Is A Command Console Worth It?

48 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:51 AM

I'm thinking of altering my Stalker 4N to focus it on CW duties, before hand I had four LLs and two lrm 5s with artemis, but now I'm thinking of dropping the lrms entirely and equipping some s-streaks a long with a bap and perhaps a command console. Is the command console worth having? I only began considering it since I had 1 slot left but 2 to 3 tons spare. I think it could help with the s-streak lock ons as well as help me aim with my large lasers.

Here's the build I am considering.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8b80390975a8415

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:16 AM

View PostDeimos Alpha, on 05 July 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

I had 1 slot left but 2 to 3 tons spare.

I may be alone in this, but that's about the only time I consider using a CC. It gives decent bonuses, but I rarely find it worth mounting. The Stalker is a good candidate for it, because of the small engine cap.

#3 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

I got it on my highlander that has a gauss rifle, 3 medium lasers, SRM 6, and LRM 20.

It's quite usefull for mechs that can go well with the stuff the console gives as well as having more tons then ammo to work with.

#4 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:21 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 05 July 2015 - 03:16 AM, said:

I may be alone in this, but that's about the only time I consider using a CC. It gives decent bonuses, but I rarely find it worth mounting. The Stalker is a good candidate for it, because of the small engine cap.

Not alone and if I was facing this very same choice, I would prolly install the C3.

I would suggest to install it and run with it for awhile so how it fits into your gameplay. If you feel it is a benefit to you and your CW team, screw what anyone else tells you and do what you think is best for the team. You do that and you will already have an advantage and a stronger team.

#5 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:23 AM

I'm also wondering about this. I'm theory-crafting some ERLL-based Zeus/Battlemaster builds, and in some cases can't fit any more DHS without dropping Endo, and am left with a those 3 tons to spare. The command console looks like it'd be helpful on a heavy laser sniper, but at the same time, the bonus percentages look really meager for 3 tons.

(As a general point, how do they make what's essentially a targeting computer weigh 3 tons using 31st century tech? Has anything beyond vacuum tubes become lostech?)

#6 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:21 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 05 July 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

Not alone and if I was facing this very same choice, I would prolly install the C3.

I would suggest to install it and run with it for awhile so how it fits into your gameplay. If you feel it is a benefit to you and your CW team, screw what anyone else tells you and do what you think is best for the team. You do that and you will already have an advantage and a stronger team.

That's the right attitude.

View Postjss78, on 05 July 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

I'm also wondering about this. I'm theory-crafting some ERLL-based Zeus/Battlemaster builds, and in some cases can't fit any more DHS without dropping Endo, and am left with a those 3 tons to spare. The command console looks like it'd be helpful on a heavy laser sniper, but at the same time, the bonus percentages look really meager for 3 tons.

(As a general point, how do they make what's essentially a targeting computer weigh 3 tons using 31st century tech? Has anything beyond vacuum tubes become lostech?)

The percentages may seem meager, but it's the only option you have, and on long range weapons even something as small as 1% has a big benefit.

As for your other question, that comes partly from the era when the game was developed (the 70s), and the fact that computers in this setting grow in size based on how much equipment they are handling)

A Clan TC for that controls ONLY 2 Gauss Rifles weighs in at 5 tons, and 5 slots. (6 and 6 for the IS). It's benefits will ONLY transfer to the Controlled weapons.

The ones we have in MWO would be considered INSANELY OP.

#7 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

Thank you for answering this questions as I spent it on my Highlander and my thunderbolt and used then took it off but now I will make some new builds and see what happens...

If you use a missile mech then I would say anything that would help ya get a faster lock with bap as well.

Triskin (OGD)

#8 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:26 PM

The command console and BAP does not decrease (lock on) targeting time, but decreases targeting data, or information about your target, according to the Smurphy's description.

#9 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:09 AM

What you get:
-- Zoom 1 + 18%; zoom 2 + 24%; AdvZoom ( pic in pic zoom ) +52,8% !!!
-- Sensor range boost +6% ( stacks with adv sensor and beagle, sensor range beyond 2km IS cool )
-- Target information gathering time boost by 42,5%

So....Kingkrab with dual Gauss, advanced sensor range, advanced zoom, beagle and command console...sounds not too bad huh ?
Atlas DDC with ecm and the above mentioned is something you should fear. He can see you comming over half the map but you if its pilot is a bit smart you will never learn who send you the pain.
Sure 3t for an advanced sensor suit sounds expensive....but when do nice things come for free ?

I'm not sure if it would be that helpfull with a LRM Mech ( not a LRM fan ) but hey just try beeing able to see increases battlefield awareness and so your use for your team.

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:13 AM

I'm thinking of altering my Stalker 4N to focus it on CW duties, before hand I had four LLs and two lrm 5s with artemis, but now I'm thinking of dropping the lrms entirely and equipping some s-streaks a long with a bap and perhaps a command console. Is the command console worth having? I only began considering it since I had 1 slot left but 2 to 3 tons spare. I think it could help with the s-streak lock ons as well as help me aim with my large lasers.

