Best Low-Duration Laserboat?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

Hey everyone! I'm looking for a 'Mech with quirks and abilities to make for good low-as-possible duration laservomit.

Here is my current list:

HIGH TIER 'MECHS (25% and above duration):

Locust LCT-1E: Laser Duration -25%

Locust LCT-1M: Medium Laser Duration -25%

Locust LCT-1V: ER Large Laser Duration -50% (My god man. OP as f*ck, but can only mount
one)

Spider SDR-5K: ER Large Laser Duration -25%

Spider SDR-5V: Laser Duration -30% (Fun with 2x MPL)

Panther PNT-8Z: Large Laser Duration -25%

Raven RVN-4X: Laser Duration -30% (2x Large + 2x Medium is fun)

Hunchback HBK-4SP: Laser Duration -25%

Quickdraw QKD-5K: Large Laser Duration: -25% (Has 4 high mounted energy slots, great for
4x LL)

Orion ON1-V: Laser Duration -25% (Only has 2 energy slots)

Awesome AWS-8R: Laser Duration -25% (Only has 3 energy slots, one in head)

LOWER TIER 'MECHS (20% duration):

Commando COM-1B: Medium Laser Duration 20% (Only has 3 energy slots)

Blackjack BJ-1X: Medium Laser Duration 20% (8 slots, fun as f*ck to mess with)

Centurion CN9-AL: Large Laser Duration 20% (Can mount 3x LL, might be fun, but needs an
XL)

Kintaro KTO-20: Medium Laser Duration 20% (Only 4 energy slots, 2 in CT)

Trebuchet TBT-5J: 20% Duration (5 slots in arms, only works on non-pulse lasers)

Battlemaster BLR-1G: 20% Medium Laser Duration (7 Energy Slots, decent quirks)

Battlemaster BLR-3M: 20% Medium Laser Duration (8 Energy slots, same hardpoints as 1G, no heat generation quirks)

Battlemaster BLR-1D: 20% Medium Laser Duration (5 Energy slots, even less quirks)

Anything crossed out I've deemed unworkable/there's a better alternative.

Has anyone used these 'Mechs? Anyone have any build ideas?

Thanks!

#2 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

Locust 1E with 6 SPL is a crazy ankle-biter. It is like a short range ac-24 with no ammo, since the duration is so short. This is pretty handy at 169 kph since you don't have much time to hold the laser on the target when you are going that fast.

#3 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:30 AM

My thoughts from mechs on your list I've piloted:

SUPER EFFECTIVE!

QKD-5K

I don't like the chassis, but this thing is fantastic with 3x LL. I prefer it to 4 to ignore ghost heat and have higher up-time when you end up in closer range.

HBK-4SP

A really solid mech, but you need to use missiles too. Having 4/5 of your weapons low-mounted and on your arms is asking for trouble. But with a good laser/SRM mix, this mech can still get work done post-clans.

BLR-1G

The only reason this mech isn't more popular is because of better assault chassis that can run pulse laser boats (see Banshee and Zeus). If you rely on torso twist a lot though, be warned it's pretty limited. Otherwise it's a beast in the hands of a player good at positioning.

Solid Mechs

LCT-1E

Does really well boating ML in my experience. I find 5x with an extra DHS works best, since it runs hot. A good poking mech with much higher alpha than the 1V. Only held back by how fragile it is.

RVN-4X

I haven't quite hit my stride with this mech, but it's pretty scary if you can master the positioning. I run 2 LPL poke build. The only problem is you have to run a sub-max engine to do it which cuts into your ability to avoid danger.

Good Fun, but more fun than good

LVT-1V

I almost put this one tier higher. It has the potential to do really well, but more often than not you don't get significant numbers. Still, this thing is an amazing long range harasser with ER LL.

SDR-5V

The jump jets on this are absolutely hilarious. But in a world of Firestarters and Stormcrows, 2 MPL, no matter hard quirked, aren't enough. Absolute joy to pilot though.

CN9-AL

I really love this mech and chassis, but the durability just doesn't matter the way it used to. Still, this is really fun to run around with 3 larges. If you want an alternative see the Quickdraw where JJ and not losing 2 weapons with 1 arm make a world of difference.

Meh

PNT-8Z

(WARNING: I have only played this very briefly on the test realm, these are initial impressions)
It just feels awkward. You lose all your weapons to 1 arm destroyed, 3 LL is too hot, 2 LL is... why not a raven with harder to hit arms? And 3 MPL is just not that impressive.

