What Is Your Favorite Inner Sphere Heavy?

46 replies to this topic

#1 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:27 PM

I have been wanting to try an IS Heavy with a standard engine since every time I get killed it says the reason was that my engine was destroyed so I'm looking for something with a standard engine.

I have been driving a Timber Wolf which I have mastered, but I'm still just a beginner.

I have been looking at the Orion Protector because I would like ballistic hard points in the torso and it seems like the Orion series can carry a lot of weapons weight.

#2 0rionsbane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

orions have pretty decent weapon space (more with xl ofc and they are relatively xp friendly) you will always die to engine, its almost 100% of the time in a heavy. on lights you might not because people shoot legs and assaults are the most likely to be head shot simply because of their slow moment. all in all 3 ways to die and the most common is engine. Clan mechs usually have less space than is mechs but of course lighter and more slot efficient weapons. I would recommend the orion VA for a good missile boat (mix srm and lrm or boat one), and the protector can do most other load outs with a few exceptions. the orion has low hardpoints so expect to be bad peeking over ridges and try to side peek behind your heavies/assults and corners.

#3 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:50 PM

The ever elusive and no show called... the Warhammer.

#4 KMCA

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts
  • LocationHamilton, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky Way, Virgo

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:00 PM

This is my ON1-K

They keep trying to tell me it's a bad design.

Posted Image

Seriously. This is a pocket assault, walk with the other assaults, shoot what the other assaults shoot and if mediums close in you keep them away from the backs of the other assaults.

It also has the firepower and speed of an assault. All it's missing is the armor. (No really, it's a low ton Atlas)

#5 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:23 PM

View PostKMCA, on 21 July 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

This is my ON1-K

Posted Image

Seriously. This is a pocket assault, walk with the other assaults, shoot what the other assaults shoot and if mediums close in you keep them away from the backs of the other assaults.

It also has the firepower and speed of an assault. All it's missing is the armor. (No really, it's a low ton Atlas)

I run my K with SRMs, instead of that LRM 15. The other weapons are the same. It caved in quite a few Timbys back in the days of wave 1, and IS vs. Clan matches.

#6 KMCA

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts
  • LocationHamilton, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky Way, Virgo

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:48 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 21 July 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

I run my K with SRMs, instead of that LRM 15. The other weapons are the same. It caved in quite a few Timbys back in the days of wave 1, and IS vs. Clan matches.

I prefer the LRM so I have a closing weapon. The LRM15 is why people tell me it's bad... But you know it's proven it's worth a few times... plus it allows me to use it on defense in CW in special ways. I've executed more than a few "Big Al" intercepts with her, nobody thinks there's a brawler ahead when there are LRM's coming over a ridge, but boy do they hit the reverse hard when the AC20 and med lasers hit them.

#7 Kinski Orlawisch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:49 PM

Thunderbolt 5SS. 300STD 7Medpuls..rest DHS.....best mech ingame.

#8 Thorn Fidelis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFixing Weaponry Like Sharpening Knifes For Efficient Kombat Effectivness

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:29 AM

FS9-S

6 Medium Pulse Lasers 145 Speed My Favorite IS Mech

Edited by Thorn Fidelis, 22 July 2015 - 04:31 AM.

#9 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

View PostMarc von der Heide, on 21 July 2015 - 11:49 PM, said:

The OP did say IS heavy (though I might take a look at that dreaded Firestarter, they always seem to wreak havok). The TDR-5SS is definitely one of the most effective heavies, very tanky with a STD300.

#10 Roosterfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

I have always liked the Catapult.

It is to bad that in MWO it's bigger than most Assaults and has stereo components hanging all over.

#11 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

I tend to get decent results out of the C1 Catapult. 300XL, +6 double sinks, 2xjets, 2xML, 2xLL, 2xLRM10 (4 tons ammo), endo steel, 384/422 armor (legs at 41, everywhere else maxed). Just hang towards the back of the pack and provide missile support as long as is practical, mix in large lasers here and there, most people that decide to mess with you up close are not expecting a Catapult to be packing the lasers you have. The XL engine is not much of an issue, the Catapult has slim side torsos, so it's pretty XL-friendly (just don't get too cocky, especially as your CT hitbox is big). (As a side note, the 300XL is a great engine Inner Sphere side, as it goes well in Catapults, Dragons, any of the 55 ton mechs, Jenners, and Cicadas.) Another option is to used LRM15+LRM5 instead of the 2xLRM10, it saves a ton that you could put towards more ammo, a token AMS with 0.5 ton of ammo, another heat sink, or up-armoring the mech some

If you really want to get silly with it, take the engine, armor, jets, and heat sinks listed above and go for 2xASRM4 (2 tons ammo), 2xLPL, and 2xMPL and just get skirmishy with it. You'd need to do a lot of hit-and-move, because your big CT hitbox is a liability, but if you stay near your team's assaults and other heavies you can deal out some good damage running close support.

