#41 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 08 July 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

As to your last two paragraphs, you seem to still be operating under the assumption that I'm taking a position in an argument I've already said I have no stake in. We all need to guard against reactionism in our forum posting.

Sorry, I'm a bit peeved about Star Citizen as you can probably tell.

#42 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:05 PM

Eh, it happens. I've done it myself, and no mistake. =)

#43 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:06 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 08 July 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:

Ah your true colors come out. :)

Reading comprehension? Perhaps you should work on your own. You said, and I quote, "optional subscription model."

Chris Roberts adamantly said when he marketed the game there would be no subscription model. I'm sorry you had trouble comprehending my reply.

There is already an optional subscription model. It exists TODAY. You can be a subscriber, with their optional subscription model. You're even called a subscriber. With special subscriber flair on the forums.

Edited by Heffay, 09 July 2015 - 06:06 AM.

#44 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

View PostHeffay, on 09 July 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

There is already an optional subscription model. It exists TODAY. You can be a subscriber, with their optional subscription model. You're even called a subscriber. With special subscriber flair on the forums.

Ah, right. They've had that support subscription for a while. But what I'm talking about is a subscription to play PU or any of the various online modes. He's said before we wouldn't need one.

#45 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 09 July 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

Ah, right. They've had that support subscription for a while. But what I'm talking about is a subscription to play PU or any of the various online modes. He's said before we wouldn't need one.

That's why I said it was an optional subscription.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of in game benefits it gets you when the PU goes live. Probably enhanced UEC earnings and the like.

Edited by Heffay, 09 July 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#46 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostHeffay, on 09 July 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

That's why I said it was an optional subscription.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of in game benefits it gets you when the PU goes live. Probably enhanced UEC earnings and the like.

That's a slippery slope because I believe I recall him saying that not only would there not be a subscription required for PU, but everyone would be on an equal footing as far as earnings are concerned (minus pledged ships). I could be wrong.

I do think he mentioned there'd continue to be a store of some sorts but you would not in any way be able to buy currency.

#47 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 09 July 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

That's a slippery slope because I believe I recall him saying that not only would there not be a subscription required for PU, but everyone would be on an equal footing as far as earnings are concerned (minus pledged ships). I could be wrong.

I do think he mentioned there'd continue to be a store of some sorts but you would not in any way be able to buy currency.

If the subscription doesn't provide some sort of in game advantage, it won't sell. And they need that money to provide support for the servers. I'm not saying in game advantage like pay to win, but it'll definitely have a pay for convenience benefit to it.

And they already specifically said you'll be able to buy UEC credits on the store, which you can use to buy ships. They said existing ships won't be available for straight up purchase any more, but I'm pretty sure that new ships will sell for cash prior to being available in the universe. It's smart monetization, and if there is one thing we can be sure of Chris Roberts has never left a nickel on the table.

#48 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostHeffay, on 09 July 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

If the subscription doesn't provide some sort of in game advantage, it won't sell. And they need that money to provide support for the servers. I'm not saying in game advantage like pay to win, but it'll definitely have a pay for convenience benefit to it.

And they already specifically said you'll be able to buy UEC credits on the store, which you can use to buy ships. They said existing ships won't be available for straight up purchase any more, but I'm pretty sure that new ships will sell for cash prior to being available in the universe. It's smart monetization, and if there is one thing we can be sure of Chris Roberts has never left a nickel on the table.

Well he's certainly changed his position from the Kickstarter then. Lesson learned. It was the first Kickstarter I supported and don't want to support any more.

I'm kind of upset I didn't support the Elite one, but I bought it upon release and knew what I was getting at least. I supported Underworld Ascendant, the only other Kickstarter I've given money to (other than MWO Founder's), but I have no idea how that one will turn out.

I realize they must support server costs. But part of the point behind Star Citizen was player-run universes, too. Oh well, we'll see. Derek Smart makes some really good points.

#49 Zeusus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 09 July 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

If I recall he said that you would not be able to buy ships but you could buy a limited amount of UEC during some time period, so you can't go and start game, buy 10000k and buy all the stuff.

Basically it'd be like if MWO let you buy no more than 1 million cbills a day, and maybe no more than 5mil every 7 days and 10mil a month.

So you could treat it like a sub if you wanted, bit you likely won't leap all that far ahead.

Assuming of course I recall correctly/understood

#50 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

This thread was interesting before it became a three-way of hate.

#51 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Derek Smart is not, nor has he ever been, a leader in the video game industry. He has made a career of being a tool (self professed) and producing unmemorable games AFTER others with more capability have produced memorable products. His current project?

"Galactic Command"

He is the wrong person to be commenting on Star Citizen. He doesn't even realize that people are funding the game's development by pledging, not buying, ships as backer.

#52 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 09 July 2015 - 06:08 PM, said:

Derek Smart is not, nor has he ever been, a leader in the video game industry. He has made a career of being a tool (self professed) and producing unmemorable games AFTER others with more capability have produced memorable products. His current project?

"Galactic Command"

He is the wrong person to be commenting on Star Citizen. He doesn't even realize that people are funding the game's development by pledging, not buying, ships as backer.

That said, what do you think of his claims on the game being beyond the ability of any current technology? That's a claim quite a few have been making.

#53 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:21 AM

Derek Smart? People actually listen to this guy? About anything? Ever? A man who in an interview with a PC magazine basically admitted he is a troll who likes to go into internet discussions and cause controversy for shits and giggles? A man whose games have been uniformly horrible?

This is the "respected game dev veteran" people are saying anyone ought to liste to? About _anything_?

Alrighty then.

#54 Túatha Dé Danann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

I'll just leave this here:
Posted Image

#55 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 09 July 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:

That said, what do you think of his claims on the game being beyond the ability of any current technology? That's a claim quite a few have been making.

Derek Smart is always a step or three behind video game-related technologies, that's why the games he produced were always released AFTER the technology in the memorable games had been proved. Just because he thinks the vision of SC is beyond the ability of any current technology, he forgot to add the closing bit:

"......beyond the ability of any current technology that I can comprehend or entertain working with."

#56 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

People like to beat up on Derek Smart but he's actually brighter than most give him credit for.

#57 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 09 July 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

This thread was interesting before it became a three-way of hate.

Heffay has a way of doing that to threads.

#58 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 10 July 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

People like to beat up on Derek Smart but he's actually brighter than most give him credit for.

No, no he isn't.

#59 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 10 July 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

No, no he isn't.

How many games have you written yourself and published through a third party publisher?

#60 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 10 July 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

How many games have you written yourself and published through a third party publisher?

I could ask you the same question and it would also serve no purpose. That isn't the question here anyway, not sniping at each other to justify a point.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 10 July 2015 - 02:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users