Daily Missions [Alternative]

21 replies to this topic

Poll: Daily Missions [Alternative] (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Would this be a good idea to add to the game?

1. Voted Yes! (33 votes [94.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 94.29%

2. No! (A post explaining why would be appreciated) (2 votes [5.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:13 AM

I've seen the post about Daily Missions but it was too simplistic.
Giving cbills or mc prizes for kills or assists seemed something way too simple and basic.
That got me think of other ideas for daily Missions.

Although we are definitely limited due to how the game is at the moment... a few ideas came to mind.

So here is my suggestion:

Daily Missions are interesting if they are randomly picked from a database of options.
(This would prevent people to feel they have to work to get one mission complete by the end of the day... providing them the opportunity to try that same mission on another random day)
Edit - If an incomplete mission is presented again, the user could either start it over and give it another go (potentially having an increase in the reward like 5 or 10%), or just start from he left of... )

Edit - Keep in mind, the rewards would be something symbolic, to keep the player engaged but not to detract his attention to events or tournaments. So I'll risk saying small rewards would be of 50k and big rewards would be 100k C-Bills. This seems like small beans, but if you accomplish 1 a day, it will add up each passing week.

Picture this, the daily mission would be picked according to:
Faction (if merc, would be able to get any from any faction)
Seniority in game (the older the player, the more tactically challenging the missions) - Could also use PSR, if applicable
Faction rank (higher rank, more difficult missions, more specific premises (like having to use a House mech to accomplish the Mission)
... more options could be added here ...

In the Faction, the options could be something like:
Davion - In Solo - Kill / Assist Kill 10 Kuritas (or any other faction member) (small reward); 20 Kuritas (big reward) ...
Davion - In CW - Kill / Assist Kill 20 Kuritas (or any other faction member) (small reward); 30 Kuritas (big reward) ...
Seniority in game - Gather 1000 resources (small reward); 2000 (big reward) ...
Seniority in game - Spot and lock with assists 20 mechs (that are part in the Faction pool of options, so if it choses Kuritas, those 20 mechs have to be Kuritas) - (small reward); 40 mechs (big reward)
Seniority in game - Use a Trial Mech to win 2 matches (small reward); 4 matches (big reward)
Faction rank - CW - Rank 1 - Destroy 1 turret (small reward); 2 (big reward)
Faction rank - CW - Rank 2 - Kill 1 enemy (small reward); 2 (big reward)
Faction rank - CW - Rank 3 - Destroy 1 turret and kill 1 enemy (small reward); 2x2 (big reward)
Faction rank - Solo - Rank 1 - Assist kill 2 enemies (small reward); 4 (big reward)
Faction rank - Solo - Rank 2 - Assist kill 2 enemies + survive (small reward); 4 + survive (big reward)
Faction rank - Solo - Rank 3 - Assist kill 3 enemies + lock w/assist 3 enemies (small reward); 5x5 (big reward)
The usage of Trials and House mechs could also be considered for the Missions

So let's use myself as an example:

- rank 9 Davion Faction member playing for 18-24 months
Could have random missions like:
Kill Liaos / Kuritas (Solo) - Any Clanner (CW)
Assist kill 10 Kuritas / Liao - Assist kill 20 clanner (CW)
Capture 3 bases completely + gather a total of 3000 resources
Assist Kill 6 enemies + lock assist 10

Alternative Missions:
Using a Trial mech kill 2 enemies and win 2 matches / 4x4
Using a House mech:
- In CW - (only 1 house mech would be enough) Win 2 matches against Liaos/Kuritas - Any Clanner
- In Solo - Assist Kill 2 Liaos/Kuritas/Clanners + Kill 2 Liaos/Kuritas/Clanners

And so on...

More ideas might come from you guys or the PGI, the numbers used are merely there as an example but this might be a nice thing to add to the game, especially for Solo players...

What do you guys think?

Edit 17/Aug/2015 - The end result of this would turn out to be something we could use in game, for example:
There would be a counter for the missions completed (number of small rewards vs number of bigger rewards).
This counter would provide a unit of measure for future missions that could even be related to CW... The idea behind this is, if you start a CW match alone or with a group, the mission could have smaller pilot-oriented objectives.

Example for someone with a higher counter of small rewards:
Match - Defense
Objective - Before the match is over, the pilot will have to hold a specific grid (preventing the enemy from moving forward) for 30 seconds after the enemy is on that said grid.
Match - Offense
Objective - Before the match is over, the pilot will have to destroy 2 turrets (by this, be the last to shoot at a functioning turret before it's destroyed)

Example for someone with a higher counter for bigger rewards:
Match - Defense
Objective - Before the match is over, the pilot will need to destroy 20 components out of enemy mechs or have at least one of his mechs to survive the match
Match - Offense
Objective - Before the match is over, the pilot will need to have destroyed 4 enemy mechs and 2 turrets

Again, these objectives are just ideas, more ideas might come from you guys.

