arm Lock on, I immediately slot him into the "COD kiddy pool" crowd. I get the whole convergence issue when you're running several identical weapons, but that's just more reason to hate those mechs. Choosing to give up arm articulation is a crime in this game.

I have arm lock on by default and use left-CTRL to unlock it on the fly when I need the arm articulation. (Most common need? To shoot down a drone.)

See, the thing is, 95% of the time I don't need it, and since a lot of my shots are snapshots I don't want to have to worry about the torso keeping up with the arms for convergence.

Having arm lock off also means that you need triggers configured for arms vs torsos in addition to weapon type. I have 3 triggers - LMB, RMB, CMB. I have to set them up by weapon type, range, or height/side for best use so really can't make use of arm-only triggers anyway.

And lastly, having arm lock off means you're more likely to spread damage as the reticles converge. I want my shots to be as precise as possible, because my bad aim is going to do all the damage spreading that I can handle.

#63 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:07 AM

View PostFupDup, on 04 July 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

It looks mean on-paper, but in practice it might end up like this:

Posted Image

To be fair, this is actually a totally canon hero mech with a stock config.

Talk about putting my comics to shame.
I wish I could draw.

#64 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 July 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

so 6 Mediums with 2 ERLL on top?
TDR-5S-T Thunderbolt Tallman The personal ‘Mech of Bremond DMM commander Leftenant-General Mary Tallman during the DCMS's Third Succession War invasion of Galtor III, only the large laser remains, with the rest of the standard weaponry replaced with a brace of four medium lasers in each side torso. The remaining weight and space is devoted to eight additional heat sinks.

#65 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

View Postchewie, on 05 July 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

TDR-5S-T Thunderbolt Tallman The personal ‘Mech of Bremond DMM commander Leftenant-General Mary Tallman during the DCMS's Third Succession War invasion of Galtor III, only the large laser remains, with the rest of the standard weaponry replaced with a brace of four medium lasers in each side torso. The remaining weight and space is devoted to eight additional heat sinks.

Am aware of the Tallman. Was postulating the meta build.

#66 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:57 PM

View Post627, on 05 July 2015 - 12:13 AM, said:

all I can think atm is poor jester. and poor catapults. stuck with 6 Hardpoints, where every other 65ton has at least 7. Now we have 9E here lol.

I don't have a problem. In all Catapults thus far I do a very good job destroying enemy mechs.
Rather it be LRM's, SRM's, PPC's, or Large lasers.

It feels like a Summoner kinda but better.

~proud catapult player since 2013 1998 -

#67 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 05 July 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

Quirks is the only thing making Thunderbolts good right now, so if this thing has bad quirks it's going to be pretty weaksauce despite having 9E.

Several clan mechs can already get 9E and more, it's not a big deal and often not even worth using. What are you going to put there? 9 medpulse with much worse quirks than the 5SS? That's just going to be hotter and slower with less range for a slightly nastier alpha.

SPLs?, well yeah that might be fun but hardly competitive. You can't go higher than standard 315 which isn't going to cut it for extreme close range focus.

Mixing in larger lasers? Maybe, but this is no xl friendly mech so you only have so much weight to play with or go super squishy while still being capped to 315 engine.

You can mix medium and medium pulse, or medium and large like the stock variant, which is likely the best bet, but you have lighter mechs like the BJ-1X doing that very well already while running like the wind.

We already have the Grasshopper 5P with 8E and jj, and the black knight with 9E is coming too. Both looks better in the absence of quirks.

So as far as I can see this thunderbolt needs quirks to be good just as much as the current variants do.

Just saying... Before quirks I had no problems running the thunderbolt. Got builds for skirmisher, brawler, sniper, etc. using weapons like PPC's, ER PPC's, Large lasers, LRM 10's, LRM 20's, SRM 6's, SSRM 2's, etc. most of the cannon-weapons so to say across my time. and unlike most people back then who are to scared to use XL engines, I used an XL engine on all my thunderbolts to great effect. (Note: I found this mech very XL friendly, especially after the quirks that makes the side torsos nearly bursting with structure and/or armour quirks)

And comparing to the clans isn't the best idea, because the clan mechs of the weight class that can spam those weapons (Timberwolf/ stormcrow) gets like 30%+ cooldown and duration nerfs to an already longer duration weapon. While the others (Summoner, which averages 3-4 hardpoints / weapons on most popular builds, Mad Dog, typically only 4E used on energy heavy builds, etc) can't spam energy that well or struggle to even do the easy copy paste meta build for the clan mechs.

... however if you are comparing the Thunderbolt to the NOVA PRIME and think the Nova is better... I think we got more problems at our hands then Thunderbolt Tallman quirks...

Also the thing i find the funniest is the Summoner (clan "superior" counterpart to the Thunderbolt...) in MW: O is worse then the thunderbolt and all but missile builds is better on the thunderbolt..

What else was I going to say... oh yea! I think this mech will be very good ,even without a single weapon quirk. Already got my money out to buy this thing when it comes out AND already got a smurfy mimic build for a stock+ build for it.

#68 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

2x ERPPC plus 7 small lasers, maybe split up between pulse and not or just pulse, depends how many DHS I want to put on it. Arm lock. As big an engine as I can fit and still run out of crit space before tonnage. If it is too hot, ERPPC goes to PPC, SL cover the min range anyway.

