Should I Upgrade My Current Rig Or Start Fresh?

7 replies to this topic

#1 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:33 AM

So I'm getting the bug to do something with my PC. It's running MWO great, usually 50-70fps, but I'm getting worried now that my PC is almost 4 years old. Here what I'm running:

Intel i7-950 oc'd to 3.57ghz
EVGA x58 FTW
12gb ram
Soundblaster x-fi fatality sound card
EVGA GTX770 classified

I'm leaning towards a new MB and CPU, while reusing the rest of my parts in the same case. Figure it will work great and won't cost too much. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Tvrdoglavi

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:05 AM

Why waste your money if it's working like it should? Better save and build a new machine from scratch next year with DDR4 and better graphics if they ever come up with a worthwhile upgrade and stop rehashing old gfx processors.

#3 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

The short and skinny is this: there is a significant difference in compute power between Haswell and Nehalem just based off the architecture improvements. The fact that Haswell is also more overclockable means you can put even more distance between them. Whether you want or need that extra horsepower enough to pay for it is the decision you need to make.

I'm guessing you're not running everything on 'very high' right now, or you'd probably see some dips in fps that are pretty unsatisfactory to most people. Most of us with Haswell chips seem to settle at around the 4.5GhZ range being the point where those dips don't happen very often even with everything on 'very high'. I'm not sure if the 770 will handle 'very high' exceptionally well all the time, but with a decent OC on it you should be able to pull a pretty good frame rate at 'very high' without too much fuss.

DDR4 is nothing special. I have it. This game doesn't care about RAM bandwidth or latency much. The difference between DDR3-1600 and DDR3-2133 is 1-3fps max. I've had my system at 4.5GhZ with multi only and DDR4-2666 and currently now at 4.46GhZ with DDR4-2805. There is no difference in performance between that and the DDR3-1866 I was running with my 2600K.

The 980 is a massive improvement over the 770 and is not a rebadge of any kind. Not sure, but I'm guessing this other guy is an AMD GPU user and bitter about the "new" 300 series.

Right now, I'd probably just go mobo and CPU, but I'd wait to see some official Skylake benchmarks in a few weeks before making a purchase.

#4 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:03 AM

xWiredx the 770 will easily handle very high settings, i ran a 660ti in my machine on very high i think only particles and shadows were at high.

OP id say if your looking to upgrade keep the grfx card for now and go cpu mobo 100% as Wired said. the 4790K's are excellent to say the least, out of the box 4ghz that with your 770 will crush MWO

#5 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 18 July 2015 - 07:03 AM, said:

xWiredx the 770 will easily handle very high settings, i ran a 660ti in my machine on very high i think only particles and shadows were at high.

OP id say if your looking to upgrade keep the grfx card for now and go cpu mobo 100% as Wired said. the 4790K's are excellent to say the least, out of the box 4ghz that with your 770 will crush MWO

I also ran a 660Ti. I was happy with it, but it struggled hard the minute any kind of AA was used. There have been fixes to AA since then apparently, so it's probably better now. The 770 is a pretty good card (being a rebadged 680 essentially) so he probably will have good luck with it. I just never had one so I didn't want to say anything on it too authoritatively.

#6 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

At "50~70fps" in MW: O, I don't see the need; That you get so many fps at only 3.57GHz is kind'a interesting … But there has been enough improvement to IPC post-Nehalem that it's not just a "Keeping up with teh Jones" move to replace it.

If you believe the Tom's Hardware thing about moving up three tiers in video cards to make the difference obvious and intuitive, then you need to hold out for a GTX 980Ti, like I am.

I do believe I saw a useful difference when I switched from DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1866, but them kits are gone, man: There's a defacto hack or two around it, but that's not fool proof. You also need to keep an eye on your QPI (CPU vtt), and turn down the Unicore multiplyer if you run out'a volts, here. Anandtech once had something on the subject X58 QPI, him running really high volts, but this is all I can find at the moment.

Also: I have the strangest *****
Spoiler

#7 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. From what you guys said and from what I've been reading online it seems like the best move is to wait and see what the next generation of CPUs will bring. Even if I decide to go to the 4790k the prices should drop once skylake comes out. My 770 is doing great so I think I can use it for at least another few years since I'm only playing at 1080p.
Would it make more sense to try and overclock my cpu closer to 4ghz? It's totally stable and temps are good at 3.57ghz with air cooling. I figure if I try to bump up the overclock I'll need to go with a liquid cooler setup, possibly H110? I know a little about overclocking but am not an expert. Any suggestions on settings to push my 950 to 4ghz?

Thanks

#8 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

8 Core Intel Eh:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($999.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($190.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1330.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-20 13:37 EDT-0400

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users