No; occasionally you might get a build which has only one or two slots and three tons left, but that's very rare, and usually you can adjust the build. The Command Console is a bit of a dud right now, not doing enough for its tonnage to justify including it - much less to compete with the far more powerful (though bulkier) Clan Targeting Computers.

#11 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:19 AM

Try This Instead. Lots more firepower close-in, and you still get the Large Lasers (though I should point out that the Heat Scale threshold for those is 3 now.)

Inner Sphere Streaks are simply not worth having compared to their alternatives right now.

#12 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:22 AM

Interesting build... but if i owned one.. (i have 4 other stalkers) I would go with a pair of SRM4's with 4 LL's.. those 4's really up the DPS and pack a lot of close range punch, especially later game.. But if you find yourself having issues with lights, the Bap+streaks is not a bad option.

#13 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 09 July 2015 - 12:09 AM, said:

What you get:
-- Sensor range boost +6% ( stacks with adv sensor and beagle, sensor range beyond 2km IS cool )
-- Target information gathering time boost by 42,5%

I always see people bashing this piece of gear. While I agree it is expensive/heavy for its bonuses these two in particular really do give you an advantage when you have space for it.

I've got one on several machines -
Stalker 4N - 4LL, 2 MPL, Bap and CC to me out performs the 6LL meta build because it never overheats and can get super mean up close.

Battlemaster 3M - 8 MPL, XL400, Bap and CC - this one uses it for the speedy information gathering as its a pure face brawler and knowing where to hit immediately makes all the difference.

Quad AC5 King Crab - again for the information gathering and extended range for radar which works well with the AC5 machine gun mode range.

Almost always I find myself putting this gear in assaults with free space and the very occasional heavy, buts its almost too heavy for the gains for anything lighter than 70 tons in most cases.

Edited by sycocys, 03 August 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#14 Strikeshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

The CC helps you decide where to hit the other mech and that can be very helpful, but it does not help your streaks or lrms lock-on any faster so do not use it for that purpose.

#15 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:01 PM

View PostStrikeshadow, on 08 August 2015 - 02:38 PM, said:

The CC helps you decide where to hit the other mech and that can be very helpful, but it does not help your streaks or lrms lock-on any faster so do not use it for that purpose.

^^^^A million times THIS.
You'd be surprised how many people confuse "target information" for "lock on"

#16 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

Combined with the other target info gather equipment it can help you get near instant paper doll on anything you target. But is that worth 4.5 tons and a module slot to achieve? Keep in mind that once a player targets a mech and reveals its paper doll everyone on the team gets instant paper doll until the mech goes back into cover. Also target info speed is determined by the player's distance. The bonus is much less noticeable close up.

I never use advanced zoom, but maybe that extra 53% helps a lot.

The 6% sensor range boost is pretty small.

Personally, I would prioritize the 1.5 ton BAP over Command Console for its similar uses but also the Anti-ECM. Especially now with all the ECM cheetahs and shadowcats running around. If you still have 3 tons to spare after that, then I guess it can be helpful. But 4.5 tons is practically a large laser. That's not chump change even on an assault.

Edited by Jman5, 15 August 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#17 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

Most times its not worth it. If you are a gauss, erppc, ac5 or 2, erll sniper assault it makes sense paired with the advanced zoom module. Otherwise I just dont see a good return for the weight. Id still like to see it do more. Perhaps when they revamp ECM, and other things to put more emphasis on dedicated roles for mechs, i.e., command, scout, lrm, brawler, ecm, and slap on additional bonuses/rewards for filling those roles.

#18 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

I'll be trying it out on the new Mauler MLR-1R in September. Seems like sniper 'mechs would benefit from the bonuses quite a bit.

#19 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

I think it could help with the s-streak lock ons as well as help me aim with my large lasers.

The CC is rarely worth it's weight by most people's standards. But, by all means I'd give it a try at least. It doesn't hurt to see how it works for oneself.

However, if you are expecting CC (or BAP) to speed up your targeting locks, you are looking in the wrong places. CC and BAP each only speed up data gathering. Data Gathering is what brings up the damage displays of your targets.

If you wish to increase lock on speeds (for LRMs or SSRMs), then Artemis (which weights nothing for SSRMs for the record), TAG and NARC are the systems you would be wishing to look into. (There is more detail here, as certain enhancements don't stack on certain other ones. Ask, and I'll go more in depth if need be.) Of all these, Artemis is a C-bill only costing upgrade for SSRMs. Combine that with BAPs ability to turn off/disable ECM for your SSRMs to lock on (which is why anyone who plans to use SSRMs should always have BAPs on their mechs).

Overall, for it's tonnage costs, CC typically is too heavy for it's benefits currently in game. I haven't seen it preform much for myself. But I could see it in a long range sniper build, as it does increase the zoom function for easier aiming.

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:39 PM

I run my Hellslinger Battlemaster with BAP and CC, the sensor range is pretty huge. The perks are nice. Though, to be honest, if/when the Inner Sphere gains access to bigger Streak racks I absolutely will rip out the CC, AMS, the 0.5 tons AMS ammo, and trim some armor to upgrade the 3xSSRM2 to 3xSSRM4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users