Shadowcat And Arctic Cheetah Countdown: 1 Day Left!

349 replies to this topic

#41 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:13 AM

View PostSereglach, on 15 July 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

Looking at the variants we are and aren't getting at the start, I wouldn't complain if we eventually got the E configuration of the Hankyu/Arctic Cheetah. Although we don't have Machine Gun Arrays, the tonnage of the array could be devoted to ammunition or something (since we'll probably never have actual arrays, given their TT purpose); and PGI have historically turned the A/B-Pods into armor, heatsinks, or ammunition anyway. That would be a fun one with 3B in each arm, 2E in the left torso and 1E in the right.

I do not recall any A/B Pods on any variant in game from their TT stats.

#42 Kiyoshi Amaya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 366 posts
  • LocationWaiting for PVE Co-op

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:47 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 15 July 2015 - 11:42 PM, said:

So you think that this:
Posted Image

is worse than the fatty Voldemort we are going to have?

(larger and without the shadowcat nose)

Posted Image

Taken from a another thread:

View PostShrekken, on 16 July 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

Posted Image

Looks like this Cat has got plenty of nose.... how much more did you want?

In making this image, I realised what is really missing from the model. The air intakes are missing some geometry which means they're sitting further back. Go play spot the difference with the screen shot and the concept art, and you'll see what I mean (hopefully!). And if you look carefully at the above image, you'll see the same thing.

#43 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 16 July 2015 - 04:06 AM, said:

The side-by-side knee would have looked better, IMO.... Y'know, that's the whole problem with PGI's Reverse joint knees, now that you mention it... The bypass designs in ALL the original artwork allow the knee to bend much further than the in line setup that all the mechs acrually wound up with. This explains their stance, to an extent.

I've known this since the clans first arrived. The knee joints of the canon clan mechs would help the designs in a lot of ways; you can keep the feet the same distance apart with a narrower waist, which means the arms don't need to stick out as much to clear the hips when the mech torso twists. The upper legs are also slimmer with this other look. Gives you a nice alien feel for the mechs like the Mad Dog/Timber Wolf, compared to the humanoid stances of the Hellbringer etc.

If I were king of the universe and could compel PGI to do another design pass with unlimited resources to get it done, that's what I'd like to see.

View PostArman Abounourinejad, on 15 July 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Special geo is applied to the head in the above screenshots with the default variant it should match closer to the concept. Also when not equipped the missile boxes will be replaced with other geo to reduce the hitbox.

Hope that answers a few questions you guys had.

Thanks a bunch Arman, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. It will be a little annoying if I end up preferring the default design to the variant with 30% c-bill bonus, but nice to hear the default is a bit closer to Alex's artwork.

I know I can be critical at times, but seriously I blame Alex. He sets the bar pretty high with those designs!

Edited by Luscious Dan, 16 July 2015 - 07:26 AM.

#44 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 16 July 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

I do not recall any A/B Pods on any variant in game from their TT stats.

Well, Sarna might have inaccuracies now and again, but they typically have the payloads correct for variants . . . but if you have the TRO correct me if I'm wrong.

Hankyu/Arctic Cheetah Alternate Configuration E:

Configured for anti-infantry work, this variant carries two Machine Gun Arrays populated with three Light Machine Guns each as its primary weaponry. These are backed up by a single Flamer, and battle armor troops are threatened by the twin B-Pods mounted on the torso. For harder targets, it carries two Medium Pulse Lasers.

So, according to that, the Hankyu E does, in fact, carry 2 B-Pods. Typically PGI has just turned the tonnage taken up by those into heat sinks, armor, or ammo. The machine gun arrays are pretty easily handled, and will probably just be turned into ammunition, because they functionally have zero use in MWO. In TT a machine gun array let you roll once for all the guns and -I believe- hit the same spot . . . which technically already happens in MWO just by pointing and shooting.

Regardless, it's a quick fix, either way, if they choose to put the E configuration in the game at some point.

#45 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 15 July 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

Arctic Cheetah the 'saving grace' Clan Light Mech.
I expected it and see it to be true.
Prime and A variant Arms with BIG FAT MISSILE PODS.
I expect a lotta swaps for B & C Arms.

I think you might instead see fewer swaps -- consider this... Instead of dead in 2 shots, you could tank up to 4 shots before dying. One per arm by throwing the arm in the way of the enemy fire!

It's AMAZING! O_O! I wants!

<.< That said PGI needs to address the instant convergence of weapons for something less unrealistic.

#46 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:09 AM

View PostSereglach, on 16 July 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

Regardless, it's a quick fix, either way, if they choose to put the E configuration in the game at some point.

I sincerely hope they do! ECM, 6 MGs and 2 MPLs sounds like a wicked little mech.

#47 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:14 AM

Y'know... Something we're not thinking about here... That side torso vent is going to house a missile hardpoint on the A variant. The vents probably have to be that big to accomodate 20 missile tubes...

Edited to be A variant, accidentally listed it as B

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 16 July 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#48 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 16 July 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

Y'know... Something we're not thinking about here... That side torso vent is going to house a missile hardpoint on the B variant. The vents probably have to be that big to accomodate 20 missile tubes...

Neither the Shadow Cat nor the Arctic Cheetah B variants have side torso missile hardpoints... not sure what you mean.

