The Grasshopper Review — The Laser Brawler The Is Deserve?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:52 AM

I'm a bit late to the GHR party due to some burnout getting in the way and the C-Bill release of these 'Mechs being postponed, but I hope some of you find this review still useful/enjoyable. So much love went into this review despite the 'Mech not turning out as I expected.

I am not including the article in this post as it's an absolutely gigantic article with a few formatting tricks that only work on more HTML friendly websites. Click on the image to reach the article.

Posted Image

#2 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

Nice thorough review Tahribator.

I've just gotten back to this chassis since I never completed it back when Resistance 2 was released. At first it felt like a very clumsy mech and the only variant I could bring myself to play was the 5J due to its higher engine cap but I've learnt to play the other 2 variants.

All in all decent mechs that are plenty fun to play but that suffer from that huge CT and quirks that are could be a little more interesting.

#3 Nik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:45 AM

Excellent review. Would love to see more of these. Do you have any more??

#4 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

I finally got around to write the tips and builds article I promised. I hope you will find it useful.

Posted Image

#5 Frozen Spirit Jac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

I will have to say this out shines the BL-KNT, as it has JJ and it's faster
where as the BL-KNT still suffers the same large CT, Low hit points and the fact that it's only a laser boat too with PPC perks (PPC Perks .. ... ... :( )

#6 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

ghr has very good hardpoints and also it's xl friendly with good hardpoints, something which i was told knight won't achieve even after the hardpoint fix

#7 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

Very nice.

Some comments as someone who bought the resistance package:
- I actually love my 5J. Ironically, it's been my best preforming Grasshopper I've got. I use it for some close in skirmishing tactics. Hit them, and fade away with the incredible (for it's weight) speed and jump capabilities. With the LPLs for a bit of range (still kinda short, but it's something), and the set of MPLs for when things might run a bit hot, I've found it to my liking. My other Grasshoppers have been feeling a little lacking in comparison, except for a bit more range typically.

- As for the 5N, you saw pulses and massive laser boating, I saw 4 LLs (don't ask why). As you've probably already noticed, I don't always follow the quirks (not always to my benefit, I know). This was my next best performer for me. (Looks like my line up is backwards from yours!) (I'll also admit, my first build had 2 PPCs and 5 MPLs. It did not go very well, so I tossed the quirks to the side again!)

Last Grasshopper is kinda still a throw together for me, not even worth mentioning at this time. (Haven't had any ideas, but you may have given me some with your review.)

As a side note:
I always thought MPLs ran on the same ghost heat limits (and were even counted as) normal Medium lasers... Has it been tested that MPLs don't incur any ghost heat?

Great review. I felt you were very even and level handed in your assessment. I liked how you reserved your judgement on the mech till after you had played with it yourself. I've heard so many "it's a dead mech" before it's even released. It's refreshing to see someone take the time to make their own assessments first before decrying a mech one way or the other.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users