#1 Pugnax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSometimes Canada

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hello folks,

I've been having heat issues and could use some help. My first problem is gaming with a laptop, I know that... but hear me out:

A couple months ago I noticed performance decreasing in mwo (CPU downclocking for a few seconds, killing the fps) and sought out the cause. Turned out my CPU was getting super hot during play (mid-high 90s) and downclocking to avoid overheating. Temps were around 60-70 while idling.

In an attempt to remedy this I disassembled the laptop (Acer V3, Dual Core i5 4200M @ 2.5GHz), cleaned the fan, airways, and reapplied the thermal paste to CPU and GPU (is a pain with this laptop; have to remove keyboard and motherboard).

After reassembling, temperatures were much better! Idling around 50 and in the low 70s when gaming. This lasted for one day. I went back to play again the following day and temperatures were back up to high 80s, low 90s, affecting play once again, and idling between 60-70.

I'm baffled as to why I would get a temp reduction for one day then have it go back to normal. Any recommendations for further action? Is it worth trying to reapply the paste again? Maybe clean the CPU better using alcohol?

Thanks,
Pugnax

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

Well, let me ask a couple of questions here:

1) What kind of thermal compound did you use?
2) Did you clean off the CPU and GPU completely the first time? Sounds like you might not have
3) What did you clean them with?
4) What is the machine sitting on? Do you have a good notebook cooling pad? Something with a big fan or a couple of decent-sized fans that generate a good amount of air flow?
5) After applying the thermal compound, did you let it cure for the recommended time (depends on the compound) before turning the machine on?

#3 Pugnax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the response:

1) Startech 1.5 g Metal Oxide Thermal CPU Paste (SILVGREASE1)
2) I thought I did, but thinking back it may have still been "greasy" from the old paste
3) I used a credit card to gently flake off the dried out paste, then a q-tip to get the smearing bits off of the contact points
4) The laptop is on a glass-topped desk, with the back end propped up 2-3 inches to allow for air flow underneath.
5) I honestly did not know there was a curing time for the Startech. I probably turned it on roughly 1 hour after applying the paste

#4 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:07 AM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010

#5 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

i have read you can use high alcohol content rubbing alcohol and coffee filters to clean the old paste,

http://www.maximumpc...-install-a-cpu/

Edited by Gorantir, 13 July 2015 - 11:20 AM.

#6 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:44 PM

Generally-speaking, most modern high-performance compounds need an hour or less. Some of these lower-end ones might need a little more, but giving it an hour should be good enough to say that this isn't the issue.

I can second the arcticlean stuff Goose linked. I use it as well, and it is excellent at emulsifying thermal compound. For notebooks, I've found that soaking the corner of a coffee filter in it and then letting it sit on the dried stuff while applying very slight pressure works pretty well. I use both the cleaner and the polish on the CPU+GPU and the heatsink so everything is as clean as it can be.

I'd recommend a real notebook cooler instead of just giving it a little bit of breathing room. I personally have a Cooler Master X3. It's good for a 2-3c difference when gaming. Not a whole lot, but definitely better than just sitting the back end of the machine up by a couple inches.

Also, you may want to try the CPU power setting trick to disable turbo boost. Let the GPU stay at 'maximum performance' but disabling turbo might help you in both the temp and performance departments (at least with MWO).

#7 Endurance2012

• Pip
  • Löjtnant II
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

There are laptop cooling pads.

Those with 2 fans I think they are the best.

But everything is useless if you keep your laptop lying on the bed.

Up to now I have head of 2 laptops fried like that

#8 Piper Palala

Rookie

• The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAmarika, Terra, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

Would it be considered trolling to say "Have you tried adding more heatsinks" in response to an overheating question?

...because it's actually a good option...

View PostEndurance2012, on 13 July 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

There are laptop cooling pads.

I got a few more years than I honestly had any right to out of my gaming laptop I built for college due to always running it on a pad with extra external fans under it. I could even play with it in my lap or on my bed since the pad gave it it's own space to breathe. I highly recommend them for laptop users. All it needs is a free USB port :)

#9 Pugnax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

Just took it apart and cleaned the CPU and GPU thoroughly with 70% isopropyl. Also used less paste this time, we'll see what happens.

#10 Pugnax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:18 AM

These are all good suggestions, I'll probably buy a cooling pad.

View PostxWiredx, on 13 July 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

Also, you may want to try the CPU power setting trick to disable turbo boost. Let the GPU stay at 'maximum performance' but disabling turbo might help you in both the temp and performance departments (at least with MWO).

I just tried this too, reduced by CPU power to 80%, which also disables turbo boost. It definitely helps with heat! I notice a bit of a performance drop, but a constant 30-40 fps is more playable than a steady 50 with intermittent 1-5 when combat heats up.

I'm idling around 60 now as well. Seems better. Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Pugnax, 14 July 2015 - 06:18 AM.

#11 Capt_Kobalt

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

1. Air flow thought the box Matters!
2. Heat rises (Even in the box)
3. Must have air in and air out.. (Get the heat out of the Box)
4. Suggest water cooling. Easy and expansive to do nowadays.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostCapt_Kobalt, on 20 July 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

1. Air flow thought the box Matters!
2. Heat rises (Even in the box)
3. Must have air in and air out.. (Get the heat out of the Box)
4. Suggest water cooling. Easy and expansive to do nowadays.

It's a laptop... maybe next time we read more yes? Water cooling is obviously not an option and OP has no way outside of a cooling pad with fans to do anything about airflow...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users