OR

triple LPL and whatever else fits after for backup. Prolly SL again.

#69 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 July 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

Am aware of the Tallman. Was postulating the meta build.

Screw the meta build. If I ever pick one up it's going to become the party Thud. STD315, endo, 20 Dubs, 9 SPLs.

#70 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 05 July 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

Quirks is the only thing making Thunderbolts good right now, so if this thing has bad quirks it's going to be pretty weaksauce despite having 9E.

Several clan mechs can already get 9E and more, it's not a big deal and often not even worth using. What are you going to put there? 9 medpulse with much worse quirks than the 5SS? That's just going to be hotter and slower with less range for a slightly nastier alpha.

SPLs?, well yeah that might be fun but hardly competitive. You can't go higher than standard 315 which isn't going to cut it for extreme close range focus.

Mixing in larger lasers? Maybe, but this is no xl friendly mech so you only have so much weight to play with or go super squishy while still being capped to 315 engine.

You can mix medium and medium pulse, or medium and large like the stock variant, which is likely the best bet, but you have lighter mechs like the BJ-1X doing that very well already while running like the wind.

We already have the Grasshopper 5P with 8E and jj, and the black knight with 9E is coming too. Both looks better in the absence of quirks.

So as far as I can see this thunderbolt needs quirks to be good just as much as the current variants do.

Yeah, but Clan mechs get ghost heat beyond 6 MPL, Innersphere does not. 9xMPL would just make your mech explode as a clanner.

9xMPL can work on a Hunchback-4P. Even with minimal quirks, this will have enough tonnage to make 9xMPL usable no problem...

#71 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 05 July 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

Screw the meta build. If I ever pick one up it's going to become the party Thud. STD315, endo, 20 Dubs, 9 SPLs.

That's going to be gross to deal with. Im gonna do it.

#72 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:00 PM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 05 July 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

That's going to be gross to deal with. Im gonna do it.

sure. At 9meters.

#73 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostBurktross, on 05 July 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

Talk about putting my comics to shame.
I wish I could draw.

Dude, your Comics are also hilarious and funny.
It's just a different cosmetic art style so to say and that doesn't hinder your work- but add to it.

(trust me, I'm in art school and studied art philosophy. I know my art)

View PostMoldur, on 05 July 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

Yeah, but Clan mechs get ghost heat beyond 6 MPL, Innersphere does not. 9xMPL would just make your mech explode as a clanner.

9xMPL can work on a Hunchback-4P. Even with minimal quirks, this will have enough tonnage to make 9xMPL usable no problem...

On top of that: Clans have linked ghost heat with the ER and Pulse variations of the Small and medium laser.

Meaning you can't even switch the lasers around to doge ghost heat unless it's a ER large laser or Large pulse laser (which ghost heat at 3 and over...)

This thing will have a scary alpha >.>

To bad the build I want to do on it is the stock load out... aka ghost heat if I fire all 8 medium lasers...

#74 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

Yeah but the 5SS with its quirks will certainly out range it and out brawl it due to being able to sustain fire more effectively.

#75 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:30 PM

I was hoping that the Thunderbolt Hero would have had at least 1 missile hardpoint....

#76 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 05 July 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Dude, your Comics are also hilarious and funny.
It's just a different cosmetic art style so to say and that doesn't hinder your work- but add to it.

(trust me, I'm in art school and studied art philosophy. I know my art)

Posted Image
Oh... you...

#77 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 05 July 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

Yeah but the 5SS with its quirks will certainly out range it and out brawl it due to being able to sustain fire more effectively.

True, but the fact that it can even equip 9E gives it potential as an alpha warrior. The more viable build I can see is 2 or 3 ER-LL for the high mounts, and the rest being ML and MPL. It's all speculation since I guess the quirks will decide which lasers people can boat most effectively.

#78 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:09 PM

Without some decent quirks (think 10-15% neg heat gen, 10% range, 10% mobility etc) the Tallman, Tbolt Hero will be a dud. These days most XL engined heavy, assaults mechs are fodder to Clanner mechs of similar weight, so it will need enough quirks to compete when carrying a Std engine.

Edited by Ace Selin, 05 July 2015 - 08:11 PM.

#79 Zfailboat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Dear Player

due to the fact that we gave clans a Laser vomit Ebon Jag - which was to make up for the slightly nurfed laser vomit Timberwolf - we have decided that we need IS players to be able to purchase a counter - laser vomit Thunderbolt.

Of course its hardpoints are worse - lasers are worse - has no jump jets and more weight restrictions. but don't worry - we wont release this one for c-bills unlike the clan one. that way only a limited number of players will get the worse of the 2 mechs - just to help ensure balance.

Sincerely - PGI No clue.

#80 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

9x IS MPLs =
18 tons
36 heat to alpha
54 damage
220m (242m w/mod)
0.6 burn

6x C MPLs =
12 tons
36 heat to alpha
48 damage
363m (370m w/mod)
0.85 burn

You don't need 9 CMPLs to get near 50 damage.

Sure, you lose a tiny touch of burn time and heat efficiency - but you also also gain SIX TONS for your build, and +50% more range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users