- - - - -

Killer Walls?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Excessive Paranoia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:42 PM

Three times now I've gotten stuck on a wall or ledge while trying to maneuver quickly in a light mech only to suddenly explode because my legs suffered extreme damage. In all cases, I was running parallel or turning, not running straight at them, yet I was suddenly unable to move and then boom. I should also point out that even though I was taking fire at the time, all three times the kill registered as a suicide rather than someone else killing me.

Is this a known bug? Should I just stay away from walls? Or am I doing something wrong here?

#2 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:49 PM

I think you are just excessively paranoid.

#3 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:11 PM

It's collision damage. I prefer lights and we go faster and to places most other mechs don't go. We tend to find the geometry bugs more often. What happens is the game tries to push us out of being stuck which results in collision damage. If you're wedged in really good, went you finally pop out it can tear one or both legs off. You might call it a bug, but it's better than it used to be. It used to be that once you were stuck, that was it and you spend the rest of the game as a turret. Now at least you have a chance to get unstuck.

#4 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:33 PM

can you recreate it in the training grounds? collisions deal pretty low damage

#5 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

There are some places where you can get stuck and take lots of damage, but it's not common. Did you run out of bounds?

You can also get a screencap of the location and send in a bug report. F9 brings up the xyz coords and printscreen saves a screenshot under c:/user/saved games/piranha games/mechwarrior online/screenshots or something like that. E-mail to technical@mwomercs.com or maybe feedback@mwomercs.com with a description of how you got there or details like that.

#6 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 05 July 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

can you recreate it in the training grounds? collisions deal pretty low damage

hell no, i had games in my spider where i glitched in or onto some walls only resulting in getting stuck for 10 seconds an a whooping 10% overall damage onto the legs (mean all armor gone and orange internals). Favorit map for this is either heleborne springs or the bog.

#7 WarZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

View PostExcessive Paranoia, on 05 July 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

Three times now I've gotten stuck on a wall or ledge while trying to maneuver quickly in a light mech only to suddenly explode because my legs suffered extreme damage. In all cases, I was running parallel or turning, not running straight at them, yet I was suddenly unable to move and then boom. I should also point out that even though I was taking fire at the time, all three times the kill registered as a suicide rather than someone else killing me.

Is this a known bug? Should I just stay away from walls? Or am I doing something wrong here?

Its has happened many times to me as well. Its a bug of some kind. Basically you clip into part of the terrain, get stuck in it, and the effect is that you have non stop damage occuring to the leg / legs. It is infuriating.

I most memorably have had it happen on river city. All around that "citadel" as people call call it. At least 3-4 times on the side where you drop off the ramp onto the "platform" portion. One on the other side kinda hanging off the edge of the ramp going up the incline.

Edited by WarZ, 05 July 2015 - 08:51 PM.

#8 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

Most collisions cause no damage. There are spots, however, where your 'Mech can get stuck in the terrain. If you use third-person view, you will see that your 'Mech is stuck in its "falling" animation. And that's exactly what it is - you start falling and the game, for some reason, won't register a floor in those specific spots.

You cannot turn your 'Mech, unless it has jump jets with fuel still in them. You cannot adjust your throttle. And usually, you are stuck there until someone destroys you. When this happens, you will fall through the terrain, for an infinite distance until you are no longer able to spectate your dead 'Mech.

Those spots are less common than they used to be. River City was always the worst offender. However, a few remain. Even less common, though, were spots that would start you off in this inifnite free-fall - but eventually let you go, making you land. The game read this "stuck" state as your 'Mech having been falling for hundreds of meters, so when you landed, you'd take a MASSIVE hit of damage to your legs. I've had this occur maybe three or five times since I started playing the game, which was a long time ago.

Even more rare than THAT is the bug that you get into that infinite fall, but your legs slightly clip into some other terrain feature or something, so they start having damage hammered into them at an accelerated rate. Happens when you land on top of another 'Mech sometimes too. Both phenomena are raer, but they do occur. Try to remember the exact spot it happened in, and contact Support to let them know about it.

TL;DR he's not being paranoid, it is a bug, albeit an uncommon one

Edited by Bloodweaver, 05 July 2015 - 08:50 PM.

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

A long time ago I saw an enemy assault mech fall straight through the ground in river city. In the middle of the road. Sucks to have been that pilot.

#10 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 06 July 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

A long time ago I saw an enemy assault mech fall straight through the ground in river city. In the middle of the road. Sucks to have been that pilot.

hahahaha picture mechs instead of arabs:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users