So, It's Been A Month Now. Where'd All The Forum Rage Over The New Mechlab Go?

86 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

Apathy take over? Or did most people just get used to it and move on already?

Obviously, it's not perfect. But I do find it very quick and easy to use, personally.

But at this point, now that initial shock is gone, and familiarity with the new interface has set in, what are the major issues or features lacking? What have general opinions tuned to at this point?

#2 JohnnyWayne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

All the [Redacted] found the expanded tab I guess.

Well... To be honest I showed it to friends myself they never had a clue it was there. It should be standard view.

Edited by GM Patience, 06 July 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#3 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

I still find it annoying, manageable but annoying when choosing a new mech.

#4 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 04 July 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Well... To be honest I showed it to friends myself they never had a clue it was there. It should be standard view.

1 - Tell that to folks stuck at lower resolutions than the expanded view supports (I was one of them, but have since upgraded)

2 - Expanded view is going to be possible at 720p soon so at least that part of the criticism will be obsolete soon.

3 - The other big item on the complaining (mech select IIRC) is already said to be undergoing major work, so... waiting to see what PGI does with it?

#5 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

OMG lol, once you find the expanded tab that Mechlab is actually a breeze to use, the mech selection is no big deal once you can actually quickly change a mech load out....

And honestly, all those tabs for the mech select are not that bad.....I almost find it easier then sifting through a row of mechs trying to find the right mech.....kinda what I always wanted.....several tabs that really breaks down the mechs by class, clan/IS, owned, trial....yeah.

#6 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...august-roadmap/

They did say in the roadmap they would fix the mechselect so thats good. Really once thats fixed, i got no complaints, its perfect (given they don't break anything in the process)

August 4th

New Mech Select Screen - we are targeting this patch for a new Mech Select screen that incorporates all player feedback and we feel will be another big upgrade to the front end experience in MWO.

Edited by Tennex, 04 July 2015 - 02:41 PM.

#7 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

overal a big inprovement but the mech select was way better before, also i used to take a engine out ore make a mech not batle ready when i took the modulles out, that way i could easely see witch mechs had modules on and swap them ... now i have to select every single tap/ mech ....

#8 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'm so freaking stoked to see my mech icons actually represent what my mechs looks like. August can't come soon enough. It was my only grip. And having suggesting it 2 years ago, it makes me very happy to finally see it come to fruition.

Selecting a mech is admittedly still a little clickly, but the amount of clicks we save with the new expanded view is so much better.

But it's getting fixed in good time.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 04 July 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#9 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

They're helping the sub 1600*900 plebs.

Still annoyed by the removal of equip button and auto open Omnipod tabs, those make Column only view a painful experience.

#10 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

Simple answer... people actually tried it and then learned to use it - ran out of stuff to whine about.

#11 Team Chevy86

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostBloody, on 04 July 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

unapproved off topic post

Ha. Where have you been for the past 3 months? Progress has been amazing. I can't even list the amount of community suggested material has been implemented in the past few months with even more to come.

Anyway, anything was better than 2.0. The original mech lab to 2.0 was 2 steps back. 2.0 to the new mechlab was 3 steps forward. Make it 4 steps when the mech select screen is more efficient. I love it

Edited by GM Patience, 06 July 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#12 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

Mech select still sucks, but the squeaky wheel got the grease and they are going to be fixing it.

#13 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:30 PM

I got 150 mechs from both factions.

The fact I can simply select what faction the mech is, and what weight class to find it 10 times quicker then before and when I have duplicates of a variant I can see which has what weapons much more easier and quicker then before so I do not end up taking a stock centurion AH into the battlefield or taking my LRM locust instead of my streak locust.

#14 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 July 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Apathy take over? Or did most people just get used to it and move on already?

Obviously, it's not perfect. But I do find it very quick and easy to use, personally.

But at this point, now that initial shock is gone, and familiarity with the new interface has set in, what are the major issues or features lacking? What have general opinions tuned to at this point?

I'm not sure if it was the mechlab bishop.. it was the mech select screen. The new mechlab is fine.

Its not like a getting used to something matter i think. Its more like giving up hope for improvement. its like, it is as it is... its not gonna be changed...so deal with it.

Also... i think mech select screen is only a small portion of the UI problem.

I'll give you a couple of examples:

- you ever tried changing group lead while in a group?... without everyone hopping out and needing to be re-invited again?

- Becasue the wait times to find matches are in a geological scale (painfully small number of players) you may sometime visit the kitchen while the MM is searching. Have you ever wished you had a perma-ready status so that everyone would not have to wait for you to come back in case a match search was canceled for some reason and they need to re-launch?

- have you tried using backspace button to clear a long line of text in the group chat window while being in a CW lobby?... you can't because it only clears 1 character and switches to CW lobby chat.

- have you ever tried to select an invalid mech without going to the mechlab?

- Or you ever wished you could tweak around in mechlab while still being able to read chat? and type in it?

- Do you know a "quick" way to view mech quirks?

- Also many other things that i don't remember right now.

These... are small things. These do not show up in a QA phase. You know why?... because it takes time to find the things that are frustrating, and the developers usually do not play their own game.
When the game itself has the potential to become much frustrating at times... a frustrating UI does not help.

Edited by Navid A1, 04 July 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#15 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 04 July 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

expanded tab wont work on my monitor... stupid feature

#16 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

My only problem is the mech select. But even then. It's a minor nuisance. Helps I don't have a huge selection of mechs. I actually like the new mechlab otherwise. I don't even use the expanded thing because I play the game windowed. I actually didn't mine the old UI. With the mech skeleton that you could click on to select stuff from.

#17 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 04 July 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

I'm not sure if it was the mechlab bishop.. it was the mech select screen. The new mechlab is fine.

Its not like a getting used to something matter i think. Its more like giving up hope for improvement. its like, it is as it is... its not gonna be changed...so deal with it.

Well... it IS going to be changed, though. They said they were rebuilding the mech select pretty much right away, thanks to user input (or tears of rage). Next patch, I think? Or the patch after? Something like that. Anyways, it's on the roadmap.

#18 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

I absolutely HATE when you are in the expanded view and the window jumpes to the left when you click the modules tab.

I cant express how much I HATE THAT.

I HATE IT TO THE GUTS!

[Redacted]!!

Edited by GM Patience, 06 July 2015 - 10:36 AM.
offensive

#19 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostTexAce, on 04 July 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

I absolutely HATE when you are in the expanded view and the window jumpes to the left when you click the modules tab.

I cant express how much I HATE THAT.

I HATE IT TO THE GUTS!

[Redacted]!!

Exactly same here.
These are the things that needs the UI designer to actually spend quite a lot of time in-game playing as normal and for fun to find out.

View PostWintersdark, on 04 July 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Well... it IS going to be changed, though. They said they were rebuilding the mech select pretty much right away, thanks to user input (or tears of rage). Next patch, I think? Or the patch after? Something like that. Anyways, it's on the roadmap.

I know.
I was just saying that complaining on the forums can only last for a limited time.
A bad design is still bad... even after you get used to it.

Edited by GM Patience, 06 July 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#20 PR1VATEER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

Yeah it isn't as bad as first thought. The only thing that I find annoying is having to drag and drop a weapon, ammo or equipment in a certain section, and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries to actually get it to stay where I dropped it. Other than that, it is ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users