Posted Image

The right torso on the Shadow Cat A has an SSRM6... which should look fine. The MW4 Shadow Cat had missiles there and they looked good.

#49 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 16 July 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

Neither the Shadow Cat nor the Arctic Cheetah B variants have side torso missile hardpoints... not sure what you mean.

Posted Image

The right torso on the Shadow Cat A has an SSRM6... which should look fine. The MW4 Shadow Cat had missiles there and they looked good.

Woops, you're right, it should have been the A... I edited my post...

But, all clan missile hardpoints can have up to 20 tubes in their location to accommodate an LRM20. Unlike MW4, the number of tubes affects how the weapon fires in MWO. So making the torso slightly larger so they xan cram 20 tubes is a good thing, for those who will use them.

They also need to fit 3MGs on the P side torso, which will probably fill that vent uoke as well.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 16 July 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#50 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:35 AM

The Arctic Cheetah looks like it would perform much better than the mist lynx.

A little off-topic. With these i will have 25 odd mechs to complete, 16+ Grasshoppers, Warhawks and Wolverines.

Edited by dragnier1, 16 July 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#51 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostSereglach, on 16 July 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

Well, Sarna might have inaccuracies now and again, but they typically have the payloads correct for variants . . . but if you have the TRO correct me if I'm wrong.

Hankyu/Arctic Cheetah Alternate Configuration E:

So, according to that, the Hankyu E does, in fact, carry 2 B-Pods. Typically PGI has just turned the tonnage taken up by those into heat sinks, armor, or ammo. The machine gun arrays are pretty easily handled, and will probably just be turned into ammunition, because they functionally have zero use in MWO. In TT a machine gun array let you roll once for all the guns and -I believe- hit the same spot . . . which technically already happens in MWO just by pointing and shooting.

Arctic Cheetah E is from 3071. Yet too far ahead of our timeline to worry about.

#52 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:52 AM

View PostOdanan, on 16 July 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

Arctic Cheetah E is from 3071. Yet too far ahead of our timeline to worry about.

And that's why I say "if" and "when". It's a nice variant to hope eventually comes our way. I figured it was worth pointing out its potential.

#53 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 July 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

Awesome, thanks for chipping in with answers!

Also: Who are you? What do you do at PGI? I don't think I've ever seen you before! :)

Arman is a 3D Artist!
He's on this Instragram Post where he showed us the Crab in progress.

#54 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostArman Abounourinejad, on 15 July 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Special geo is applied to the head in the above screenshots with the default variant it should match closer to the concept. Also when not equipped the missile boxes will be replaced with other geo to reduce the hitbox.

Hope that answers a few questions you guys had.

Bolded for emphasis.

Ok, I'm not asking this to be a jerk, I'm asking with complete sincerity; and I'm just looking for an honest answer: Why do we see so many newer mechs with major changes to mech geometry for weapons visualization, that are mech specific, and yet when the older mechs are redone (with few exceptions, like the Atlas) the weapons visualizations for those are just tacked on, very generic, and in many ways appear quickly/shoddily done?

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just looking for an honest and sincere answer from someone who's apparently working on the mech models directly.

#55 signal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

The wave trilogy coubtdown is already saying 4 days, but theres no post for 5 days left :c

#56 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostSereglach, on 16 July 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

Bolded for emphasis.

Ok, I'm not asking this to be a jerk, I'm asking with complete sincerity; and I'm just looking for an honest answer: Why do we see so many newer mechs with major changes to mech geometry for weapons visualization, that are mech specific, and yet when the older mechs are redone (with few exceptions, like the Atlas) the weapons visualizations for those are just tacked on, very generic, and in many ways appear quickly/shoddily done?

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just looking for an honest and sincere answer from someone who's apparently working on the mech models directly.

I think as time has gone on they have gotten better at what they do, simple answer. That means some of the older stuff needs a revisit to stay current but they are still working with the original model.

I am unaware of the Arctic Cheetah being in any other games so the only models I've seen are the old drawings and man, I think they have improved on it in every way. Besides wave 1 which had pretty much all of my all-time favorite 'mechs in it this is the most I have anticipated a 'mech. It looks great, has great stats on paper, and will be "new" since I have not piloted it in a previous Mechwarrior title.

#57 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 16 July 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

I've known this since the clans first arrived. The knee joints of the canon clan mechs would help the designs in a lot of ways; you can keep the feet the same distance apart with a narrower waist, which means the arms don't need to stick out as much to clear the hips when the mech torso twists. The upper legs are also slimmer with this other look. Gives you a nice alien feel for the mechs like the Mad Dog/Timber Wolf, compared to the humanoid stances of the Hellbringer etc.

while i don't mind the current legs of the timber or mad dog, i do think the canon kneejoints would have been better.
For example since the timberwolf has such a compact and bulky frame AND the kneejoints it has right now, it does looks much more like a MKIII 55 medium then a MKI 75 Heavy.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mad_Cat_III
Posted Image

#58 AC GLINT

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIn a LYNX on top of a king crab pretending to be an elemental

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:53 PM

I can safely assume that everybody expected and now want, thanks to my mspaint skills, this for the shoulders:Posted Image
It cant be that hard to scale down those hideous boxes?

#59 signal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

Why would you want to get rid of those sick gains bro

#60 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts