Why Are Mech Games Never Popular?

158 replies to this topic

#1 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

As the title says, why are mech games always unpopular and unplayed by most people. Its really discouraging that mech games are my absolute favorite type of game, but every SINGLE time a mech game comes out, its either ******, or unpopular (even if it is good) *(chromehounds, mw4, MWO, MW:LL.

And to make it worse mech games seem to be a standard for ****** frauding devs to make, cash in, then leave.

I want to see mech games make a huge comeback into the general public. I want to start seeing high budget, large, well known and well liked studios to start making mech games. There is no reason that the entire genre of giant mechs should be so hated in today's 2015 world.

I don't understand why 99% of people would prefer to play as a little army man over a giant futuristic mech! ITS SILLY how far mech games have sunken. I remember when there was a new mech game every year, 10 years ago.

TLDR+ awful grammar : *Why* in the flying F*ck are mech games not popular!? I need a world where mech games are THE #1 Top selling AND #1 highest quality, best made games.

Because mechs are fk1ng cool

Edited by TwentyOne, 19 July 2015 - 05:58 PM.

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

TitanFall tried to make it into the main series audience but was built and supported like a COD game, so it was only going to last realistically a year before the kiddies got tired of it.
Mech games are hard to make, too simple and you might as well just be using humans, too complicated and the average player probably won't get that into it. Also a lack of support.
Hawken had a chance.

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

View PostBrody319, on 19 July 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

TitanFall tried to make it into the main series audience but was built and supported like a COD game, so it was only going to last realistically a year before the kiddies got tired of it.
Mech games are hard to make, too simple and you might as well just be using humans, too complicated and the average player probably won't get that into it. Also a lack of support.
Hawken had a chance.

Hawken is also making a comeback. Hawken's developers just up and disappeared, but now a completely new team is at the helm and things are changing rapidly. Devs are on the forums and participating and player count is way up, too.

I actually enjoy Hawken. It's a different game than MWO with emphasis on a different set of skills, great visuals, and great atmosphere. It has its own problems, but it's a good, solid game.

#4 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

MechWarrior 2 was the most popular PC game when it was released. I thought MW3 and MW4 were also successful titles, as was MechInsult 1 and 2 on the Xbox.

MW:LL didn't enjoy much marketing support, and was probably complicated for console generation to install, requiring as it did a copy of Crysis to be installed and then modded.

MWO has an atrocious new player experience. Even if new players stay on beyond their cadet bonus days, there's little depth or progression to retain them.

Edited by Appogee, 19 July 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#5 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

Right now? There just aren't that many. Simple as that. No reason they can't come back, as things such as Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen have proved. Just takes a developer that's capable and driven enough to make something interesting.

MechWarrior Online is currently the only mech game with a decent player base. Hawken was cool but felt empty and doesn't seem to have a lot of content. Not sure if it's still active or not. There's a Dark Horizons game that's current in Early Access which has quite a bit of merit to it, though it's obviously an indie game and lacks polish.

Heavy Gear Assault is an upcoming mech game which, while not a simulator at all, does seem to have a lot of potential to it and looks gorgeous.

Edited by Dingo Red, 19 July 2015 - 06:08 PM.

#6 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

Mech games = simulator, sims arent popular
FPS = popular due to ease of play

I dont think I could name a complication FPS other than RainBow 6, that game wasnt very popular because it had a high skill cap.

Edited by mogs01gt, 19 July 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#7 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

Wasn't Armored Core kinda popular?

Also there's Heavy Gear Assault to come, if it ever comes.

Edited by Spr1ggan, 19 July 2015 - 06:15 PM.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

Robocraft on Steam is fun game. However, as with many other mech games, big mech/robot means customization--meaning depth. Many players instead prefer simple FPS games for instant gratification. Future development of big mecha games should be ideally mech skins on a regular FPS--to attract wider audience. Kinda like what MWO did, compared to older titles.

Edited by El Bandito, 19 July 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#9 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 19 July 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

Wasn't Armored Core kinda popular?

Moreso in Japan? If i remember right?

