Zeus: Question About Missile Tubes Sizes

4 replies to this topic

#1 Man with Axe

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:37 AM

First of all, I know that PGI has an awful reputation of absolutely deaf to feedback company, which doesn't give a singe f... about what players say, but I still want to express my opinion about ridiculous point in the Zeus' model. Maybe some of you, fellow mechwarriors, would find it valid and similar to your own thoughts.

I sincerely can not understand or appreciate why so many Mechs got from PGI such bizarre weapons meshes (Highlander, Catapult etc), the very same negative opinion I have about visuals of missile weapons' tubes on Zeus ZEU-6T right arm. I just can't see why 20 tubes for LRMS are not good enough for any number of tubes for SRM missiles. Here some pictures to illustrate my words:

ZEU-6T with LRM20 in right arm
Posted Image

I find it resembling UB-32 rocket launcher a bit:
Spoiler

But when I install 3xSRM6 I get some bloated Popeye sailor arm:
Posted Image

I can understand why it'd be required to change arm mesh when 2-3 LRM launchers with greater number of tubes installed, but why 20 tubes are not enough for 18 missiles?
Logic and effectiveness of a weapon are missing :( Aye, BattleTech is not about logic, I know, and the only indicator of effectiveness for PGI is the money milked from fans. But still...

Wishlisting a hero-Zeus as a bonus to the thread ↓
Spoiler

P.S. Spoiler names don't work it seams.

Edited by Man with Axe, 19 July 2015 - 04:40 AM.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

That's the problem with their current hardpoint/hardpoint inflation approach.

When it comes to missiles, i always thought they should be limited not by the arbitrary hardpoint limit, but by the amount of missiles tubes.
For example, if a mech has 20 missile tubes and let's say ...3 hardpoints., so you can either put in a LRM20, 2xLRM10, 3xLRM5s, 3xSRM6, etc. As long as it doesn't go above the two limiting factors: it can't take up more than 3 hardpoints or 20 missile tubes. (With exceptions, for example the Atlas, which canonically had only 5 tubes, but had a rapid-firing LRM20, kind of like how it used to be, before the dynamic geometry updates)

But they're not going to change it.
Repeat after me: "Minimally Viable Product"

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 19 July 2015 - 05:14 AM.

#3 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:19 AM

Personally would like the hero zues to have a very weird build...
Like in each arm it's approximately 1M 1B and the Side torsos and ct got E hardpoints (1 each?)
Load out being something like AC 10 and SRM 6 in Right arm, AC 2 and LRM 15 in the other arm, large laser in right torso and the CT and LT has a medium laser.
Appeals to both people who want non-ugly duel missiles, as well as people who want duel ballistics or both.

But anyway... missiles is an iffy topic...

#4 Sheriff Cinco

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:49 AM

I think the explanation for the extra bulk of multiple launchers is what you don't see. Each different launcher needs its own ammo feeding mechanism and other mechanicals. Also a keen observer can spot the different patterns and have a better idea what they are up against, even before the loadout pops up. I like that they didn't take the lazy way out and only use one graphic for all configs.

#5 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:23 PM

Imagine getting socked in the cockpit with this bad boy

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users