So, It's Been A Month Now. Where'd All The Forum Rage Over The New Mechlab Go?

86 replies to this topic

#21 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:26 PM

Another example:

Just like the double click to remove item in the expanded view. A double click to equip is also needed... Or... a drag and drop feature that does not require you to drop the item right on that single empty tiny crit space in a component. A drop anywhere on the component should equip the item.

Edited by Navid A1, 04 July 2015 - 04:26 PM.

#22 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:26 PM

The mech select is garbage. Plain and simple. The racket seems to have dissipated just as Russ mentioned there would be major improvements to the UI coming soon. Every patch that doesn't contain improvements will probably spawn more racket.

#23 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 July 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Apathy take over?

Posted Image

Nobody's listening and it's boring to talk about. May as well discuss something that is more fun to talk about.

#24 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

View PostThe Mechromancer, on 04 July 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

expanded tab wont work on my monitor... stupid feature

More like Stupid Monitor, buy a real one they are about $100 bucks. I'm between jobs and could go buy one tomorrow, might be eating ramen for a few weeks but I could still go out and buy one.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 04 July 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

I was just saying that complaining on the forums can only last for a limited time.

That is demonstrably untrue in these forums. The same QQ threads have been going for mos tof 3 years, fro the same QQ people.

#26 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 July 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

That is demonstrably untrue in these forums. The same QQ threads have been going for mos tof 3 years, fro the same QQ people.

I haven't written enough buff Gargles threads, clearly.

:P

#27 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 04 July 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

I know.
I was just saying that complaining on the forums can only last for a limited time.
A bad design is still bad... even after you get used to it.

Lol I'd think you where new here.

#28 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

I'm still waiting on this....

Posted Image

Until then.... I will QQ forever on the Mechlab

#29 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:09 PM

The Mechlab itself is ok, in some way better though the Fonts are to small for 1920x1200.
I dont like the Mech Select screen, i have never more than 16 Mechs and liked the direct and more immersive "Mech Garage" approach more than the current Mech Catalogue + more Clicks way.

It would be nice to increase the font size and offer a Mech Garage + less Clicks with a sidecar Catalogue Option for those who own hundreds of Mechs.

And either get rid of Quirks or display the Quirks somewhere in the Mechlab, Mech Garage, Mech Catalogue.

Pretty Please :)

Edited by Thorqemada, 04 July 2015 - 08:12 PM.

#30 Darlith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

Apathy take over? Or did most people just get used to it and move on already?

Obviously, it's not perfect. But I do find it very quick and easy to use, personally.

But at this point, now that initial shock is gone, and familiarity with the new interface has set in, what are the major issues or features lacking? What have general opinions tuned to at this point?

Most probably just got tired of complaining about something that will either be fixed, or not, whenever PGI gets around to it.

Overall I like the mechlab but the issues I do have with it are...

1 - That damn mechselect screen. I preferred the grid. I'd love to have both be an option to use so everyone is happy. Also it shouldn't take an extra click to get to clan mechs if I own both.
2 - Why aren't engines sorted by weight as the default? Generally if I am looking for an engine for a build I scroll down the list for the biggest one that I can fit by weight.
3 - For some reason the cockpit item screen runs way way slower than before.
4 - I miss the old mouseover to see the quirks on mechs, wish it showed it in the mech overview when selecting them

#31 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:18 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 July 2015 - 07:52 PM, said:

Lol I'd think you where new here.

I think our QQing age has already passed. I myself can not QQ more that a month anymore :unsure:
after that, its like f* it.... Its either gonna be fixed, or not... to hell with it.

#32 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

Obviously, it's not perfect. But I do find it very quick and easy to use, personally.

But at this point, now that initial shock is gone, and familiarity with the new interface has set in, what are the major issues or features lacking? What have general opinions tuned to at this point?

IIC 'Mechs announced, new things to complain about.

#33 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

I still think there's some serious matters that need to be attended to.

The new colours are ugly and the new icons aren't as good as the old ones.

Can't double-click to add equipment and modules.

You have to aim exactly at the slot you want to put things in - you can't just drag items into the general area. It'll either not go, or it'll replace something you already have in that slot. It's really aggravating.

The dropdown menus don't remember states. You have to open the "Equipment" menu to equip heatsinks everytime you come back, even though there's only one single item under that category.

Modules are a lot harder to find without the thumbnails. The icon layout was much better for them - the icon sizes just needed to be reduced. I wish they brought this back.

#34 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:40 PM

new mechlab is fine, although I'm not really sure what the point of the column view is (or why it's the default)

new mech select is laughably bad

#35 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:16 AM

My only issue is the way they dumped it on us without explanation or even just a quick overview. A 5 or 10 minute vid explaining the new features and functions would have gone a long way to calm the rage.

PGI treats its audience like mushrooms.

#36 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:24 AM

It's faster. Subjective whining about fit and feel is irrelevant when it is objectively better than the previous mechlab. The mech select is kind of stupid. What possible reason is there for me to really want to segregate my mechs by faction. Why only use 1/5th of the screen. Why not show quirks? That all said, it still only takes about 3 seconds tops to find and select the mech I'm looking for.

Edited by Moldur, 05 July 2015 - 12:24 AM.

#37 Myray

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:28 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 04 July 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

Simple answer... people actually tried it and then learned to use it - ran out of stuff to whine about.

or just simply play less like me i just hope the new mech selection on 4. august erase the flaws

#38 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:01 AM

Only issues I had with it were the two separate Mech Selection screens. One lets you select nonviable drop Mechs, and the other one doesn't. Took me a bit to figure out I had to be in the Mechlab to select my Mechs that didn't have an engine etc.

Other problem was lack of a quicker select screen more like the old one with quirk info etc, but I do like the newer filters & module info.

The rest was gravy to me. ;)

Edited by Grey Ghost, 05 July 2015 - 01:02 AM.

#39 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:29 AM

Its still a major nuisance for low res players. The column view is killing me and makes changing any loadouts a chore. That being said, I have 4 things to point out that seem to never change.

1. I got used to PGI making choices that make the game worse, no matter what it is, whether balance or something as simple as the UI. Someone with very poor logic is calling the shots and it shows.

2. I don't really care about the game anymore, I'm a free player, so I kinda run with what I get. I've lost all hope of this game being anything more then a glorified beta.

3. Whatever the developers do, it happens at a really really really slow pace, even simple balance changes take months to implement, let alone bigger issues and upgrades to the game.

3. Whoever made the initial core gameplay got something very right. With all its troubles the game is still somehow fun to play so I stick around. There's literally no game like it. Its just huge amounts of fun which overrides all the bad stuff in the end.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 05 July 2015 - 02:32 AM.

#40 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:02 AM

I still hate the fact that I lost the wall of mech who was much more easy to use without needing to click on "insert mech name here" in order to actually see it while before I only had to scroll down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users