Achieving the side-objectives (let's call them like this for now) would enable to user to get a boost on LP, for example.

Edited by FlipOver, 28 January 2016 - 04:30 AM.

#2 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

View PostDar1ng One, on 16 July 2015 - 02:29 AM, said:

I actually like this concept.

Daily prizes for logging in are a big thing with some mobile games : eg gems, donuts.

With MWO you could get a daily mission with an 10 percent c bill boost.

EG - drop in Trial mech A and get X amount of damage, or use a narc beacon and successfully narc two or more enemies.

Good stuff

Mech-Cellent!

Great idea with the trial mechs.. will add it as also an option for the missions :)

Edit - Also change this topic into a Poll.

Edited by FlipOver, 16 July 2015 - 09:44 PM.

#3 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostDar1ng One, on 17 July 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

Clan-Tastic!

Let's hope more people like the idea and can support it with some additions or changes to it!
:)

#4 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

This is not a bad idea, actually, but it reminds me a bit too much of said mobile/facebook games. I suppose these missions would require at least a bit of work that i would rather see done on more CW modes.

#5 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 17 July 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

This is not a bad idea, actually, but it reminds me a bit too much of said mobile/facebook games. I suppose these missions would require at least a bit of work that i would rather see done on more CW modes.

Although I never played mobile or facebook games I can appreciate where you are coming from.
Why not start with these daily missions and then extrapolate them to other modes of play or even CW?
Let's call the Daily Missions as a launch-pad for the greater things ;)

#6 Lex Peregrine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 206 posts
  • LocationPoznan, Sarna March, FC

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:36 AM

I like this idea, each day of the week there could be some event that would give different types of bonuses, and extra bonuses for players who achieve every day's goal.

I also took some inspiration here to develop another idea I posted here:

http://mwomercs.com/...e-mission-type/

im sure the OP wont mind the shameless plug :)

#7 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:24 AM

I like how one idea is helping us all to brainstorm on ways to improve the game :)

And you can plug your idea, no worries :)

#8 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

Im not completely for this but I went with yes. Just dont want the game to turn into a chore is all.

#9 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 28 July 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

Im not completely for this but I went with yes. Just dont want the game to turn into a chore is all.

I totally agree with you and that's why I suggested the random missions could be repeated if not completed.
This way, people could either try again or (depending on public opinion on this) pick up where they left of the last time.

Anyway, the idea of this game being like a second job is completely out of the picture.

Edit - added a new paragraph to clarify this issue.

Edited by FlipOver, 28 July 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#10 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:58 PM

This seems like an expansion on the achievements but as a daily reward.
Am I understanding that correctly?

#11 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:00 AM

View Post50 50, on 30 July 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

This seems like an expansion on the achievements but as a daily reward.
Am I understanding that correctly?

Not far from it, actually, but with a different flavor.

As it is now, the achievements are far too few and once you get them done, it's over.

This option would provide a different challenge every day and as you progressed in the game (being as a ranked CW officer, or time spent playing solo/CW) and even when you managed to get to the top rank of CW you would still have challenging daily missions (objectives) according to your rank and experience (time spent) in the game.

But at the end of the day this would be an attempt to keep people interested in the game and remove a bit of the feeling that this game is stale or limited on achievements or objectives.

Also, the idea of missions being associated with a Solo player rank of sorts (still a work in progress this idea) is a valid option.

If it makes sense to add this last option as part of the suggestion, I'll gather information from the players and add it to the OP.

#12 Namouche

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 82 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:53 PM

They have the spreadsheets, they could perform this with ease.
a random mission every day would be something nice to have, solo or team based. Something with a nice reward that would bring more CBills than normal pugging, for example.

#13 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

At least having some sort of random mission would help to forget about the grind and provide a wide variety of goals and personal challenges.

#14 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:49 AM

Lol gh0s7m3rc, you've actually gave me another idea.

Added it to the end of the OP.

#15 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:21 AM

I really like the idea, but let's simplify this down for a beginning. If we present ideas that are too complex and require way too many nuances then this might be filed away as something not practical to implement.

How about something similar to some other games out there where you have a queue of daily missions/objectives/goals that can stack up to 3-5?
Have a whole bunch that are really basic, like playing 3 matches as a light/med/heavy/assault and you get some extra c-bills or something. Then have some that are more complex, like destroying X amount of components on enemy lights/meds/heavies/assaults, and you are rewarded with something like a little bit of MC. Okay now let's get a little more complex and bring in team objectives like obtain 5-8 flanking shots while being in lance formation or something like that and gain a day of premium time.

