So, It's Been A Month Now. Where'd All The Forum Rage Over The New Mechlab Go?

86 replies to this topic

#41 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:45 AM

Yup, mech select is still nuts. I am unable to understand how any person could of thought that was a good idea when designing it. Maybe if they publicly tested it early enough to actually change it, we would have been fine. Plenty of opportunity to get it right this time and all will be forgiven, but they have no excuses anymore and I didnt buy IIC mechs partially bc of this.

The reason we needed to rage so hard about the mech select screen early was bc PGI thought it was a minor issue and that we would get used to it. They have a tendency to delay what they think are minor issues.

#42 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

1) Still hate current mech select. Too cumbersome, prefered grid view. A toggle for grid view would be appreciated and should be in game to begin with.

2) Expanded view should be the standard option, and should be optimized for smaller resolutions.
2.5) on a related note, UI resizing should be in game, when I run the game downsampled, the text is so small I can't read anything. This needs to be adjustable.
2.75)Related Related note, Expanded view blocks the mech model... this is a slight problem in seeing where weaponry get's placed when.

3)I do find myself a bit confused at times still yet in regards to quirk locations and the like. Quirks should be "at a glance" information.

4)Camo choice screen still bugs out at times with the wrong camo options in the select bar.

For the most part, I've gotten used to the current implimentation of the mechlab. But that's not saying much, I got used to UI 1.0, then 2.0, and now 2.5... it's not hard to get used to a UI, even a broken, hard to use one. It just takes some time.

#43 Cpt Jason McCarthy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:44 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 July 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Apathy take over? Or did most people just get used to it and move on already?

Obviously, it's not perfect. But I do find it very quick and easy to use, personally.

But at this point, now that initial shock is gone, and familiarity with the new interface has set in, what are the major issues or features lacking? What have general opinions tuned to at this point?

I just stopped playing and will come back to farm xp my cheetahs, the mech select menu make it tedious to play different mechs. So I just stopped playing this game ... My Exe and EJ can take dust I don't care.
I have 400 games on Steam and GTA V is pretty cool you know ^^.

#44 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:47 AM

I personally love the new 'Mechlab, though I do wish the select 'Mech screen had a grid option that dynamically showed you're mechs with their current loadout/paint. The rest is really nice, actually.

#45 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:48 AM

Obviously, it's not perfect. But I do find it very quick and easy to use, personally.

But at this point, now that initial shock is gone, and familiarity with the new interface has set in, what are the major issues or features lacking? What have general opinions tuned to at this point?

since russ has been saying they will do something with mech select, well its not bad is it?

#46 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

I like the new mechlab, building mechs and swapping/finding modules is far easier.

I still miss the tile select screen though, and would really like a 4-8 mech quick select on the main screen.

#47 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:06 AM

Could be coincidence, but I've only played 4-5 battles since that patch. Apathy, summer and MWO is loosing its appeal I am now the very last one of about 10 who started. (check my start date)
I'll pop in, hopeful, play a CW, grab a pug battle...'bout it

View PostCreovex, on 05 July 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

Funniest statement of all time..... Batman crashed and burned so hard they had to pull it off Steam...

yup. ha ha ha..I mean, except the whole "your audience left to play better games until they actually fix something" part rings true. I've gone back to WOT and started messing around with Arma III

#48 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:08 AM

it still sucks but who listens

#49 jackal40

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:27 AM

Pretty much apathy. Moved on to other games and check back every week or so to see when things might get fixed.

Sadly, my biggest irritation isn't on the road map (true Battle Tech universe feel), so I doubt I'll bother much. The group I played with have moved on - so until something truly inspiring happens, guess we'll be waiting and watching

#50 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

I don’t like it much but I did not complain about the last UI and it’s the same with this one

I just keep a magnifying glass next to my keyboard

You just learn to deal with stuff

#51 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

I find the CW Select Mech style incredibly annoying, I don't like using it in CW, as you have to go out of CW mode to check your builds, and in standard mechbay mode, its even worse, because it uses a different method as the skill panel at least the old style of UI.2 was the same .

Still the biggest issue is that the x2 XP bonus isn't given on the skill tree but on the mech select, so you have to keep swapping out to check which mech you still haven't dropped in, when you own more than 200 mechs it can make your head spin at times.