TBT-5J

You've got fairly large arms and durable torso hitboxes. This means you will almost always lose your weapons well before you die.

Other Stuff!
These have sub-20% duration quirks, but are worth considering if you like low duration laser builds:

HBK-4J

More lasers and better placement than the 4SP, better laser quirks than the 4P (seriously, look at them), and without missiles it has no easy to hit hunch. It also has nasty missile quirks to allow a huge variety of builds. My all time favorite mech.

TDR-5SS

Wait, there's no duration quirks? Nope, but seeing as you're running IS MPL, it's already lower than many quirked ML and LL builds. Also this is inarguably one of the best IS mechs in the game. Your hitboxes are crap, but you should win a 1v1 close range fight with any mech in the game except maybe an SPL Executioner.

BNC-3M and ZEU-9S

I can't not highlight these with only 1 other assault in my post. These both make spectacular pulse laser boats (hence inclusion in your duration post). They're extremely similar. It's mainly a choice between speed and 1-sided weapons (Zeus) and firepower with evenly spread weapons (Banshee), otherwise thanks to the Zeus' armor quirks they're nearly identical.

FS9-A and FS9-S

Also mentioning these because they're just amazing at SPL and MPL respectively and represent great knife fighters, which the original list has none of (locusts are just too fragile to do what FS do).

#4 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:39 AM

5J treb with 3 er large and 2 ml is great,quickdraw 5k works best as a laservomit(2 lpl 4 ml) platform due to the excellent range quirks,hunchy 4P has always been a solid choice.

#5 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 11 July 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

Locust 1E with 6 SPL is a crazy ankle-biter. It is like a short range ac-24 with no ammo, since the duration is so short. This is pretty handy at 169 kph since you don't have much time to hold the laser on the target when you are going that fast.

Absolutely true, but since the last patch HSR now makes light mechs too easy to kill.

Never thought I'd say that...

#6 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostEximar, on 11 July 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

Absolutely true, but since the last patch HSR now makes light mechs too easy to kill.

I have not noticed this phenomenon, but I run about 50-60 ping so I guess it didnt change much for me. Staying alive is about positioning and cover and attacking from odd angles. Dodging shots or "tanking" are tactics for getting out of a mistake, not primary tactics. If they don't see you they can't shoot you ;)

#7 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

Just a note, but if you're looking for low laser duration, you should strongly consider anything that has any significant quirks for lasers that *already* are low duration, but improved in other ways.

An IS medium pulse laser for example is a 0.6 second duration by default. An IS large pulse laser is already 0.67 seconds out of the box, which is extremely short! In order to make a IS large laser which has a base 1 second duration as short as a medium pulse, it would require a whopping 40% total duration reduction, which only one mech out of your entire list actually fits, and that mech can only mount 1 total laser.

For this reason you should consider any mech that is heavily quirked for IS medium pulses or large pulses, such as the Firestarter-S and Thunderbolt 5SS, and even Arrow which uses large pulses and on top of that short base duration has an additional 20% reduction.

View PostEximar, on 11 July 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

I haven't noticed this piloting my lights, but I did fear it would be so if they ever fixed HSR to the point where it was equivalent to client side hit detection.

#8 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

I've seen it from both sides. Spiders and Firestarters are much easier to kill now.

#9 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm thinking of running a 6x Medium + ERPPC + 2x MG Battlemaster. Sounds like tons of fun.

#10 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

CN-9AL confirmed for fun. I'm still running a STD engine in it since you can zombie with a LL and take BAP for quicker info gather and ams for support. Heat isn't really an issue thanks to good quirks. Thought about upgrading to XL and fitting in srms but haven't saved up for right XL yet.

#11 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostNight Thastus, on 11 July 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

Raven RVN-4X: Laser Duration -30% (2x Large + 2x Medium is fun)

4X only has 2 energy hardpoints though, I think you mean 2X.

#12 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

Pretty Baby's LLs fire about as fast as standard MLs standard SPLs. 0.7 second duration and 2.275 second cooldown, bringing them to 2.975 per cycle. Unquirked SPLs have 0.5 second duration and 2.25 second cooldown, giving them 2.75 seconds per full cycle. The PB's LLs also have 25% bonuses to range and heat generation. Shame it can only carry two...

Edited by Bloodweaver, 02 August 2015 - 04:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users