11 replies to this topic

#1 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:50 AM

Will we get trading cards? I'd love to have a fancy MW:O badge/background. :ph34r:

#2 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:52 AM

I want Dev-Trading cards.

A Paul Inouye card would make my life complete.

#3 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

If it does come to Steam, do we have to link our accounts? I'm interested to see how MWO will fair...

#4 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

View PostLava Cookies, on 19 July 2015 - 07:50 AM, said:

Will we get trading cards? I'd love to have a fancy MW:O badge/background. :ph34r:

More importantly, if MWO comes to Steam... how are we going to retain the new player base? As is, there is no good reason to stick out the excessive grind to acquire and outfit mechs. New players go to CW in order to unlock free mechbays, but how long will they try before giving up? How many matches do you think they'll play when they're being verbally abused by veteran players for having 100 damage at the end of the match between all four of the terrible trial mechs they were forced to use?

How can they unlock better equipment when their score prevents them from acquiring any meaningful amount of C-Bills? Before I get people saying "b-b-but the cadet bonus", think about how many C-Bills you acquired from your cadet bonus. What did you get from those 25 or so matches? Enough to outfit a single mech? Enough to buy a single low cost (and likely low tier) chassis? What happens when their first mech purchase is a piece of trash because they don't know any better, and now they have no C-Bills and no good chassis to steadily acquire more C-Bills with? Go back to the terrible trial mechs they had to suffer through multiple 30 minute CW matches with in order to get a mechbay to buy their first trash mech? Sit through match after match of verbal abuse and in-game uselessness in order to try and get a different mech, hoping this time they'll have picked a decent chassis?

Most battletech or MechWarrior fans already know about this game and are playing it, or have written it off as a loss. The Steam community will see this game for what it is and avoid it shortly after downloading it, free to play or not. If they decide to go through the pay-wall to get some decent mechs then maybe they'll stick around, but how many people do you honestly think are going to opt to do that in a free to play game of this caliber?

Pardon me for derailing your obviously lighthearted thread about Steam stickers, but there are massive, glaring problems that need to be addressed before we can even talk about peripheral things that don't address the issues at hand. I want this game to succeed. I want PGI to succeed. But so far in my years of following the development of the game and the forums, I've seen startlingly little to dissuade me from my dismal perspective of the state of this game and the prospect of a future Steam launch. MWO is getting by on hardcore fans of MechWarrior opening their wallets to PGI in the hopes that the money eventually ends up being pushed into something that will really salvage the title. There's a lot of potential that just isn't being fulfilled or has no indication of being fulfilled in a reasonable time period. The game's been out for years and a lot of the complaints from early development still plague this game years later.

/rant

#5 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

Actually it will be very easy to integrate steam. You can buy a dlc as a starter package which includes a unique mech and a solo campaign that teaches you everything you need to know.

#6 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

View PostBSK, on 19 July 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

Actually it will be very easy to integrate steam. You can buy a dlc as a starter package which includes a unique mech and a solo campaign that teaches you everything you need to know.

That would be an excellent starting point.

Though I think if they keep the trial mech system going they should redesign them in a manner more conducive to easing beginner pilots into the multiplayer game. Good heat management, consistent weapon ranges, that sort of thing.

EDIT: and perhaps a few free mech bays right off the bat without having to suffer through CW matches as I described in my post above...

Edited by 0111101, 19 July 2015 - 12:08 PM.

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:06 AM

Important is that the units make enough recruiting jobs, it's the best way to grab newbies to teach and keep them

#8 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:21 AM

Say, some of us don't like steam. I have a couple of steam games, and I almost never play them because it is so much of a pain just to get Steam to load to begin with. Ten tries. No game. Maybe try eleven will work. Click. Nope.

#9 Overlord Neb

• PipPipPip
  • Ironclad
  • Ironclad
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostTranquil Winds, on 19 July 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

If it does come to Steam, do we have to link our accounts? I'm interested to see how MWO will fair...

Lord of the Rings Online is on Steam, and I didn't have to link anything when I started playing that.

#10 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

View PostIqfish, on 19 July 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

If that's the case I may sound like a perv but I don't care. I need one card of our new community manager. She's so precious.

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

View PostIqfish, on 19 July 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

can we mere a paul and tina card into a Paultina badge?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users