#12 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:33 PM

Dragons are nothing to sneeze at either and are pretty darn fast. They aren't as tanky as the Thunderbolts though, I liked running my DRG-1N with dual AC5s, the quirks and modules make this an amazing mech as you can fire the AC as fast as you can pull the trigger

#13 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostKMCA, on 21 July 2015 - 11:48 PM, said:

I prefer the LRM so I have a closing weapon. The LRM15 is why people tell me it's bad... But you know it's proven it's worth a few times... plus it allows me to use it on defense in CW in special ways. I've executed more than a few "Big Al" intercepts with her, nobody thinks there's a brawler ahead when there are LRM's coming over a ridge, but boy do they hit the reverse hard when the AC20 and med lasers hit them.

Very true. You are using a secondary weapon the way it should be used. I should point out that I didn't say it was a bad build. Just that I ran a similar one except with SRMs. You are also correct about the backpedaling when the AC 20 roars.

#14 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:40 PM

View PostMarc von der Heide, on 21 July 2015 - 11:49 PM, said:

Seconding this recommendation.

Except for an Exe with SPLs I'm pretty sure the 5SS can 1v1 any mech in the game at close range.

#15 Questia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn permanent 250+ ping mode

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

The case has been made for the Thunderbolt-5SS, but what about the 9SE?

That thing may lack the sheer firepower that the 5SS can bring within 356 meters (quirks and modules), but arm it with 3 LPLs and a Standard 300 (295 is standard, but I prefer the extra speed, heatsink space, and savings), and it turns into a terrifyingly effective ranged poker that can go down to 20% and still operate 100%.

475 range LPLs, hell yes! It demands the best out of you, but once you're in the zone it's ridiculously easy to focus down components. That thing's my pride, it's one of two mechs (soon three with the 5SS and Stalker-4N) that I go to when I feel down / need to grind C-bills.

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

View PostQuestia, on 23 July 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

The case has been made for the Thunderbolt-5SS, but what about the 9SE?

That thing may lack the sheer firepower that the 5SS can bring within 356 meters (quirks and modules), but arm it with 3 LPLs and a Standard 300 (295 is standard, but I prefer the extra speed, heatsink space, and savings), and it turns into a terrifyingly effective ranged poker that can go down to 20% and still operate 100%.

475 range LPLs, hell yes! It demands the best out of you, but once you're in the zone it's ridiculously easy to focus down components. That thing's my pride, it's one of two mechs (soon three with the 5SS and Stalker-4N) that I go to when I feel down / need to grind C-bills.

I'm probably gonna do that with my 9SE.

#17 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

You know, back in the day, I really enjoyed my Quickdraws. Depending on the build you used, they could run a STD engine quite well.

A 5K with 6 medium lasers and a STD325, AMS, and 4JJ, for example; and it still goes near 100kph. Or you could drop the AMS and lower the engine to a STD300, and you could put more heat sinks in and run 2LL (I put them in the arms for better aiming). Of course, if you wanted maximum agility, you could always run a 360XL with max(5) JJ, endo, ferro, 2LL and 4ML, and 14doubles.

The 4G was also a scalpel with the inherent arm movement boosts, but I don't know if it still has that under the new quirk system. At the very least, it still has one of the broadest ranges of arm and torso movement (combined) among all Heavy mechs.

The reason I say this . . . the Quickdraw was in the top 5 for rescaling, so it'll be getting a look over before too long. I really look forward to that. My Quickdraws will most assuredly be coming out of the Garage when that happens. It might not be THE mech you want to grab, now, but it'll be worth keeping an eye on for the future.

Grasshoppers are also pretty decent in their ability to carry STD engines and still perform. Their almost all energy payloads and CT/HD hardpoints provide for a fair bit of Zombie capability while still being fairly agile with larger engines and jump jets. Unfortunately, while I do have a good bit of fun with them, they also suffer from some of the oversize issue that the Quickdraw has (not AS bad, since it's 70 tons, but still pretty bad). Again, it might not be THE mech that you want, but it's still a pretty good choice to consider.

However, for now, -depending on what you want- Orions are pretty solid and Thunderbolts are quite desirable in the current meta. While they might not be my cup-of-tea, maybe they'll be just what you want. Unfortunately my favorite IS heavies just aren't all that amazing in MWO, currently.

#18 Naoru

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

Thunderbolts are a solid choice. The 5SS, 9S and 9SE are all decent (well 5SS is insane in a brawl).

#19 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:46 PM

View PostKMCA, on 21 July 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

This is my ON1-K

Posted Image

That thing is my atlas with a smaller LRM and is faster and less ammo...

h-how?

Oh, and my fave IS heavy is Black Knight

#20 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:07 PM

I, Personally, Own both the Orion and the Thunderbolt. And don't really care for either. I'd rather bring a shadowhawk or wolverine, but, they're not heavies. I do know that when I play CW I tend to focus down Jagermechs and DRG-1N's, but since I don't own any yet, I shall refrain from suggesting them.

That said, between the two, I have more fun in my ranged Orion build, but that's prolly cuz it's so different than my usual brawler. (Also, note I said had fun, it's never been a solid scorer.)

~Leone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users