So here we have just introduced a simple system that increases player retention rate, could help the drop %s, could provide more of a challenge if you have to disarm an enemy compared to outright killing one, and we've just increased rewards for being team players in a way that encourages new team tactics other than giant death-ball.

Once a basic platform is implemented, and once it's been shown to work, then we can add more complexity to it and really spice things up a bit.

#16 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:54 AM

Grayson Sortek, I really understand what you are saying and by no means I would expect this idea to be fully implemented like it is right of the bat.

But I do think this idea (suggestion) could very well be a base for more complex and intricate systems that could be implemented in the game to make it improve. And that's all the suggestion is about.

If PGI starts by making simple things and then move into more complex and complete stuff, that's all great by me, as long as we get some more stuff to keep people playing except rock-and-sock'em robot combat action.

#17 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

Thinking back to WoWs, they had those daily missions too (up to three, once you complete one it is gone, one new one each day)

Their missions were something like:
Get 5 hits with torpedoes
Shoot down 20 planes
Deal 50000 damage
Rewards were either silver (C-Bills) or GXP

I could easily see something similar in MWO like,
Get 1500 damage with missiles/ballistics/whatever or even go specific weapon, like with AC/5 or LRM-15 (kind of a meta counter Posted Image )
Note: I would _not_ be in favor of just "do so and so much damage", since damage is already the main contributor to match-rewards, tying it to specific weapons would make it somewhat special.
Get 3 kills while driving a light/medium/heavy/assault/trial, perhaps split between IS and Clans
Get 10 scouting/spotting assist/hit-and-run/ rewards
and so on.

As for tying in the faction in solo, that is something I have a bit of a hard time with.
As long as there are no Davion vs. Kurita or Marik vs. Liao matches, but teams are thrown together randomly, it is a bit too, well, random, whom I am fighting and I can´t even _see_ what faction that guy under my cross-hair is (aside from pressing TAB - which I usually don´t have time for while fighting)
Getting 10 Kurita kills might be _waaaaay_ too much of a time investment.

I don´t know, it´s just something that I don´t have much influence about. I fight the enemy team anyway and I can´t really influence what player I´m fighting, because combat tactics is what determines that.

With the other stuff above, I can _choose_ to put AC/5s or LRMs on my mech, so I can get that mission fulfilled, I can _choose_ to run an ECM Raven (or a light at all), so I can get those scouting rewards I can _choose_ to use a trial/light/.... mech, so I can get that mission completed.
Any mission, that I have an active choice I can make to "yes, I´m gonna fulfill that mission, and therefore I will take that mech or this weapons or adopt this play-style" is good.
Something, that I have just have to have some luck (like, having enough Kurita players in the opposing team) is not so good in my book.

Oops, just realized this thread is half a year old.
Oh, well, still worth the reply Posted Image

#18 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

no.

because it discourages low level pilots if those dailies turn into a paingrind.

because dealing damage is not necessarily a measure of skill - i kill on less then 100 damage average from behind to CT.

because they already get match rewards for what they do and that is a lot better then the other stuff...

if it feels too much of a grind, change mechs, set yourself personal goals (6 kills in a locust, anyone ?).

motivating, thats basically what events are for.

this is not your MMO-RPG grind and i hope it will never be.

#19 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostLolo van Trollinger, on 14 January 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

no.

because it discourages low level pilots if those dailies turn into a paingrind.

because dealing damage is not necessarily a measure of skill - i kill on less then 100 damage average from behind to CT.

because they already get match rewards for what they do and that is a lot better then the other stuff...

if it feels too much of a grind, change mechs, set yourself personal goals (6 kills in a locust, anyone ?).

motivating, thats basically what events are for.

this is not your MMO-RPG grind and i hope it will never be.

Oh, I didn´t realize WOT and WoWs are MMO-RPGs Posted Image

The target numbers for daily missions shouldn´t be so high as to amount to a "grind", but not so low that you can complete them with a single match either.
They are an _incentive_ for people to log in today and play a few matches.
You say: "Set your own goals" and that´s fine for you and for me, but not for many others, let´s call them casuals (not meant negatively), who, while playing a bit of MWO, also play a ton of _other_ F2P (and other) games.
If you want for MWO to have a growing _active_ player base, you _need_ those incentives, so those "casuals" _keep_ playing MWO instead of those other games.

Because, you know, I thought that was one of the problems of MWO, low population?

Also, as I suggested, there is a _plethora_ of goals that could be set for something like this.
Get some kills, get some scouting rewards, get some spotting assists, get some hit-and-run rewards, get some flanking rewards, and the list goes on and on and on.

Pure damage is the one thing I would like _least_ for this, since damage already is what counts most for the match-rewards anyway.

#20 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:43 AM

Just added more options the the OP, especially the possibility of using Trial or House specific Mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users