#10 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

There hasn't been a really good one for awhile. That's about it.

#11 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:45 PM

MOstly....

The market of huge game money is driven by teenage console peasants that have ADD and crave "boom headshot" to feel good and relieve their teenage angst.

As soon as you try to add some simulator aspects into an, essentially, FPS game, the ADD side of those players kicks in and they leave after a short time, or go bash it on their facebook to their pimple faced friends and in the end: only a much smaller base of players ends up grabbing onto it.

MW2 sold **** tons. It was a PC game, and guess what? PC were expensive back then and angsty ADD teens didn't have one(or most didn't I should say), which continued to MW3, and even into MW4. MW4 even got to compete with Sony playstation 1 and N64, and still managed good sales, but that was the absolute tail end of PC games in general. Most of PC market went to online MMO, as consoles werent potent enough to handle that at the time.

it is a different mindset now days, kids haven't all grown up playing RPG and sim games. I am willing to bet the core playerbase of MWO is a hella lot older then the target demographic for Cod and the like. I would love to see MWO go huge, but my gut tells me in todays market the ADD kidz won't have it. And if PGI continues power creeping MWO, it won't be a mech game anymore anyway, it will be CoD with robots. Maybe it has to be to bring in the "hoardes" of ADD juveniles, but I know I won;t be around anymore if they do go that route.

#12 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

It is Generational. ....I grew up on Thundar the barbarian, Gi joe, transformers, He-man, Stompers, Robotech, Star wars, Star Trek, the A-team and the God Bless Dukes of Hazard yeeeeeeehaw!

The teachers and parents tried to tame the Next with , Political correctness, touchy feelings, Barney the purple dinosarus, tele tubbies, the worst they could see was the barfing Power Rangers and that was a Voltron rip- off. It worked and stupifying a generation that prefers Texting Twilight, and Justin bieber hair.

Those great shows enspired me to join the Marine Corps, and later in life the US ANG anf fight overseas, i can only imaging what the Lady Gaga Generation will bring.

By the way the previous Mechwarrior titles were very popular but computer upgrading was a lot more expensive than today.

Edited by SaltBeef, 19 July 2015 - 06:51 PM.

#13 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

No BattleTech title has ever been popular, even MW2, which has the highest sales of any of the BTech/MW titles, wasn't popular. Mecha titles in general aren't popular, never really have been.

I can't tell you why, I'm a BTech fan, owned and played every BTech/MW title except MA2, so I do NOT see why people aren't all over this game, baffles the hell outta me.

Then again, why do millions upon millions of people play Farmville? WTBF man, seriously, why do they play that, and spend MONEY on it?

You explain that to me if you can...

Oh, and for those of you saying it's kids/teenages who spend so much on games and drive the market..guess again! It's actually older adults who have the disposable income who drive the market. Always been that way actually, people have always just assumed it was teenage boys for some reason...go figure.

#14 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Your right this game is mostly 40 yr olds.

#15 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

mechwarrior 2, 3, 4 were very successful. its this new age arcade BS that never lasts or keeps people interested for to long especially when there is zero depth and content

#16 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:11 PM

Not enough Mechs with Big Breasts, Game of War anyone. Everquest aka Everbreast where even the Lizard females sportin Double D,s. Mechs and Breasts we can make this work!!

Edited by SaltBeef, 19 July 2015 - 07:11 PM.

#17 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

It will. With melee. But I dont think is more popular IP, but can be better game thought.

#18 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

why, mechwarrior series was very popular in the past

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 19 July 2015 - 07:12 PM.

#19 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:14 PM

We need a Picture of that Wolf Hottie in her Ceremonial Wolf outfit! You know the one that welcomed Phelan Kell into the Wolf Clan. Hubba Hubba Wink wink!

#20 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

Well making popular games in general is hard. Needs to be fun for lots of kinds of gamers. Should be fun for many skill levels. Should be fun for different player types. Should be easy for new players to get into and then get harder later. Should always have something new to go after in the game. Not every game can be a huge hit. Also the one that is a huge hit might not be one that most Mechwarrior fans want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users