Drag and drop is a big plus, but I think I would have called it a day, if I couldn't have expanded the look though.

It should have come with a Pinned how to use thread showing where everything is, some damn vlog isn't of any use, as if the persons voice is annoying or dreary you switch of and then it off.

This is its biggest issue and one that PGI don't seem to care about, and that is lack of instructions, its been there since day one, not just this latest UI, they expect the customer, to work it out as they go along, how long did it take people to find out where the quirks button was, or other less obvious parts.

Sad thing of all is that even this 'improved' Mech bay, is still vastly inferior to the 1.5 place holder, for ease of use, it was plain easy to gather the info quickly and use with a minimum of clicks, the only down side to it was finding your mech if you had a lot of them.

But its not good enough for the present thoughts on what a UI should be, its got to be as colourful and e-tarded as Win8, and in this PGI do succeed.

I think you'll find that people stopped complaining though for all the things you mentioned

Edited by Cathy, 05 July 2015 - 07:31 AM.

#52 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 05 July 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

I still hate the fact that I lost the wall of mech who was much more easy to use without needing to click on "insert mech name here" in order to actually see it while before I only had to scroll down.

Im happy that we lost the wall of mech. Im happy that when i chose a variant i get the hero the champ and vanila variant together. Im happy that my IS and Clan mech are not together. You can sort by CLASS instead of chassis and then see your old wall of mech but yes you will have to use a few mouse click. Why do you need to see hundreads of mech all at once? It's clean right now, i wish i can keep it that way. Im also happy that i don't have to scroll down all the std to get to xl.

It's not all perfect for me either.

I wish mechs were sorted by Tonnage and not name,

i wish ALL Previous selection were remembered. So people who dont like the way it is now could just change it and have it done for the next game.

I wish when i went to the skill window it would take me automaticaly to the mech i have selected.

I wish all items were sorted by tonnage by default.

Edited by DAYLEET, 05 July 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#53 NephyrisX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

People stopped complaining because they finally let go of their whininess and adapt to the new system.

#54 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

Other than the fact that I have to change my screen res everytime I want to use the mechlab and then change it back to play (lest I incur a severe fps drop) I have no complaints.

Except for the changing of screen resolution
All the time
over and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over again

It's great! :blink:

#55 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

didn't OP hear New River City is coming....

#56 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

well, the criticism will always be strongest at start because most ppl will write it soon after they have had their experience with it. No reason to write the same things over and over and over again. But mechlab while still better than the old one(old one sucked sooo bad so its not too much of a compliment) is still lacking.

things that annoy me so far
1. For example when you drag an item in to a space where another item(weapon/ammo etc) exists it removes that first item when you put it there. Even if that section has enough crit for both those items. This requires you to have very precise mouse movement when managing ammo etc 1 crit items, which reduces building speed alot. (SSW is still faster to build than this mechlab)
2. Mech selection is horrible, needs total redesign
3. item selection moves to the left when selecting modules which is incredibly annoying
4. you dont see how much ammo you carry anywhere or the number of shots those weapons have. mental math each time lol. Also no total weapon list. Helps when you carry like 7-8 of same type lasers.

anyways these were the major issues for me and i'd guess for most of us. But still its not that horrible, it never warranted a rage or anything.

Edited by Lordhammer, 05 July 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#57 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

The problems are numerous and have been exhaustively catalogued in any number of feedback threads.

We await the next update with baited breath yet little hope.

After the update we can start the whole merry go round all over again...

#58 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

is every one forgetting the most wrong disgusting thing to happen with the new ui?

more clicking thats right, i went there. can you believe in this day and age that you hav

to click up to and exceeding 5 extra times to do the same ******* thing! are we animals!

shame on pgi and shame on all of you for playing this trash. may god hav mercy on your souls.

#59 ShadowWolf Kell

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

I haven't played in awhile but it wasn't as much of a shock as UI 2.0 was. It works. It's neither sleek nor elegant but it's functional. I'm too spoiled by Elite Dangerous with an Occulus Rift.

#60 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

Love the new lab. Needs work, obviously, but never had an issue with it. The things that needed work most (resolution and mech select--not sure here) are getting attention.

The "ERMAGHERD they switched from Equal to Splenda" crowd calmed down long enough to learn it and implement workarounds as needed until future updates.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users