F22 Vs A Bt Aerospace Fighter

4 replies to this topic

#1 KING PRoCaT

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

So i have been wondering what can a aero space fighter do vs an F22 if these ever met ?Im not well versed in the capabilities of the BT ASFs but i do know quite abit about our "ancient champion".Would a aero space fighter have a hard time seeing a 20th century stealth fighter or would it just "LOL" and detect it with ease,Also if these 2 met how would it manuver Vs an F22?Heres the fight set up.
Round 1 they start 60 miles from each other BVR closing in on each other directly at medium/highish altitude.
Round 2 they are at the same altitude but they are merging (they start 600 meters away but are still going fast so the merge would take under 0.6 seconds if the F22 is super cruising and the aerospace fighter is going say 1300kph)since this is a merge they have to get on each others tail in a duel.
Round 3 The F22 starts with a 2000feet height advantage directly behind the aerospace fighter and the F22 is going mach 2 while the aerospace fighter starts right below mach 1 (900 kph.Can the aero space fighter shake him ?
RULES:the aerospace fighter gets no hacking abilities what so ever NO PIS BS like that and NO disabling devices or general stomp super weapons that are non conventional in the BT world.The F22 has access to any load out from its time.

How to answer:based on if the F22 can win or not
Round 1:No
Round 2:yes
Round 3:either way
(optional) And then answer below why it :"I think____will win because"

#2 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

Not enough time for a proper response right now, but we had a pretty awesome thread about Aerospace fighters' specs some time ago, maybe that will help you:
http://mwomercs.com/...formance-specs/

#3 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

I think if an aerospace fighter goes head to head with an F-22 in a straight up dogfight in an earth-like atmosphere, the F-22 may to some extent stand a chance in maneuverability, but I think the aerospace fighter would definately stand up on top.

In a turning fight within atmosphere, the F-22 is pretty nimble with it's thrust vectoring capabilities. If an F-22 and an aerospace fighter were to have a turning match, the limitations of each would be limited to the amount of G's the pilots can sustain (typically 9 g). In a turning match, speeds up to 1300 kph is impracticle and would likely lead to pilot blackout for any abrupt maneuver. We are looking at speeds down to 200 knots for each craft. I suspect an aerospace fighter, which tends to be significantly heavier depending on which type you are looking at, would be less nimble in atmosphere and more difficult to control. However, with a fusion engine, I suspect that an aerospace fighter can simply outrun the F-22's turbofan engines if it ever closed in with it's 20mm cannon.

Altitude in your round 1 and 3 isn't too much of a factor, as both aircraft can climb and descend rather easily. The F-22 is limited to a service ceiling of 65,000 feet, however. If a fight ever gets that high, the F-22 is toast.

Electronically, I doubt an aerospace fighter would have trouble picking out an F-22 no matter how stealthy the latter's radar profile is. Afterall, the aerospace fighter can pick out objects in space. I'm not too familiar with the radar capabilities in this regard.

The F-22 has slightly better missiles, as I believe in the BT universe, fire-and-forget missiles tend to be lostech (correct me if I am wrong). The AIM-120 on the F-22 is a fairly good piece of technology, and I'm sure even the F-22's short-range AIM-9X will have no problems finding it's target, even with appropriate counter-measures. In comparison, the BT Aerospace fighters carry a lot more arms. A 65-ton Shilone, for instance, packs an LRM20, SRM4, 1 large laser, and 2 mediums. That's enough to level a good chunk of a city.

Ultimately, the winning factor here is that aerospace fighters are armored, and from what I've read in a few novels, can take a fair bit of punishment. Even if a F-22 can score a few missile hits, I am not certain it would necessarily be enough to take down an aerospace fighter down.

Edited by Sylonce, 21 July 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#4 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:28 AM

I'm not sure they're quite comparable. Aerotech fliers carry the same armour that battlemechs do - which will shrug off a 20th century tank shell with no more damage done than scratching the paint (according to the all-important lore). Anything the F22 could throw at any aerospace fighter would just get shrugged off. Conversely, even if the AT fighter expended all its cannon or missile ammo, it has laser weapons to fall back on. Then a fusion engine renders fuel a moot point. An attrition battle will always tip in the AT's favour.

Round 1: no.
Round 2: no.
Round 3: no.

#5 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 21 July 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

I'm not sure they're quite comparable. Aerotech fliers carry the same armour that battlemechs do - which will shrug off a 20th century tank shell with no more damage done than scratching the paint (according to the all-important lore). Anything the F22 could throw at any aerospace fighter would just get shrugged off. Conversely, even if the AT fighter expended all its cannon or missile ammo, it has laser weapons to fall back on. Then a fusion engine renders fuel a moot point. An attrition battle will always tip in the AT's favour.

Even if we say that modern day explosives are comparable to what they use in the 30th century, an air-to-air missile would do about 2 or 3 damage in BT terms. Most likely less because I think most modern day missiles explode close to the target and pummel it with shrapnel and debris. The F-22 can carry at most 8 missiles, so it has a damage potential of 16 points. If all of those missiles hit, and all hit the same location, it could shoot down an Aerospace Fighter, depending on the type.
But if it is more heavily armored and/or carries a anti-missile system, the F-22 is royally f*cked. Add to that the fact that many Aerospace Fighters carry backwards-facing weapons, so even if the F-22 could outmaneuver the Fighter, it would have a hard time staying alive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users